good day

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Oct 28, 2002.

1. People are really going to tear you up for these pictures, especially if they remember the chum picture you had......

2. schmokin'reel!!!!

diddo , hint hint, word to the wise . your fly is hung on the rung and put up, gear all nice and tidy, takes time bro,
    nice pics anyways.

3. Man, you do get into some nice fish. Good work.

By the way, where's your cigarette? Hoping to see some smokes in the mix..

Sparse

Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by.
    (Sir Izaak Walton)

4. Nice pics.

Hey the fish is on his way to Salmon Heaven anyway. Again, as long as it is legal, give the guy a break.

Randy

5. Good grief! Here we go again. Please, please, please spare us the C&R lectures. Just tell the guy what a nice fish he caught and move on to the next post.

6. Hey rainbow,

Don't let 'em give you crap! :WINK

I'm glad you're catching them and letting them go. Nice fish. That's one dark bad boy!

7. I'll try to refrain myself from stating the obvious this time.

I was actually wondering what type of fish that is. Almost looks like a steelhead, or mabey a hen silver. Steelhead usually stay somewhat fresh looking though even up to spawning, and silvers get red colored. That one is almost black. Whatever it is, that has to be the darkest fish I've seen in a while.

8. Coho, Isn't it? The long anal fin rules out a steelhead, too dark to see the tail spots, but it's got the white gum line of a silver. That Nema -- full of tanic acid.

9. UGGGHH!!! Nice fish though.

"Follow Me and I will make you fishers of Men"
    Matthew 4:19

10. I'd say it's a steelie. A very DARK steelie. I haven't seen the rosy red cheeks on anything else.

But, of course, I could be wrong! :DUNNO

11. my guess is steelhead too, man that is a dark fish
    -crump :THUMBSUP

12. Steelhead/Silver? red cheeks I'll give you that one, but the white gums, and (very acute noticable) black inner mouth...my bets on silver.

13. He used the cigs to smoke the fish; can't you tell by the photo? :THUMBSUP

14. I'd say silver, due to the long anal fin and white gums.

15. SILVER :THUMBSUP

16. Rainbow: Keep up the good work. Keep sharing the pics and keep posting.

Yesterday I drove down to Seaview and visited Rainbow. In fact he caught this fish right after I left his place. We swapped some fly rods. He is a good guy, and should be praised for getting into the sport and for sharing with us his pictures and experiences.

Now to everyone on this site who feels it is their moral duty to virtually destroy the love and passion of those who don't do things exactly as they do: If you really can't sleep at night because you have burning venomous words that need release then write them down and throw them away. Or better yet, why don't you send them to me. I will collect them and put them to print. The book will be found in the fault-finding, soap box standing, self destructive, ignoramus section of the library or bookstore near you. I know few people who are not hypocrites. So you don't have to call me one because I know I am one.

MacRowdy

17. Most excellent. Congrats on a nice gloat.

However, I believe your fish is definitely O. kisutch. Here's why:

+ Both pelvic and anal fins show a white-edge. This is diagnostic of spawning coho.

+ No [observable] spots on dorsal or tail fin. Granted the fish is dark (like a well-seasoned salmon ought to be), but a careful examination of the photo with a magnifier reveals spots along the back, but no spots on the dorsal or caudal fins.

+ White gums (i.e., not a chinook)

+ Possesses a salmon-style kype (i.e., a hooked upper jaw). A kype in which the lower jaw is more predominently hooked is characteristic of steelhead.

Cheers,

Michael

18. WOW!! Some of you guys out there really know your fish stuff!

I appreciate the lesson in fish identification. I can always stand to learn a little more.

You guys are the :pROFESSOR !!

Thanks again for the ID'ing info.

- Tom

19. My first thought was a spawning silver. But by the way it ran and a close look I do think that it is a spawning steely. There were spots on the tail and fins. It was not as dark as it looks. I mean just Look at that beautiful face! caught him in a low level river been there all summer in a hole. witch steel head will do before making there run upstream.