good day

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by rainbow, Oct 28, 2002.

1. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I have to throw in a few thoughts. First, I think this site is a lot of fun and enjoy most everything that is said, even stuff that probably shouldn't be said. It's all fun and good times so let us all lighten up a bit and let everybody just be. Personally, I feel nothing is off limits, which includes criticism, and we can all take it or leave it,
    I really enjoyed the identification discussion, even the snide remarks about the fish being so black.
    But to weigh in: that fish is a steelhead. I'm not certain from the photo the the mouth has some black parts which would, of course, rule out a steelhead.
    I'm going on the shape and look of the face. Silvers just seem to look somehow like silvers. Sounds stupid but it is true. That, my boys, is the face of a steelhead. The general shape of the body, long and skinny as it is, connotes a steelie. The red gill plates also tell me this. If I can be proven wrong, it will shake me up and I'll have rethink all that I know. And while only a short time would be required, it would still shake me up. BOBLAWLESS :pROFESSOR

2. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
    I agree that face tells all.

3. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    I concur with everything ROBERT B LAWLESS says, except the steelhead ID. Without seeing it in person, I gotta vote Coho. The shape looks like a steelie, but not unlike a Coho, especially a hen that has been slow to enter the river. The pink/red gill plate could be either. I have never ever seen a steelie that black. Except for the hump, where is the hump? The fin tips say Coho. And the white nostrils. Is it fin clipped? That would be one big summer run hatchery steelie. Here is a Cascade River hatchery Coho, doesn't this look like a sililar fish, color wise? And the more I think about it, the more I remember landing hen Coho that looked almost identical to the fish in question, yet maybe a bit smaller. The photo is of a male.

http://www.robelam.com/fishing/images/misc_fishing/cohodark.jpg

4. rainbow

rainbow My name is Mark Oberg

Home Page:
  5. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
    Good pic. I think we need an official Fish Bio to make the call :BIGSMILE

6. Nailknot

Nailknot Active Member

Media:
  7. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Lagging economic indicator

Media:
    Home Page:
    Good eye on the fin spots. I looked for them but couldn't tell. So you saved the photo to your system, then blew them up?

8. Tom Merrill

Tom Merrill Member

All I have to say is that I wouldn't mind catching any of the above fish!! :THUMBSUP

They're all pretty sweet!

After looking at the "another good day" post, I could go either way. The other one looks like a silver to me and has the rosy cheeks as well. :DUNNO

I don't care as long as I catch 'em. (And I haven't been doing enough of that recently.)

- Tom

9. Randy Knapp

Randy Knapp Active Member

My vote is definitely SILVER. By the way, I have seen many much fresher silvers mistaken for steelhead because they look so similar as they start to turn in freshwater.

Randy

10. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

I'm going to withdraw my identification of the fish as a steelhead. The mouth does bother me. There may be some black in there but it is hard to tell. So a Coho might be what it is. I'd sure like to make an upclose inspection since I consider myself as no light weight when it comes to fish I.D. I can tell most salmon by feel with my eyes blindfolded because there is a difference in the tail and the feel of the mouth. :pROFESSOR

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

Media:
    MacRowdy, Right F*****g On!

a man after my own heart...