Good Hatch Guide Books

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Entomology' started by Bluegill kid, Jun 17, 2006.

1. Bluegill kid I may be young but I can catch fish

Ratings: +0 / 0
    Im looking to buy a hatch guide book but I dont know what to get. I heard that "Hatch guide for western streams" was good and that" Complete Book of Western Hatches: An Angler's Entomology and Fly Pattern Field Guide" But I am only a begginer and I am looking for something that would be easy to understand and good to have.
    what are some other good hatch guide books that would be useful for a begginer?

thanks
  2. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Ratings: +625 / 0
    Anything by author Dave Hughes.
  3. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +107 / 0
    Bluegill kid-

The first one you mentioned, Hatch Guide For Western Streams by Jim Schollmeyer, is the one I would recommend for your situation. It is extremely well written and attractive, allows visual identification of most aquatic insects you are likely to encounter locally, has a color photo of each life stage generally available to trout, and pictures recommended patterns to imitate that life stage on the opposing page. In addition, it is small, plasticized, and spiral bound, so it can easily be carried into the field. Am I favorably impressed with it? Well, yeah.
  4. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Ratings: +237 / 0
    Hi Roger,

Is there anything equivalent to Schollmeyer for lakes? I know that the diversity in lakes isn't as great as in moving water. But, because the fish have a longer time to look the fly over, I think that it is even more important to have something that is a reasonable facsimile of the real bug. Any suggestions for books or web sites for stillwater bugs, beyond your own?

Thanks,

Steve
  5. Scott Behn Active Member

Cab, he has one for lakes as well...

:cool:
  6. Taxon Moderator

Ratings: +107 / 0
    Hi Steve-

Like Scott says. However, I must confess that I don't have, nor have I looked at the stillwater version. Therefore, am not in a position to comment on it. However, I'll remedy that in the near future.
  7. HappyHooker Fly Fishing Enthusiast

Hey there,

I was doing some digging around recently and came across this one...It's specific to Washington...Might be just what you're looking for...Looks to have some pretty decent reviews...

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=conquestempir-20&o=1&p=8&l=as1&asins=1885106580&fc1=000000&IS2=1&lt1=_blank&lc1=0000ff&bc1=000000&bg1=ffffff&f=ifr" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

-Michael
  8. David Holmes Formerly known as "capmblade"

Ratings: +31 / 0
    I have that book and love it. It is a great guide, especially for someone new to the sport. I was introduced to Big Twin, Dusty, Coldwater and one of the Blue lakes through that book, and those have been some of my best days fishing EVAR.

But its not a hatch guide. It has hatch charts but no bug pictures.
  9. cabezon Sculpin Enterprises

Ratings: +237 / 0
    Thanks guys. I'll have to add the stillwater version to my library.

Steve