Good lake to take the kid?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by eio, Oct 30, 2007.

1. eio

eio Large member

Can anyone recommend a halfway decent lake not too far (within an hour's drive or so) from SEA (and not Green Lake thank you) that I can take my 6 yr old son to fish?

We'd like to catch some trout, but he's not all that particular.
    Someplace with bank access where I can use my 5wt and he can throw a hook and worm.

Thanks.

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    You have today and tomorrow to hit rattlensnake. No worms, but you can put a fly off a bobber and get results...

Other than that, there is beaver, but that can be a zoo when the fish are in (recently stocked).

Lake fishing in general is just about done for the most part (for kids at least, hard core lake fisherman fish year round with no problem).

3. Be Jofus G

Be Jofus G Banned or Parked

Media:
    Is there any chance of you scoring a small boat or canoe for a day?

4. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    Another try, if you prepare accordingly, is to hit Fish Lake. A bit farther to drive, but it can be worth it.

They rent boats. Get one with a motor - the wind can catch you off guard...

Bring lots of snacks and toys to keep the little guy happy. Some hand warmers for in the boat can be a trip savor....

I like to drive up wind, then set out my kids line first. Usually this will be a single size 8 hook tipped with a nice chunk o' worm. Up about 2 feet is a split shot or two depending on how hard the wind is blowing. The harder the wind, the more weight is needed. You don't have to be all that deep though - unless you are lucky enough to have a flat calm clear day....

Cast it out and let the wind just drift you along. Then get your fly rod ready to do the same with a wooolly bugger (or other streamer type fly) and perhaps a san juan worm or other trailing fly. If you're luck is anything like mine, you may not get the chance to get that fly wet though. You'll be too busy helping your kid land his fish - again and again until his limit is met (even if you release the fish while using bait...).

If you plan on keeping them (and they are tasty from fish lake), bring a cooler of ice and just cut the jugular and toss on the ice. Clean them when you are done for the day.

5. Gary Thompson

Gary Thompson dirty dog

I agree with the Fish lake plan.
    Always have a great time up there this time of year.

6. Josh Brower

Josh Brower AKA Salmon, Trout, Steelheader

yea what they said. there are alot of perch there too.

7. Jim Hagenau

Jim Hagenau Member

Spanaway Lake. Rent a boat and pull wooley buggers. You'll get em.

8. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Beaver Lake or Pine Lake in Sammamish are decent

9. Eddie L

Eddie L New Member

Media:
    Beaver Lake planting- http://www.wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/release.php?id=nov0207b

NEWS RELEASE
    WASHINGTON DEPARTMENT OF FISH AND WILDLIFE
    600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

November 02, 2007

King County's Beaver Lake to receive
    3,000 large hatchery rainbow trout

OLYMPIA - Anglers will soon have an opportunity to catch lunker trout in Beaver Lake near Issaquah, thanks to the release of about 3,000 hatchery rainbows weighing between 3 to 5 pounds each.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) is scheduled to release the fish during the week of Nov. 12. The trout were part of an educational display at WDFW’s Issaquah Hatchery.

Beaver Lake is best fished by small boat, although anglers also can be successful fishing from shore, said Chad Jackson, inland fish biologist for WDFW.

The lake's access site is most easily reached by way of East Beaver Lake Drive Southeast, off Southeast 24th Street in the city of Sammamish. Parking for vehicles and boat trailers is limited, and a valid WDFW vehicle access permit must be easily visible in or on vehicles parked at the access site. See http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/vup/ for more information about vehicle access permits.

Beaver Lake is one of several westside lowland lakes open to fishing year-round. Internal combustion boat engines are prohibited on the lake. All anglers 15 years of age and older are required to have a valid fishing license. The daily bag limit is five fish, and bait anglers must keep the first five trout they catch.

Anglers are advised to check the sport fishing rules pamphlet, which is available on WDFW’s website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/regs/fishregs.htm.