Good luck to deer hunters

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Josh Benjamin, Oct 12, 2006.

1. JS Active Member

Ratings: +41 / 0
    NFR-good luck to deer hunters

The bean burrito is a must, but then you have to shout a muffled "Hoowwwrrrly shiirrrrrt":p
    cheers
    skeels
  2. Roper Idiot Savant

Glenraven Ranch
    Ratings: +770 / 1

Good luck my butt, deer hunters, hah! I was hunting Mt Hull for grouse and saw the "orange bloom" in full blossom. What a buch of road hunting Gomers! The topper was the two idiots blasting down the washboard with idiot number 3 standing in the pickup bed, hands on the roof "scouting" for that big buck. What a bunch of jerks! Gives honest deer hunters a bad name.

Don't forget idiot number 4 stopped on the county road glassing 4 does about 75 yards off sitting inside the cattle corral of Joe Local farmer. Did he really think one was a legit target? At least he could have used the truck hood for a shooting rest, right?

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  3. Lucky Ducky New Member

Seattle Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0

You know who makes use of that stuff is buckskinners, those mt. man reenactors. I did some of that back in the 1980's. They hold these rendevous which is a big camp out and muzzle loader shoot. Anyway you had to wear clothing that was in use in the mountains no later than 1840. Which meant you had to sew up your own skins. Whagh!
  4. Shawn Seeger (aka. wabowhunter)

Burien, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0

Well… Muzzleloader Early Deer Season was interesting to say the least… First we were moved a week later in October, so it just so happens that it also was the full moon week. Moonrise 9:00pm – Moonset 1:30pm out all night and most of the day…

[IMG]

Second (NO OFFENSE INTENDED), since our season was moved up, it butted right up against the Modern Firearms (Rifle) Season, we had everybody and their brother, cousin, uncle, dog showing up on Wednesday and Thursday, so lets just say the noise and shooting level went up (I don’t understand why they don’t sight their rifle in before they get to where they want to hunt or where others may be hunting).

So, the weather was nice, we wished it would have been cloudy to cover the moon, but it was cold in the morning, 28-34, and then warm in the afternoon, 55-65. We were hunting above 2800ft. Mid Central Eastern Cascades. Fall Colors… gotta love it...

[IMG]

We had done some good scouting over several months, noting several really good spots with sign and animals. We literally beat the brush and put in some serious miles (and elevation gains) of hiking and hunting. Even the horseback hunters were impressed with how far and the many locations that they had seen our tracks.

So, on the day 5 of the 7day hunt, I had climbed to about ¾ of the way to the top of Yellow Hill and then traversed the side to get to one of the ridge tops that I had scouted. I spent the morning watching the opposite hillsides and draws for sign of movement… at 8:00am I spotted 2 bucks, 1 2x2 not legal to shoot, and 1 3x3 legal to shoot, on the opposite ridge feeding down the hill. So, I skirted down the hidden side of my ridge to be opposite and then tried to work my way up and over to them…. Every time I went towards them they would just move up and into the brush… when I went down they would come back out… I got tired of that game and physically worn. So, I climbed back to rock lookout on the ridge. I went back to watching. The bucks fed down and into the brush filled draw. At about 10:30am I heard noise behind me, out came 4 young deer, 3 does and then I saw antlers… but it ended up being another 2x2 not legal to shoot.

At about 11:30 I radio My Partner and say I am heading down the mountain and meet him at the truck for lunch and then back out and at it…. He agrees… so I start down the ridgeline and get to the “Sacagawea Rock” (one that the wife had stood on and pointed at some deer the month before) to take once final look across the draw at several clearings before the hike out…

[IMG]

12:00, Well, I do my look and then am just standing looking at the beautiful colors and no noise, when all of a sudden… OH Shiat… right below me on the cross game trail just inside the tree line there stands a buck looking right at me. I glass him and can’t see the points, so I range find him, 43 yards, then I go back to the binoculars… turn your head, turn your head… as I am slowing everything down… finally he looks forward up the trail… there it is 3 points… he is going to be mine…. I pull the double set trigger, then put the sites on him, and ease the my finger onto the front trigger, and my smokepole barks!!! Down drops the buck…! So, I go to the quick reload mode… ready to shoot again if needed… as I start down the steep hillside to the buck… I get about 15 yards away and he tries to stand up… and collapses and falls off the trail and goes rolling down the hillside. So, I wait and he stops sliding… then I wait… then I start down the hill again and he moves his head… that starts him sliding down the hill again and finally stops at the bottom in the thick vine maple… so I get down there and put a finishing shot into him. YAWHOOO…..

Oh Shiat… now I have to get him back up that steep ridgeline and down the mountain…. My Partner calls on the radio and asks what I shot… and then says he is on his way… thank God for GREAT hunting partners…!

So, while I am gutting him, My Partner heads out for the game cart for part of the trip out once we get to the lower hillside. It ended up taking us both working our ass off from 1:00 to 4:30 to get the deer to the truck at the trail head…. Wow it was hot hard work…! But he is in the cooler now…!

[IMG]

My Partner had been drawn for a Doe Tag… so on Thursday afternoon we found a nice big doe… and he filled his tag as well… so we are done deer hunting…!

Now… getting ready for the late season Elk hunt…! Planning on taking my son out during the late rifle hunt… maybe need another freezer.

Cheers and Tight Lines.... wow... now maybe I can go fishing... :beer1:

wabowhunter
    (aka Shawn)
  5. mr trout Trevor Hutton

Yakima, WA, USA.

Good story! and great pictures. Mid Central Eastern Cascades?. Sounds like the general area I hunt. But I rarely see bucks and they don't have much size when I do... Except for one I saw 2 years ago driving home from fishing, that boy had some bigguns.
  6. D3Smartie Active Member

WA
    Ratings: +4 / 0

i had my first duck hunt of the year yesterday. Limited in the afternoon afterchasing quail in the am. 4 widgeon, 2 mallards(a banded hen) and a pintail.
    Kind of nice to sit in the blind afterchasing chukars in hells canyon for the 3 previous days. can;t wait for some cold weather :)

shawn- great job on the buck with the smokepole.
  7. Lucky Ducky New Member

Seattle Wa

The biggest buck I have ever seen was spotted when I was driving along I 80 in broad daylight heading east out of Reno along the Truckee river. At first I thought it was a log floating in the river with big branches coming off it, but then I saw it was a buck! I had to pull over to get a better look, there wasn't much traffic. He came out of that river basin onto the shoulder of the road, the biggest Mule deer I have seen. He was completely fearless. Trotted across that interstate as majestic as could be, and climbed up the hills on the other side disappearing into the rocks and sage.

Then more recently I was driving at night out of Arcada California on my way back to Seattle. I was driving a 2 lane winding hwy through rugged country that would take me to grants Pass. It was completely dark, then in my headlights appears this full grown mountain lion or cougar! this guy was big too. Big head, sway back, and a long fat tail. He was fast, only saw him for a second and he was out of my headlights and gone.
  8. ncitrez Too many hobbies.....

Gig Harbor, Washington, USA.

wabowhunter - nice buck! :thumb: That's some pretty country and great photos. It's no wonder you witnessed the blaze orange hatch - that area is one of the most heavily hunted areas in the state. Sure was nice hunting about 15 years ago.

If you're running out of room in the freezer, I'll be glad to lessen your load by taking a few steaks! ;) ;)
  9. Michael Dunn New Member

Vashon, Washington

Nice going Shawn! Nice buck. I think I have that same muzzleloader. Is that the 54 cal?
    Fun aren't they? I love the smell of black powder in the morning!
    Cheers
  10. Shawn Seeger (aka. wabowhunter)

Burien, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +15 / 0

Mickey and other that have asked... that is a Lyman Great Plains .50 cal Hunter Barrel... I am going to buy the regular barrel for comp shoots...

I love everything about it... and love to shoot it whenever I can...

wabowhunter
    (aka Shawn)
  11. Michael Dunn New Member

Vashon, Washington

Ok. I'm not familar with the Lyman. I have a Thompson Hawkin that looks just like it. Fun stuff!