Good place for beginners...fly recommendations?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jdogburke, Sep 7, 2002.

1. I'm very new to flyfishing and live in the Spokane area. Are there any sure-fire rivers, lakes, or streams where I might have some luck and build some confidence?

Any fly-pattern recommendations for the lakes and rivers this Fall?
    :DUNNO

jdogburke

2. Hopefully this won't be "The blind leading the blind." I'm also new to Fly Fishing and pretty new to spokane as well. But hopefully this will get the ball rolling and some of the more experienced guys can correct me.

My first experience with Fly fishing in spokane was in the Spokane River. I almost always fish at Mirabeau Point which is near the Valley Mall. I usually end up there simply because it's within 10 minutes of home and work. I usually fish an Elk Hair caddis or a wooley bugger. But lately the midges seem to be taking over. I have to warn you, being a novice I've found this area (more specifically the fish here) to be very frustrating.

If you just want to catch some fish and have some fun I would try Horseshoe lake. You can check out www.washingtonlakes.com for info and directions. The lake is rather small, but I would suggest a boat or tube. When I was there a few weeks ago I caught a half dozen bows (all on an Elk Hair caddis) between 6:30 and 8:00 pm. Most of the fish were around 10 inches but one or two were close to 14. It was a lot of fun to go fishing and actually catch something for once.

If you have some time to do some camping you might want to cruise up to Newport and check out No Name lake. If you go make sure you have some renegades in your fly box. You'd probably do well with an Adams too. This lake was a lot of fun a was my intro to cutthroat fishing.

I hope that's not too much boring info :CONFUSED.

3. Both of you are

very close to outstanding fishing if you have time to take a few 2 to 3 day trips. If I was in your position, I would fish St, Joe river and Kelly Creek in Idaho. I have also been told that some of the Forks of the Couer de Alene river is suoppse to have some good to excellent fishing, and of course you are within 2 to 3 hours of the Clark Fork, Bitterroot, and Blackfoot Rivers. Actually you could fish anyone of these rivers in one day. That is what I would do if I was living in Spokane. As far as the Spokane River, try it around State Line.

4. Both of you are

What do I know---I'm just an old man

Maybe I should move to Spokane. I'm tired of the no fish rivers around here. Puget Sound area. Oh,I've been fishing around here for over 40 years.

Jim