good pontoon boat for the Yakima or Bitterroot?

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by BillFromBothell, Mar 24, 2006.

1. BillFromBothell

BillFromBothell New Member

It's getting harder and harder to be a bankie so I'm seriously thinking about a pontoon boat. I'll be looking for something river-worthy but no whitewater stuff. I'm thinking about something capable of going down the Yakima or Bitterrroot rivers and probably the local lakes once in a while.

I have looked on the Cabelas site and many of the manufacturers sites. The choices can be overwhelming. Obviously safety is my first concern but I am definitely price conscious.

So, I'm looking for recommendations for a new rower. My first question is, is this something a new guy can safely learn on his own? After that what should I be looking for?

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Itchy Dog

Itchy Dog Some call me Kirk Werner

Media:
    Home Page:
    Try a Watermaster from the WFF gear program. Take it over to the Yakima for a day. Very stable, easy to maneuver with just fins so you can have yur hands free for things like fishing, and versatile because you can just stand up whenever the water allows, stop and fish, then hop back on the seat. Fits in the trunk of a car, inflates in a few minutes with a foot pump, and you can pick it up and carry it much easier than a pontoon. You'll spend more, but after having used mine twice last weekend, I'm glad I took the plunge (figuratively).

3. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    iagree

watermaster is your best option.
    especially with NO frame- you can even tote it on a motorcycle like chris does! thus it fits in any vehicle.

4. Rick Phelps

Rick Phelps Member

I bought a Dave Scadden, I could not or would not suggest you or anyone else buying this boat. They will fix anything that goes wrong if you have the patience to work through it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

For the money I think there a whole lot of good boats to choose from. Pay close attention to things like the welds on the frame as well as the material that the pontoons are made of as well as welded seems on the pontoons. Check to see how long the company has been in business.

Check with Michael at Pacific Fly fishers in Mill Creek he carries the Buck Bags line. If I had it to do over again it would be a toss up between the Bucks Bag and the Outcast. Both are great pontoon boats and the quality is real good.

Good Luck
    Rick

5. Sam Vradenburg

Sam Vradenburg Member

Media:
    I have the Steelheader 12' Pontoon made by Skookum Products and it works just fine on the Yakima. It's plenty stable and comfortable for two folks. It's portable, though I'm looking for a trailer for it 'cause at the end of a float I'm tired and it takes some time to break down. If your looking for just a one man boat I would check out the Watermaster though first because of it's portability.
    The other option is the framed rafts, but they are pricey (about twice the cost of a pontoon) and I haven't heard much feed back on them.

6. RKBTribute

RKBTribute New Member

Highly recommend Buck's Bags -- must bought their 9' High Adventure craft, very nice so far. This is a lower priced toon and does not have the stainless frame, but I found it at Sportsmans Warehouse on sale for $300! It has more features and goodies than most for far more $$. If you're looking on the lower end of the scale, this is a great option worth at least checking out.

7. RKBTribute

RKBTribute New Member

Highly recommend Buck's Bags -- just bought their 9' High Adventure craft, very nice so far. This is a lower priced toon and does not have the stainless frame, but I found it at Sportsmans Warehouse on sale for $300! It has more features and goodies than most for far more $$. If you're looking on the lower end of the scale, this is a great option worth at least checking out.

8. yngfishinful

yngfishinful New Member

Waterskeeter 3 man 16' pontoon boat all the way! We got ours last month and we've done a few runs down the Puyallup and we love it! Check it out...do a search for "waterskeeter pontoon boats".

9. Nick A.

Nick A. New Member

Media:
    I own the outcast Pac 900, And it does well down the yakima and kicking around in the lakes, High quality.:thumb:

10. gt

gt Active Member

Media:
    if your primary purpose is still water or easy moving water like the yakima, a pontoon should work just fine. remember these frames are designed to drop you below the top of the tubes so you can use fins. in class II, you will have water in your lap. if you are ok with that, find one that supports your weight with room to spare.

if you are going to get into more moving water or doing white water or running rivers in the winter, then perhaps you should consider a cataraft. this frame sits you even with the tops of the pontoons, no fins necessary. typically these pontoons are also quite a big larger in diameter 20" and up so the carrying capacity is much greater. these are also white water types of setups so running most anything is a possibility. mine has two frames, a rowing frame and a passenger frame. i can use the rowing frame without the other if i am alone.

these are lots bigger than a pontoon and futizer to set up, lots of straps. so i have put mine on my utility trailer during the season. welded up a winch stand and some rollers to make loading easier.

whatever you decide to do, throw away the crap aluminum oars that come with the boat. invest in some quality white water oars ahead of time, cataract are a great investment in your life. and don't drift without your PFD ON.

11. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Go with a watermaster, it can pretty much do anything you would want to float down anyway. You can float and fish out of it great on the yak, but i would not do so on any river in montana as trouble comes at you twice as fast and with a lot more fish... I aheva watermaster that i love and essentially gave up a drift boat for, although i am thinking of getting a montana boatbuilders boat.

12. FlyShopKristin

FlyShopKristin Going Online

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sweet! Those Montana Boatworks boats look awesome!!

Bill - The versatility of the Watermasters is hard to beat. I also recommend you check one out through the gear program & try it out.

13. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Go with the Water Master ! You can't do this in a pontoon boat !iagree

14. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    All good advice. But disagree Kevin, yes you CAN do that in a pontoon. I used to take the floor out of my steelheader on some trips and do that exact same thing (especially during the summer when I wanted to wet wade alot but still float). I used to do that with my outcasts (YEARS ago mind you), I simply put a bungee chord that stretched across the foot pegs. So all I'd do is put my feet down and the boat came with me.

15. speyforsteel

speyforsteel Degenerate Caster

A nine foot or bigger American made boat will serve you fine,mine is a nine foot Buck's Bronco,good boat as was my old boat,a set of Bad Cat pontoon's with a Skookum Osprey frame.
    As for the new rower thing-do not try it alone-go down a few river's with a few good rower's first,people die every year floating down river's and even the "easy" water can kill but most good fly fishing water is not to bad and a pontoon boat can go places a drift boat can't.
    I also recommend Pacific Fly Fisher's he has a few boat's on the floor that you can sniff and fondle and I have floated a couple river's with him,he won't sell you "trouble".

16. Dan Soltau

Dan Soltau New Member

Media:
    Holy shiznit, Kevin is that a shot of a fish eating your fly? You should send that to watermaster, they will give some money or free stuff. That is sweet

17. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Media:
    Buck's Bag's South Fork! ( made in USA )

18. earlsmith

earlsmith Member

Media:
    i have southfork model bucks bag that has been everywhere, down the bighorn, the madison the Yak and on numerous lakes, I will stand up for this product because of it's stainless construction, it has never failed not once, I( have overnighted with a dry bag and camp gear, really like this boat. One draw back I would say is the lack of an anchor pully in the rear (at least it wasn't a design option in 95'. I have built a wood slat platform to replace the mesh one for the rear cargo stow, and built my anchor pulley into that, the sturdy surface is a plus, and the anchor is also a plus.

You have to realize that you may still find that you are most effective in a river either anchored or on foot, I really think that u need to think about te floatng device as transportation from point to point. You should attempt to borrow rent a pontoon boat and do the Yak or something, because if you envision having the freedoms of a drift boat, your a little off. You don't simply float perfectly registered tot e bank and cast, fins are useless in a river that moves with any current.

I am sold on lakes, there really is no more comfortable way to be on the water, your faster, it's less tiring, you have a place to put a cooler, I really enjoy the boat. I break it down and it fits in the trunk of every car I have ever put it in, or strap it to the top of the Durango and take it fully assembled, either way, an outstanding buy.

Look very carefully at the oarlocks. these need to be adjustable forward and aft, and need to take some abuse!!! Bucksbags has the sturdiest construction in this regard, You get what you pay for, there is a huge difference in quality from $300 to $500.....go look at the product in person if possible, Creekside carries all BucksBags products. I have seen friends with other brands, and 3 out of 5 bought my model after being unsatisfied w their first purchase.

The thing has been down some tough water and beached and manhandled and never leaked,broken, or failed to perform, it will float 500 lbs of person and stuff, I know cause Ive done it.

My two cents

Earl Smith

19. martinrjensen

martinrjensen BambooBoy

Home Page:
    Excuse me but yes you can. This is no problem with a pontoon boat. Exactly as pictured.
    martin

20. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

Media:
    Well I stand corrected. Don't get me wrong pontoons are good. Like everyone though I guess what ever you own is what you like. Yes Dan this is the exact moment of the fish eating the fly. It was my buddy Jack just below High bridge.