Good service from Outcast for float tube!

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Starman77, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Recently I started to get a slow leak in one of the bladders for my Outcast Fish Cat 4 float tube (purchased at the Puget Sound Fly Company). It was around the valve and I knew it would be difficult to repair. At first I thought about the expense, as I've heard that the replacement bladders are quite expensive. But, then I checked on the warranty for this float tube and it is 5 years, so the tube was still under warranty. I e-mailed Outcast customer service and asked if I could just return the leaking bladder instead of sending in the entire float tube. I was advised to just send them my mailing address and they would send out a new bladder at no charge. Isn't that great? :thumb: I received the new bladder in 4 business days. Hard to beat a 5 year warranty and good service like that. I just ordered another Fish Cat 4 for the wife.

Rex

2. Glad to hear about another positive customer service experience from Outcast.

Sorry though, to hear of yet another leaking Fat/Fish Cat. I haven't had mine a year and it's been back to Boise for a new bladder and valve once already. After a trip with Tim Cottage to the tree farm a couple weeks ago, it's leaking again, although very slowly this time.

The seat in Tim's SFC was leaking on the same trip. He'd patched it before but it didn't hold, so he carried his K-Pump with him, hooked up directly to the seat valve. Every 10 minutes or so, he'd shoot a couple dozen shots of air into it to keep from sliding off.

I sure do hope this doesn't become a habit.

K

3. I kind of think that for most float tubes, no matter what brand or type of bladder, it is just a matter of time before a leak occurs (kind of like waders). Even with the sturdy old truck tire innertubes used in the old donut-style float tubes, I had 4 innertubes blow out, fortunately while they were hanging on my garage wall. With these newer, thinner, light-weight bladders, it seems to me that there is even more chance that there will be a small puncture or leak develop. I guess that's why I was impressed with Outcast's 5 year warranty and quick, trouble-free replacement of the bladder.

Rex

4. RIGHT ON!!! GOOD TO HEAR!!
    I HAVE HAD GOOD SERVICE FROM THE FOLKS AT CADDIS AS WELL. IT TAKES A WHILE TO GET THE POINT ACCROSS THAT, I LIVE IN WASHOUGAL, I KNOW WHERE THEIR SHOP IS, AND THAT I CAN COME BY TO PICK UP A BLADDER. THEY THINK THAT NOBODY THAT USES THEIR PRODUCTS LIVES NEAR BY OR SOMTHING.
    ONCE THAT IS TAKEN CARE OF, I WILL HAVE THE PART WAITING FOR ME WHEN I GET THERE.

5. Absolutely.

But while my $350 SFC has already had two leaks, a trip back to the Boise mothership and a replacement bladder, my $90 TU Gunnison with its cheap vinyl bladder is still ticking despite being rolled up tight and lugged on any number of bushwhacks with generally poor treatment. I guess that expensive doesn't always equal better.

K

6. Returning from the trip to the Tree Farm that Kent mentioned above where I had a new leak after patching the old leak, I put my SFC partialy inflated bladder in the bath tub and found 5 new leaks :eek: .

The seat portion of the SFC bladder has internal baffles running crosswise (in the backrest they run lengthwise). These baffles are heat fused in place. Each leak, a total of seven leaks, is at the end of the baffle. I patched them all with seam seal and also spread a patch of seam seal on all of the other baffle ends assuming they will also leak eventualy. I have used the tube twice since then with no further leaks. All seam seal patches remain solid.

Clearly this is a manufacturing defect as all leaks are at the termination of each baffle. If Outcast will just send a new one based on a phone call they will be hearing from me soon.

Other than that its a great boat.

TC