good spey casting instruction websites?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by ak_powder_monkey, Aug 2, 2007.

1. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I'm just trying to learn how to spey cast with my new switch rod and outside of a roll cast I have no clue exactally what I'm trying to accomplish (other than long casts roll casting?). I'm sure theres some threads about this but maybe we can make a nice long list and sticky it for lazy people like me?
  2. KENAIKING New Member

MT
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I would suggest the spey to Z video. Awesome instruction and really breaks it down.
  3. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    RIO's new two disk Done by Simon G, et. al. is a work of art .... including the section on 'cut outs.' Hilarious ... nice to know one of the best in the world also screws up.:cool:
  4. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    so what's a spey cast?
  5. flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

http://www.sexyloops.com/flycasting/tspey.shtml

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...stifying_the_Two_Handed_Rod_by_Jack_Cook.html

from 2nd link:

The cast can be broken down to three distinct movements. For the sake of this discussion we will term them (1) lift, (2) flick, (3) fire. The lift is very, very important. The cast begins with the line straight downstream under tension and the rod tip near the water.

The Rio video is great, as well as the Sandy River Spey Clave video from 4 years ago I believe.
  6. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
  7. FLGator Member

PNW
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    speypages.com
  8. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
  9. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +121 / 0
    AK, the various excellent spey teachers describe the different spey casts very well. Here's the simple-minded, proto-spey overview:

All spey anglers are faced with the task of getting their fly from where it ends on the previous cast (downstream, tethered to your rod by the line) out to where you want it to land (which may be straight out into the stream from your position, out and upstream, or out and downstream). It would be great if we could do that with a single stroke of the rod. Unfortunately, there's no known way to cast a normal length of line from the downstream dangle position out to where you want the fly to land in a single motion. It requires a multi-stage maneuver. The first part of that is to bring the fly back close to the angler and in or on the water. More than half a dozen ways have been devised to do that; these are the differently named and done spey casts. Once the fly is plopped down close to the angler, he transitions into the second phase of the spey cast, which is a special kind of backcast called the D-loop, which throws the line behind the angler's shoulder, with the fly remaining on the water. This loads the moving line's energy into the rod. The final move is to stroke the rod forward, in the intended direction of the cast. The D-loop backcast is the same in all spey casts.

The fly on the water near the angler, even if it's there for just a moment (with some spey casts, it's there for more than a moment), provides inertia that helps to "cock" the rod during the D-loop. By definition, in all spey casts the fly is in contact with the water. This is in contrast to overhead casting, where the line and fly are airborne during the casting procedure. (That's with both spey rods and single-hand rods.)

Clear as mud? Now you're ready to learn a few spey casts.
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    this seems like it'll be fun
  11. Hal Eckert Member

West GLs
    And remember unlike I did my first day with the spey rod thats its called a "two handed rod" for a reason, it took a day or two as I recall to get the 42 years of single handed casting reflexes starting to remember to hold the rod with two hands instead of one. :beathead:

:beer2:

BG
  12. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +126 / 0
    I'll over simplify for illustrative purposes. First, and most importantly, all a spey cast is, is a 'change of direction cast, NO different than any cast with a single handed rod. ALL of the mechanic's that make a single hander cast work are still 'in play' with a two hander rod ... i.e. 180 degree change of direction, etc.

The major difference is you've cut out all the false casting needed to get to the 180 degree change of direction (down stream to across stream). This is achieved by the placement of the 'anchor;' because of this you must (just like a one hander) make your forward cast OVER the anchor point (or you get what's called "the bloody L." Think ripping a bucket out of the water).

RIO's (with Simon G., et. al.) really demonstrate this, etc., on their video so I'll not over kill this. BUT as NM says above ALL spey casts are done in three parts! NOT 'one, two, three' as fast as you can, but 'A one, and a two, and a three; idea being (a very common casting error) is folks want to do a 1 and a half and turn the 'lift' into a 'drag ..... ' Do this and you're dead before you start!bawling:
  13. Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Peck, ID
    Ratings: +7 / 0
    A dynamic roll cast with a change of direction.

[/QUOTE]I'm sure theres some threads about this but maybe we can make a nice long list and sticky it for lazy people like me?[/QUOTE]

If you go to the Red Shed Fly Shops home page there is a link called On-line Spey Casting Resources. You will find the sticky you are looking for there.
  14. Ryan Buccola I ain't broke but brother I am badly bent

Bend Oregon
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    try the deck hogan modern spey casting techniques...always good to watch the master.