Good spots on the canal?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by ewhitaker75, May 10, 2005.

1. ewhitaker75

ewhitaker75 Member

Anyone willing to divulge some good spots on the Hood Canal that are accessible by boat or to hike to? You can PM me and I promise I won't tell anyone :thumb:

2. kjackson

kjackson Banned or Parked

I won't divulge any spots, but I'll give you a few guidelines that have worked for me.

River and creek mouths and attendant estuaries usually have some fish in the area.

Look for areas where the tide pushes by obstructions-- especially if it's associated with a bay or river/creek.

Keep your eyes open for volunteers. The most impressive concentration of large feeding cutts/salmon I've seen was on a broad flat far from a creek, but the give-away was the number of birds feeding on the bait the fish pushed up.

Jumping fish are in that area for a reason, and if you find one cutt, you'll likely find others... but if you're faced with schools of one, move.

That should get you started.

Good luck.

3. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

There is one good way to check out the spots on Hood Canal. Take your Gazetteer, a large lunch and a full tank of gas and start checking it out. There is no better way to check things out than to make it an adventure. If you understand the habits, habitat and timing of salmon and cutthroat runs you'll soon have most spots figured out.
    Good Fishing,
    Les

4. South Sound

South Sound Member

ALL POINTS ARE GOOD. That is all you need to know about the Canal. Just go to the nearest boat launch and go.

5. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

With the price of gas today you might try some of the big waterfront parks for all day excursions. get out there and hike!

6. ewhitaker75

ewhitaker75 Member

Has anyone had any luck at places like Oak Head, Misery Point, Dabob or down towards Holly or Stavis Bay?

7. D3Smartie

D3Smartie Active Member

in short.... YES.

I like any gravel point with good current on the tide change... close to a creek or freshwater input is good as well.

8. Les Johnson

Les Johnson Les Johnson

Folks have been fishing from the beaches of Washington for cutthroat and resident coho salmon since the 1930s. You can bet that every good spot has been discovered by someone. That said, in my forty years of fishing from the beaches I (and my fishing companions) still find new places to fish every season. There is more than enough information on this thread to get anyone with an iota of adventure in his/her soul started. Just go for it; and remember that unlike the Yakima, Rocky Ford or Lake Lenice, saltwater gamefish are always on the move and they have a mighty big playground. Today's hotspot may not be the right place tomorrow.
    Good Fishing,
    Les