good steelhead guides

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Bluegill kid, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Bluegill kid

Bluegill kid I may be young but I can catch fish

Media:
    Since I never go to any summer camp or do any summer activities I convinced my parents to let me get a steelhead guide for winter steelhead.
    I would like to go on the kalma since it is a beautiful river. or mabye even the lewis which is only 5 minutes from my home. do any of you know or have a reccomondation of a guide that is good and that will get me into some fish?
    I have never fished for steel head so I think that a guide would be a good head start on helping me learn to fish for these great fish:D

2. Jerry Metcalf

Jerry Metcalf FishyJere

3. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Media:
    There are a lot of good steelhead guides. If you have more than one day and are interested in learning to steelhead rather than solely hooking one, I would recommend Mike Kinney. He taught me to spey cast, how to read water, how to move over water, how to set the hook, and how to efficently fish a piece of water. Mike works out of All About the Fly.

4. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    I'll second the Steve Buckner nomination. He is first rate and makes a very mean sloppy joe. BTW if you can get him to open up the smoked sockeye you are in for a real treat.

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    Both Mike and Steve are great guys! I spent a couple days with Mike a few weekends ago and you would have a great time learning with him. I can't recommend him hightly enough. He knows and has probably forgotten more about steelhead fishing than I'll ever know. And he's a great guy!!

Steve is awesome as well, he really helped me w/ my double haul last year at a casting event up in Carnation. He knows those rivers down by you very well and is always posting good reports on the Cowlitz when it's hot down there!

Whom ever you decide on, make sure to let them know you're new at fishing for steelhead on the fly and if you want to use single or double handed rods. I would also let your guide pick the river, since they'll know where the fish are and that will give you the best chance to hook up. Unfortunately you won't be gaureteed on hooking up, but they'll give you a good chance to do so. The stuff you learn about casting, reading the water will be invaluable in shortening you're steelhead learning curve!

I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of where you go!

Bill

6. John Hicks

Media:
    Home Page:
    Bill,

Very true words. Amen brotha

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Had the delight to meet Mr. B just this past Thursday. VERY nice guy .. who obviously knows what he's about.

8. Anil

Anil Active Member

Media:
    Fortunately there are many more good guides than poor ones working today. A personal favorite of mine would be Jim Kerr on the Olympic Peninsula. He’s a great guide and a fun person to spend a day on the river with. Not to take anything away from Steve or Bob, but I thought his name was worth adding to the list.
    Anil

9. weekend warrior

weekend warrior Member

Media:
    Great Steelhead Guide I know of is Jeff Brazda. He guides the summer runs off of the methow and klickitat and the winter runs on the OP. He also spends his time in Montana over the summer with Rooster at 4riversfishingco. Another great guide would be Gordon Gracey at (Ed; Forks WA.) These two guides are both full of knowledge and love what they do.

10. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    I definitely agree with Anil on this one. I went a couple winters ago with Kerr and he will stop at nothing to put you on fish. He is a very knowledgeable guy and is a very good teacher if your just getting into steelhead. I wish i brought a notebook when i went . But yeah i'm sure the other guys are good to but by my personal experience i reccommend Kerr hands down. You might check out his website to. He has guided some pretty well known people to.

11. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

while i have only been guided 2 times, once on the deschutes and once on the ronde, i can't really say. it seems that most seem to be good. i know mike kinney and steve buckner have great rep's. the one thing i will say is you will learn more with a guide in a real fishing scenario than anywhere else.
    be sure to ask lots of questions, pay attention to what they tell and show you and take it all in. it is a great experience.
    have fun

12. John Hicks

Media:
    Home Page:
    Make sure your guide has the same ethics as you. Some guides will use some shady tactics to "put you on fish"

13. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    john - a brand new steelhead is not going to know what you are talking about...........

14. Josh Benjamin

Josh Benjamin Member

an old steelhead won't know what you're talking about either.
    sorry
    couldn't resist
    ethics-c'n'r, don't fish over redds, etc. right?

15. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Sounds like you have your heart set on steelhead. I would recomend if you can to get out with Steve Buchner during the fall on the cowlitz for not only summer runs, but sea run cutthroat also, which are an amazing sport-fish. He will teach you what you need to know later about steelhead.

Peace,
    Andy

16. SpeyrodMike

SpeyrodMike Member

Media:
    If you want to know where the secret steelhead spots are try following Zen to his favorite spots.:p

17. Zen Piscator

Zen Piscator Supporting wild steelhead, gravel to gravel.

Media:
    Home Page:
    Well, I was fishing with Steve about a week ago and did he ever put me on fish, we had an awesome time w/searuns aswell. The man knows his stuff.

Peace,
    Andy

18. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    brazda's got my vote!
    or JD Love!

GET-ER DONE!

Jason

19. Chuck Hill

Chuck Hill New Member

Greetings to all fellow flyfishers!

For my first post here, I would like to recommend Phil Black. I recently spent a fun day with Phil on the Kalama which he has been fishing since he was 8. He got me into my first steelhead on a fly (a 10 pound quadruple leaper!). Phil is a great guide and teacher as well. What I learned from him in 1 day would take me at least 3 years to learn on my own.

Chuck Hill

20. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

John, darned interesting comment. Could you expand your thought?
    tnx
    Fred