Good steelhead reels?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jake Bannon, Dec 24, 2007.

1. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

Let me elaborate a bit. I and one of my friends each had a CSR crap out within the first 15-20 times out. The drag kept binding. They usually reponded to a good cleaning and lube, but the frequency of the binding kept increasing and even with cleaning the start up inertia became ridiculous, the last thing you want when fighting a large fish. Of course, cabelas sent out replacements. They stand behind their stuff. Pretty much anything that is less than 2 years old they will take back with no questions has been my experience. Well, my friend went out with the new CSR and slipped banging the reel on a rock with his outstreached hand. The spool crinkled. Again, they replaced it. We both sold our replacements.

I suspect that the Cabela's prestige plus reels are made by okuma. They have a simular look, design and feel to the okuma integrity/SLV/magnitude reels. I would go with one of these of a pflueger medalist if you can stand the "vintage" looks.

2. Charlie S

Charlie S Confrimed Reprobate

I would give some well intentioned advice. I have used the Albright reels in all sizes on various types to game up to 100+ lb tarpon. They have never failed me and at this time are on sale for a fantastic price. They also have a lifetime guarantee and the owner stands solidly behind his products. You can view his listings for this reel at: http://www.sealevelflyfish.com/reels_AlbrightTackle.html

3. Charlie S

PS: The 7/8 is a killer steelhead, medium salmon, bonefish, permit, striper and small tarpon reel. Fantastic drag. Also, I am not a dealer not do I receive any compensation from Sea Level for promoting this product.

4. Charlie S

Oops...ps #2: I am only talking about the Tempest series of reels.