Good steelhead set up for around 200-250$

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by J Nordwell, Nov 28, 2006.

1. J Nordwell

J Nordwell New Member

I'm looking at getting a fly rod for steelhead and maybe salmon. I was thinking of a 8 wt because of the salmon. I live near the greased line fly shop. They have a few package deals. 2 of them are right around the price range. They are TFO rods with Orvis reels with a extra spool. Floating line and backing. Would it be a good idea to get some sinking line for the extra spool?? Thanks

2. chadk

chadk Be the guide...

Media:
    which TFO rod and which orvis reel? Personally I'd upgrade the rod (probably one step up), and perhaps the line, and save on the reel by going with a $30 medalist. A floating line is good on one, and perhaps get an interchangable tip on the other.

3. Steelie Mike

Steelie Mike Active Member

Media:
    Home Page:
    Greetings neighbor! A TFO Prof 4pc 8wt should be $150.00. It is a great rod and I have personally used a couple over the years. Make sure the reel is not a lemon. Chad's idea of a Medalist is not a bad idea if you get a tip system. That will be more beneficial to you as a starter than any fancy drag system. Mark should be helpful in helping you with what you need.

4. Will Atlas

Will Atlas Guest

Sinktip would be a good idea, probably not a shooting head. Another entry priced 8wt which has served me really well over the years is an ECHO. They're made by rajeef sports and you can find their website at google if you just search for echo fly rods. I'm not sure the pricing but I think its close to 100 bucks, they've got a great warranty, and the consensus is that they're alot of rod for the money.
    Will

5. Mulligan

Mulligan Stephen Mull

Media:
    I've been fishing the TFO Professional 9'6" 8wt with a Medalist and the Rio Versitip since late August or so. The reel and rod faired fine in the fight and the line got me into a fish or two. I second what Chad said, line and rod are important, especially the line. It's real nice to be able to switch things up. You might have to work a bit more with a real like the medalist, but I dig palming. I suggest throwing on a bunch of backing to make the "effective" arbor a bit larger.

6. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Not this again:beathead: Do a search on the subject, there are about 200,000,000,001 threads on the subject.

7. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Nope, 200,000,000,002.;)

That said, one of the best 'combo packages' I've run into are those from Cabela's. The rods are actually excellent, reels not bad, and 'the kit' includes everything but the fly on the end of the leader.

8. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Too bad you weren't looking around last spring. I had a 9'6" St Croix made on a Avid blank in a 8wt. With a Redington Reel loaded with a Rio Vresitip.All for the low price of $200.00. But I couldn't peddle it so now it will just sit here in Montana collecting dust.

Jim

9. Mike Danahy

Mike Danahy @#)$%# river otters!

Media:
    I have an echo 8 wt and love it. Casts wonderfully, and works great in the fight, especially for a hundred bucks.

10. hendersonbaylocal

hendersonbaylocal Member

Media:
    You just missed a great sale at Cabelas online for St. Croix premeire rods - 49 bucks.

I just set one of my buddies up with a TFO pro 8 weight and it is a great rod. I have the 5 weight and am very pleased with it. :beer2:

11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    You're looking at the right line weight. A 9' rod is good, and a 9 1/2' is probably better. If you can get two reel spools and lines, great. If not, get one floater either with a loop at 15' or make it yourself so you can add sinking tips of varying sink rates. You'll be good to go if you have a decent set of waders.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

12. Curtis King

Curtis King Fish Magnet

Media:
    Sink Tip is a definite must. I use a mini-tip because it gets the fly down quick, but also keeps most of the line floating above boulders, etc.

ptyd

13. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

My advice is to get a great rod and a cheapo reel. Put most of your money into the rod because you can always buy a new reel in the future and if you get a nice rod it could last you a lifetime and become a true love. A cheap reel that has the spool edge exposed is all you really need, so you can palm. Don't waste money on a secone spool just get a Rio or Airflo versitip type system. This is another area to throw a little money into as you don't want to work too hard casting all day. The more expensive lines have less friction. But SERIOUSLY, get a NICE rod and go up from there. For 250$ you can buy and awesome TFO or decent SAGE, a cheapo Medalist that will work for the time being and a cheapo line. Maybe even look into buying a fat floating line, chopping the float tip in the right spot so you can loop on a 15 type 3 sinker or the float tip and you got a basic but adequete rig.

14. Flyfishsteel

Flyfishsteel New Member

You can find great deals on Ebay:

...100.00 for a new TFO Pro 9'6" 8wt 4pc
    ...80.00 for a new Redington CD, LIFETIME WARRANTY ...the Medalist does not. IMO, why buy a reel that if it breaks your sol. Get your monies worth and spend the extra for a great warranty and performance with peace of mind.
    ...100.00 for a Rio versi tip.

Good luck!

15. redband

redband New Member

Media:
    Watch sierratradingpost.com for excellent deals on flyrods and reels. It is all about timing as with most discount sites. I recently purchased a good quality powell 7/8 reel from them for around $80 ($250 or so retail). If you want to spend a little more they have some great lamsen reels. Also, look at some of the redington rods that retail for around $250 to $350 (you will pay between $100 to $150) and orvis and sage lines are very cheap (currently). A friend of my fathers (Jim Murphy) started redington and sold it to sage a few years ago. They are not the caliber rod as most sage rods, but a good rod nonetheless. (stay away from the redington reels)

16. Jim Darden

Jim Darden Active Member

Look at the Scientific Angler 4 piece, 8 wt complete outfit. I have 9 different rods in this weight and this is the best. It has big guides so I find it coming up as my favorite for salt water bonefish, dorado, permit and small tarpon. The reel that comes with it is not good enough for salt water but should be fine for steelhead. I'd bump the line size up to 9 wt and get a multi-tip to use for steelhead. There are a lot of these in 2 and 4 piece on Ebay for under $100. If you can score the entire outfit for under $150 I would buy it. I think it was marketed for $150 originally and included line, reel, rod, and case. I have lots of other high end rods but have to admit this one is really a better caster.