Got a major skunk goin on...

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Dipnet, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +376 / 0
    ...anyone else in the same boat?

Fished the last 3 days. Port Orchard/Bremerton area, the canal and today Agate Pass.

About 2 to 3 hours each day with various patterns but not a sniff! Granted, I'm a bit of a noob at fly-flailing but shoot, you'd think there'd be some love somewhere wouldn't you??? :(

Oh well, as Alexander Pope said: "Hope springs eternal!" :)
  2. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +856 / 0
    Ya all the fish were on the other side of the sound those days, but if you try over there next time they'll all be in port orchard :)
  3. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Yeah, I thought that was the case! ;)
  4. Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Olympic Peninsula
    Ratings: +710 / 0
    If all that you want from the experience is results, you will always be disappointed.
    Steve Saville and Nick Clayton like this.
  5. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Hmmm...Philosophy 101? ;)

Don't get me wrong. I always enjoy being on the water whether fish are caught or not.

In fact Wednesday was one of the best days ever. The sun was shining in a bright blue winter sky; Rainier was in all her glory over the top of Blake Island; birds were working the water; seals/sealions were barkin' in the distance; it was an awesome day even without a fish on the line!

I was just wonderin' if other folks have been experiencing the dearth of fish as I have. (OK, maybe I'm grousin' a bit also but hey, that's just me! I can be a cranky old fart!!)
  6. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    My whole SRC winter has been one big skunk...but the upside is, I am learning to cast, learning to look for proper habitat, learning tides and how they vary, and learning about my neighborhood (Puget Sound). I figure I will eventually find fish and when I do I will be super stoked :)...also improving my tying by drowning my sorrows in a bunch of good tying sessions :)

Reading Tim Lockharts book, even tho its stillwater based, alot of the overview lessons are readily applicable to salt.

Let me know if you are ever up for a day out, I can flail with the best of them and perhaps some company would bring out the magic :)
    Cheers!
    Dave
  7. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +351 / 1
    I'd have to say that from a catching standpoint, most days turn into your type experience but then you have to dig deep if you want the gold. The fact that you got out and tried is where it's at.
    Dipnet, Bob Triggs and Mark Mercer like this.
  8. blvdsouldja New Member

Bremerton, Wa
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Skunked today fishing the hood canal. I wouldn't usually mind with the view of the olympics but whoever was next to me was catching a few. I fished clousers, poppers, then other random stuff in my box. No catch.
  9. Jonathan Tachell Active Member

Gig Harbor, Washington
    Ratings: +187 / 0
    Dipnet get a hold of me and we will go get you on some fish.
    Dipnet, daveypetey and yellowlab like this.
  10. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Out of town for the week but just checking in. Before I left I was doing the most catching with the kreelex based patterns I listed in the fly tying section, and VERY small reverse spider and similar chenille wrapped size 6 and 8 hook emerger-ish patterns. Hot pink, orange, and chartreuse seemed to be doing the trick.
  11. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +209 / 0
    I'm there with ya. Two mornings on the salt. The fish were there, just not willing to hit what I was throwing. Nada on Sat., two takes (swirls) today, none to hand. The fish were there quite a few jumpers. Nice couple of days.
  12. wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

Wallingford, WA
    Ratings: +1,614 / 0
    Dipnet has lost or doesn't have Mojo. His cry for help has so far been unanswered. Whatever you do, do not read the demoralizing reports of Formerguide Dan. Word on the street is that Dan has a theme song, a Barry White tune.

Now you know with that playing in the background you're going to be getting some tail.

Well everyone knows Mojo begins with a song playing- constantly- in the back of your head. now I don't know you from Adam but would like to propose (and hope that others add potential theme tunes) the following:

But understand this, everyone has their own Songline, and sometimes it comes to you, sometimes you gotta go walkabout....

In the interests of full disclosure, this is what I got going on...

Dipnet and Gary Knowels like this.
  13. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    This is what I got going, just substitute fish for bitch:

of course it doesn't mean that I catch any fish, especially in the salt.
  14. Tacoma Red Active Member

Kitsap
    Ratings: +337 / 0
    Substitue COHO for Coma.

Dipnet and wadin' boot like this.
  15. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Man, you guys are a hoot!!! :p

And I expect you're all out there in the salt and mining the gold while all this poor pitiful noob gets is the....

:D
    wadin' boot likes this.
  16. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +418 / 0
    Very nice Dipnet, although I've yet to catch anything salty on a fly. Care to meet up on that side of the water and share misery sometime?
  17. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Hey Gary, thanks for the response!

Although I find solitary fishing very therapeutic and peaceful, I do enjoy meeting other folks with a fishy passion!

I think what I find sorta frustrating with my fly-fishing experiences in the salt lately is that I remember how things were back when I first starting fishing SRC.

That was back in the '60s. It was catch-and-keep and I and my teen-aged buddies spent a lot of time all-year-round boat-trolling the beaches of Vashon Island, the Narrows and southern Puget Sound. We found big cutties in lots of different places and every month of the year. We typically trolled "fire-cracker" herring (or sometimes herring strips) on tied 6 lb. mooching leaders and #1 hooks or spoons such as FST's, Freaks, Pearl Wobblers and Canadian Wonders. It was an amazing fishery and I just had so much fun with SRC that I didn't spend too much time on salmon.

As an aside, my working career was in the saltwater sportfishing industry and, since it was my vocation, I didn't fish too much then as recreation 'cuz it was too much "a bus-man's holiday!" Now that I'm retired I'm gettin' back to that fishing fool kid I was so many years ago!! ;)

Sooooo......

I guess I have to stop livin' in the past and realize that the fishery is not what it used to be. But, even given that, I've been having a lot of fun re-introducing myself to fishing in general, SRC fishing a bit more and fly-fishing specifically.

Life is good!!!! :D:p:D
  18. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Well, another day with no sign of fish on the canal.

Fished the Seabeck area again.

When I got there the water was flat but after about an hour I could see weather moving in from the northwest. The obscured sky and dark line on the water way up-canal told me that things were about to change. About half-an-hour later the wind began to whistle through the trees and the waves began to build. Pretty soon I felt as if I was standing in ocean surf. I had to really brace for some of these rollers! And the water action stirred up all the grass and wood so I spent a lot of time cleaning.

But it was fun working on the cast in difficult windy conditions! Man, casting downwind parallel to the beach made me feel like Lefty Kreh!!! ;)

Maybe my mojo is still gone but I had a great day! :D
  19. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +353 / 0
    Sorry about that Dipnet :( but grats on getting out! Conditions were pretty grim when I hit the road this morning, was just gonna hit Point Defiance and try to find some calm water on the leeward side, but the tide was a high low so with the wind and high water... I bailed and took the Lab for a run on the trails at Point D...which was the best choice in retrospect, plus I figured with all the rain, the water would be out of condition.
    I hear you on casting in deteriorating conditions...staying optimistic is the key!
    Grats on a positive outing despite the conditions!
    Dave
  20. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Well, I did and we did! :)

I caught 2 nice cutties with Jonathan today at one of his "select" areas. It was a gorgeous bluebird day and the water was like a sheet of glass!

He also let me fish his higher-end rod/reel for awhile and man, what a difference between that outfit and the inexpensive Cabela's stuff I've been using (but I got my outfit for free and it suffices for now - or at least until I can convince the wife otherwise)!

Thanks Jon for allowing me to tag along with you today and helping me with my technique!! :D

Oh, and BTW this expression of my feelings after today is for wadin' boot:

Tight lines and fishy times to all!! :D