Got new Switch Rod and Reel, now Lines, leaders & Tippett??????????????

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by 1Jeffo, Oct 2, 2012.

1. 1Jeffo Lifetime Fly Fisher and now Spey Wannabe!!

Washington, Mi
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I've purchased the following:

Beulah 10'8" 7 weight Platinum Switch Rod

Irideus ZEN Spey Salmon Fly Fishing Reel Steelhead & Saltwater fly reel 8wt-10wt

Line, leader and Tippett needs:

Looking for the proper line/lines to do fundamental Switch, Traditional Spey, Scandinavian (Scandi) and Skagit (Pacific Northwest) styles of fly casting.

Trying to understand the complete setup of line, leader and Tippett for each style. I'm trying to get into this Switch Rod fishing, but the line confusion is extensive to say the least.

I've been a traditional fly caster for over 30 years, this is the next logical step, and I am excited to make it, just very confused.

Please any help with sites containing drawings of lines, proper build up and understanding of the different sections.

Thanks
  2. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    For a floater: backing>running line>head>polyleader>tippet

You can also substitute a normal tapered leader for the polyleader and tippet.

For a sinker: backing>running line>head>sinktip>leader (short, 3-5 feet)

The complicated stuff comes into when you're choosing a head, whether it be for a floater or tips. A lot of this depends on how you like to fish and what you're fishing for. On my switch rods I really like the Airflo rage for a floating line (skating dries, I would use something like an Airflo Delta for nymphing), and the Airflo Switch Compact with 10-12' sink tips for swinging.

Rio also makes good lines, to find out what grain weights work with your rod google either "rio spey line recommendations" or "airflo spey line recommendations". Both companies have lists with a ton of different rods and the recommended grain weights for their different types of lines.
    Wadecalvin likes this.
  3. 1Jeffo Lifetime Fly Fisher and now Spey Wannabe!!

Washington, Mi
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Thanks Conrad, that reduced my stress level, I've got a lot better understanding now.
    I still have many questions:
    such as which size "Running Line" will match this rod?
    which size "Running Line" will match my G Loomis 11'6" 8/9wt?
  4. bconrad Member

S Rivers
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    There's a million different types of running line out there, you can buy the real expensive stuff or pay $8 for 1000 yds of 40 lb mono...if you're just starting out I'd recommend picking up a traditional style running line that's pre-looped in the 30 lb range (Airflo Ridge, Rio Coldwater, etc, etc). I like to go at least 30 lbs for all my running line because I don't want to lose a head, some guys use 20lb. but I run pretty heavy mono on tips so I go higher.

You can get 1 running line with a loop on it, floating and sinking heads, and tips, and be able to fish floaters or sinktips all off one reel.

I would use the same running line on the switch and the spey but as stated above, it's up to personal preference.
  5. estuaryboy Member

North East
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    If you talk to other owners of Beulah rods they will advise the Elixir and Tonic Beulah specified on their website are always a good starting point, Beulah calls your model a short Spey.
    Scandinavian: Beulah Elixir Switch 375
    Skagit: Beulah Tonic Switch 400-425
    If you have never used a mono running line you should think about bconrad's suggestion and go with the one of the 30lb styles, later on get a spool of 40lb Berkley Big game if you want to try mono just remember it should be soaked overnight and then stretched before use for best performance. For overhead the Airflo 40+ is hard to beat.
    Wadecalvin likes this.
  6. cmann886 Active Member

Richland Wa
    Ratings: +53 / 0
    I wish that I would have started with a Steve Godshall skandit line and went from there. Instead I started with an Airflo skagit switch---which I really like, but then I purchased additional lines and get frustrated when I switch back and forth. Also, being new to this game I find it much easier to cast a line on the heavier side. I am still learning the ropes but have concluded a guide I went with a couple of years ago had it right---"Swing for show, nymph for the dough!"