Got Rezzies?

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Don Freeman, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

On this Saltwater forum, Ben Guss started a thread called "First resident coho...."
    In it a couple of the members stated and agreed "I hope we can successfully lobby for more late release net pen silvers".

I am on the Puget sound Recreational fund Advisory Fund advisory board, and have been designated "the rezzie guy" since I voiced an interest in the program, as it has declined in recent years. We can shift emphasis from blackmouth to resident coho, but I have to document support in the form of angler days and license sales.

It is less effective and appropriate for me to organize this effort as my own pet interest than to communicate the wishes of the public. Somebody has to step up and honcho this campaign. So far I haven't heard from any volunteers. It takes more than just agreeing with other members on this forum to have an effect, but it's not that hard or labor intensive.

These are the steps:

Write a statement to the effect that

"We are Puget Sound anglers who regularly beach and boat fish for resident coho. We pledge to actively pursue this resource, and will not only purchase licenses and tackle for the activity, but will also encourage others to participate. In recent years, the numbers of resident coho have declined, therefor we encourage WDFW to allocate more Puget Sound Recreation Enhancement fund resources to residualize late release coho salmon."

Or words to that effect.

Post a thread here on WFF and any other site you find appropriate requesting anglers sign on, and then collate the signatures.
    Print copies and take them to your sporting goods stores, fishing clubs, boat stores, etc. Many of the local shops are eager to lend their support and collect signatures, just as when we were printing and distributing the Sea Run Cutthroat signs.

Mail to:
    South Sound Fly Fishers
    Resident Coho Project
    PO Box 2792
    Olympia, WA 98507

I will present this input to the advisory board, who will vote how to shift resources to this project. We have a meeting this afternoon, and I will report that there seems to be some interest, and hope to provide proof promptly.

The ball is in your court.

2. MDL

MDL We work to become, not to acquire.

Don,
    I agree that there needs to be an effort to get this into action but I am on the fence. I do love chasing the resident coho and especially in the winter when other fisheries are slow or closed. I guess I am a hypocrite...While I strongly support the need to lessen, remove, hatcheries for wild, native, fish to recover and not have the hatchery fish compete with the wilds' for spawning space or mixed breeding. I love to have this fishery and I realize this is my problem . Are there any reports or studies done on where the resident, delayed release fish go and do they enter the rivers to spawn at the same time as wild salmon? Can we really have our cake and eat it too?
    Thanks,
    Mike

3. DimeBrite

DimeBrite MA-9 Beach Stalker

Media:
    Don,

Thank you for outlining the process. Since it was my post you referenced, I'll take a stab at writing up a general statement supporting the continuation of the late release hatchery resident silver program this evening.

MDL,

Removing this hatchery silver program will not restore wild P.S. silver populations. Try repairing local rivers, creeks, estuaries, beachfront, water quality, and restoring baitfish habitat.

4. kelvin

kelvin Active Member

Media:
    I would be happy to help ya Dime

5. TomB

TomB Active Member

I am against the expansion of this program because of its deleterious impacts on wild populations. Net pen reared hatchery fish compete for food resources with wild fish, are vectors for disease propagation and transmission, and stray and spawn in wild spawning areas causing further competition, disease, and maladaptive interbreeding with wild populations. the programs should, if anything, be reduced.

6. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

In theory Tom, I agree with everything you say about hatchery competition with wild runs. In south Puget Sound though, just what populations would you be protecting? The horse has been out of that barn for decades.

7. DimeBrite

Media:
    Okay, here is draft #1 of the resident coho enhancement petition using Don's outline. Please suggest your edits to help polish this up. I'd appreciate your help Kelvin:thumb:.

For those who are interested in collecting and mailing signatures just claim a fly shop, outdoor store, fishing or boating club within this thread. I'll drop some off at Avid Angler when the petition is ready.

To keep this thread clean please bash hatchery salmon programs elsewhere, we've all heard it before. Thanks.

8. CurtisS

CurtisS Member

While I don't YET fish Puget Sound Salt, nor do I usually support anything to do with hatcheries, It's really, really encouraging to see someone who has a say in something stepping up on this forum to get something done, wish more people would do this. Two thumbs up.

9. Swoff

Swoff Member

I think it looks good, thanks for taking the lead on this Dime! I will gladly sign it when it's out.

10. Bob Triggs

Bob Triggs Your Preferred Olympic Peninsula Fly Fishing Guide

Media:
    Home Page:
    When will we stop sucking on the hatchery tit and make a real commitment. To wild fish here?
    If there are any dollars left to spend let them be spent on wild fish restoration!:rofl:

11. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Here's the deal, Bob. Wild fish restoration is a superior goal than hatchery tit. But the money being spent here is raised by license sales for the express purpose of providing immediate angling opportunities. The laws say what they say, not what we think would be a better idea. PSREF money has to be spent to produce fish until the RCW is changed. It was amended this year to increase accountability, and to avoid harm to wild runs.

I work to achieve wild fish and habitat restoration also, but under processes and organizations created for that purpose.

The real key here is to maintain public support and interest. If there is NO angling opportunity in the sound whatsoever, the angler base will disappear, and take up Frisbee golf. Maintaining interest is crucial, and we can educate and motivate anglers toward sustainable goals more readily than to create advocates from the general population. My friend Gwill gave me a great example yesterday from northern California. Following the giant salmon kills in the Klamath region, all angling opportunity was shut down. Advocates lost interest in the cause, so now the irrigators and hydro power mongers have free rein to use the river like a football.

So like it or not, hatchery tit for the present is better than no tit at all. Go a few years without seeing one, and you can forget what tits are all about. Trust me, I've been married to the same woman for 30 years.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Good job Dime, I like the text just the way it is myself. If no one has any objection or changes to suggest, I will print a couple of copies myself. One I'll take to South Sound Fly Fishers meeting tonight, and the other will go to Anil for Puget Sound Fly Co. We can also get one to Bjorn at the Fly Fisher, Cabelas and Sportsmans' Warehouse here in Capitol City.

It's really encouraging to see this quick and positive response. The next formal meeting of the advisory board is set for the first week in August. I will need the petitions by then. The board then discusses and forwards recommendations directly to the WDFW commission.

And yes, please debate hatcheries elsewhere, it's a worthwhile issue, but not what this effort is about. Thanks.

13. MDL

Don,
    Thanks for the PM and I can drop one off at Gig harbor Fly Shop if needed.

14. DimeBrite

Media:
    Okay, time to print & distribute the petitions. I suggest we refer to this volunteer angler movement as "Operation Hatchery Teet". I'll drop mine off at Avid Angler and Ted's.

Thanks to all who participate!

15. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

I say we need to expand the hatchery and pen raised programs. Without them we will not have any fish to catch at all and fishing will be closed. Bankon it.

16. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

A couple questions for your south Sound regulars.

How often do you find these resident coho using the same beaches and using the same food items as the sea-runs?

Do we really want an increase in a hatchery program that produces fish potentially competing with our wild cutthroat resources?

I see the hatchery coho as a larger threat/competitor to the cutthroat than hatchery Chinook.

Tight lines
    Curt

17. miyawaki

miyawaki Active Member

I definitely agree with you Curt

Leland.

18. MDL

And this is where the problem comes in. The effects of a hatchery fish that competes and eats searuns that Les, Bruce and others have helped bring thier numbers back for us to enjoy as a C&R fishery. The irony of our choices and wants... What were the searun numbers of yester year when the resident silver population was abundant?

19. DimeBrite

Media:

Calm down folks resident silvers are not snakeheads. Cutthroat populations have bounced back in recent years due to the saltwater catch-and-release policy pure and simple. Rezzies are not eating up the cutthroat nor are they consuming all their food stocks. There was once a healthy wild resident silver population in Puget Sounds that lived in perfect harmony with cutthroat.

20. Smalma

Smalma Active Member

Dimebrite -
    I'm well aware of the historic wild resident coho populations. My point is that there are no free lunches and those hatchery coho likely have adverse impacts on wild cutthroat and other wild salmonids. the question is would there be more cutthroat without those hatchery coho? - no knows for sure but pretty sure but many would prefer to err on the side of the wild cutthroat.

I'm all for managing for wild resident coho. Every year there is some discussion of wild coho release in south Sound at NOF and every year that is where it ends. I would much rather spend my time and effort on promoting wild fish and management for those fish than in generating more hatchery fish.

At any rate as often is the case these issues are complex and I suspect I raised something for folks to think about. Our individual response on such issues will be colored more by of fishing desires than what is best for the resource.

Tight lines
    Curt