Got the call last night.....

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Blktailhunter, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

From a friend on the west side of the island that the silvers have arrived off his beach. Arrived at his beach at 630 this morning and was done by 645. Small fish, 3 1/3 lbs or so but it should great fishing for the next month or so and the will get bigger.

2. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    Nothing wrong with 3-1/2 to 4 lbers. You can get 6 nice fillet pieces out of one... :)

3. Blktailhunter

Blktailhunter Active Member

Different day different results. Fished hard this morning for nothing. I had packed up my stuff and was about to leave when I saw a small smattering of bait come to the surface and a fish bust through them. It was just about the bottom of the tide and I never fish when the tide gets out this far. So I waded out as far as I could a three casts later I hook up and after after 5 seconds it was gone. Bummer. 5 minutes go by and another hook up. This time I land a 5 lbs clipped Coho hen. Gorgeous fish. not at all like the two I got yesterday that were already shedding their scales. Five minutes later I hook up again. This one took off like a freight train. Big Fish. Took me way into my backing and thought I was going to get spooled. Then I see a seal a couple of hundred yards away take a look at me and then go under the water. Crap. I crank down the drag and really put the wood to the fish. I get it about half way in when suddenly it takes off again at a high rate of speed. Crap. The seal must have got it. Tighten the drag all the way down and finally started to make some headway. About 30 yards from shore I finally get a look at it as it swam parallel to the shore on the surface. Then I see the big spots on its back. King!!! A few minutes later I get it to the beach, the seal no where in sight Beautiful hatchery hen about 15 lbs. My first king from the beach in the most unlikely of places and the most unlikely time. My knees were shaking as I unhooked her and revived her and sent her on her way. A couple of days earlier and she would have been headed to my dinner table. Didn't matter. I was stoked. That was a fish I won't soon forget. I was spent after that fish and called it a day. Great morning.

4. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

Media:
    Great story! Definitely jealous.

5. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    That is awesome!! How fun is that? :cool:

6. Bagman

Bagman Active Member

Seems like quite few Kings are being landed by the fly fisherman this year. I've seen 4 landed myself, not by me I'm sad to say. Glad to hear someone is doing good.

7. golfman44

golfman44 Active Member

Media:
    Awesome man, thats great!

Mind sharing what kind of fly you were throwing?

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

Media:
    That's sweet. If you were south of the bridge I saw you as I was driving home after being skunked at PNP. Based on the time, it was probably not too long before you hooked up. I'll just assume some of my King mojo wafted off the bridge and annointed your shoulders.

9. Tony James

Tony James Member

Wow - what a great time of the year. Just pulled of the river, no fish, but who cares - it was an awesome evening and fish where jumping everywhere. Thanks for sharing!!

10. doublebluff

doublebluff Go Beavs

Extraordinary day. I love the idea of always scanning the surface, even as you are getting ready to go. Careful observation often pays off. Very well done.

11. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Media:
    Interesting that someone so in favor of sharing specific places on the internet would be fishing a private beach.

Glad you are having success. Fly caught kings are just awesome, plain and simple. Very, very cool!

12. mtskibum16

mtskibum16 Active Member

Media:
    Great story! Congrats on the king!!