"Grain" scale?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by Dave Hartman, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Norseman1

Norseman1 Spey Fishing the Mighty Columbia......

I second Poppys scale. I bought one last fall and I use it all the time. It will tare itself with whatever you want to use for holding a line or containing something you are trying to weigh. I measures in Grains/ Grams/ Ounces, and will do a count for you too. I used if for counting things like hooks...you just weigh one hook then calibrate it to 100 or 50 or whatever number you want....start dropping them in and it will let you know when you reach the target number.

I also use it for weighing my shot patterns for centrepin fishing too....I know I know this is a fly site, but I still pin the winter months here, and I am just trying to show how many functions the scale has.

I wouldn't be without it now.

Cheers

2. Philster

Philster Active Member

Media:
    well, there's also the guesstimate approach. for building tips and lines from normal fly lines just estimate from the aftma scale and come up with a grains per foot. I'll never forget that an 11 wt is 330 (11 grains per foot for 30 feet) and descending from there it goes down 50, 40, and finally 30 grains for 10, 9, and 8wts, and I have no reason to build a line using anything lighter than that. 12 wt is 50 more than 11.

Now if you really need to measure a spey line out of the box you need a scale, but you should know the weight of the line out of the box. For taking sections out, just mic it, and compare to other lines you know the weight per foot of, and once again guess.

Just remember that the line weights aren't precise. The acceptable range on a 30 foot line is something like 5% in either direction. I don't know what it is for a spey line, but you get my point. No need to sweat the details since when you open the box your 30 foot eight weight could be any where from 200 to 220 grains, and that's if it's within acceptable limits. You really think they're all within acceptable limits;)

So sure, if you've got $20 with nothing better to do hanging around, get a scale. Other than start you down a very expensive road of line tweaking, it won't do any harm:beer2:

3. Bert Kinghorn

Bert Kinghorn Formerly "nextcast"

Media:
    Given the expense of the line hacking habit, $20 or even $100 for a decent scale is a pittance and less than the cost of many 2-hander lines.

A VERY expensive road it is!