Grand Ronde Info

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Only On A Fly, Sep 19, 2012.

1. Only On A Fly Active Member

Florida
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Going to fish the Grand Ronde end of Oct. & would like to know what pattern's to tie ? Thank's in advance.
  2. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,679 / 0
    Spade, size 6, 8, and maybe 10.

Green butt Skunk, size 6, 8, for variety's sake; it's not like the fish care.

Sg
  3. Idaho steel Active Member

Clearwater
    Ratings: +49 / 0
    I think size is more important than patten, especially that time of year when water temps can vary dramatically. I carry a variety of sizes, 1.5 through 6.

I'm racking my brain trying to recall a patten that hasn't worked on the Ronde at some point. That said: green butt skunk, max canyon, silver hilton, burlap, boss (black and red,) rusty rat, dark daze (Mike Kinney pattern,) coal car, signal light, they all work... If I were to limit myself to two or three pattens that time of year, it'd probably be something along the lines of the max canyon, and the green butt skunk, with perhaps a silver hilton for back up.
  4. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,775 / 0
    Sliver Hilton, Black Diamond, Greased Liner, anything buggy looking in mostly natural colors. Salmo stated the correct sizes.
  5. Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Quesnel, BC
    Ratings: +322 / 0
    swinging;
    I would tie one or two purple and (any color)
    one or two black, or black and white
    one or two large caddis patterns in a butterscotch color
    tie up a couple skates in any color

Nymphing;
    anything buggy
  6. Steelie Mike Active Member

Camas, WA
    Ratings: +24 / 0
    Fall Favorite of any variety, anything with peacock and drab like a steelhead coachman and just any muddler. And everything else mentioned.
  7. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +160 / 0
    Pattern - 5%
    Presentation - 95%

Small and black, swing it like you mean it.
  8. Cougar97 Member

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    All,

I am by no means an expert, I have fished this river for over 30 years. I used to believe color and size was all important. My experience has been fish a fly you have confidence in and stick with it. Look for the water which you believe a Steelhead would like and fish it well. As far as I am concerned the speed which a fly swings across the water is far more important than size and color. In 2009 which was an incredible year in terms of number of fish I worked the lower river from Shadow, Turkey, the Elbow and the Rock Garden multiple times and caught fish in each run and never used the same fly. That was an unbelievable year, nevertheless what it taught me was if the fly is presented correctly a "player" will grab the fly.

Tight Lines,

Cougar97
  9. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    G, i was the young guy you gave the pep talk to below elbow (lone tree) . That little bead head fly you gave me is still sitting on my tying bench now. I had to get out of my winter run tactics and think summer run (small sparse flies). To the original poster, go small even 10s & 12s and find rested water and you will find fish. Swing, swing, swing and it will pay off. Good luck I'll be there in October with the rest of the world swinging away.
  10. g_smolt Recreational User

58°19'59 N, 134°29'49 W
    Ratings: +160 / 0
    Tyler-
    Excellent. This year, fish it like you mean it. Go through each and every run like a guy with a mask and a gun, regardless of who is in front of you...unless it is me or Mike.
    constructeur and Tyler Sadowski like this.
  11. Only On A Fly Active Member

Florida
    Ratings: +26 / 0
    Thank's for all the reply's.
  12. Flyborg Active Member

Kalama, WA
    Ratings: +602 / 0
    This year I'm only using royal coachmen and bombers.
  13. FT Active Member

Burlington, WA
    Ratings: +102 / 0
    Cougar,

You're right about fly patterns or color for steelhead whether in the Ronde or for that matter any other steelhead river. However, trying to convince folks with less experience this truth is futile in my experience. Size and more importantly presentation do the trick, not some majic pattern or color combination 98%-99% of the time.
  14. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +165 / 0
    Crystal meth work well there
  15. Cougar97 Member

Spokane Washington
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    FT,

You are wise beyond your years....... It takes time for many to understand what you and I already know...... I will be down on the Ronde about 20 days this fall. Regardless of the number of fish over the last dam (Lower Granite) I am confident I will catch fish and if I want each could be on a different fly........

Tight LInes
    Cougar97
  16. Wayne Kohan fish-ician

TriCities, WA
    Ratings: +99 / 0
    I seem to catch 90% of my fish on the fly I fish 90% of the time. We all have our favorites and as stated above, your presentation is better with the fly you have confidence in. Sometimes it is stupid good and sometimes more work. In 2009 my group of four touched over 130 fish in 2 1/2 days of fishing, then nothing the last half of a day.

Wayne
  17. Tyler Sadowski Member

Kirkland, wa
    Ratings: +23 / 0
    09 was amazing but i doubt that will happen for a long time or
    if ever again. It seems after 09 the river became even busier during October. People are still fishing for 09 fish.
  18. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +665 / 0
    This fly works.

[IMG]
  19. kelvin Active Member

Seattle,WA
    Ratings: +292 / 0
    a big black wooly bugger
    lady caroline
    anything caddisy looking
    a big GP there's alot of crawfish there

something on the surface if it's still warm
  20. gearhead Active Member

Renton, wa
    Ratings: +45 / 0
    if ya dont like smoke, stay away from the Ronde for a while, its pretty bad in that whole area. just fyi.