Grande Ronde (Drift boat, pontoon or wade?)

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Angler 77, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 77,

Seriousely consider the Deschites or the John Day. Mid-October could be too early on the GR.

I don't know where you live, I live in North Bend and can be on the Deschutes or John Day in 4 hours, the drive back is 3 hours.

The GR is a huge drive and you should wait until November.

my .02

2. Ssickle1,

I've been considering the Deschutes also. I'm not specific about fishing the Grande Ronde, I just want to have a cool experience over the few days of vacation I have left this year. The Deschutes down lower is a pretty good sized river and I'm afraid my little pea-brain would melt. I haven't checked the reg's. yet but the uppper Deschutes around Sun River sounds like it might be a good time.

The drive to the Grande Ronde is a concern. I'm thinking about scaling down what I take and if the weather is decent riding my motorcycle down to the Deschutes. Why do you suggest the Deschutes and the John Day? Steelhead aren't exactly the goal, an experience worth vacation days is.

Thanks

Scott

3. I think there are plenty of fish in the GR in Oct, even late Sept can be fruitful with the right water flow and temp. When you get to Nov I would think you would need to watch the weather conditions for the grade right?
    The afternoon/early evening dry fly fishing is the real reason to go and water temps sliding in late Oct put a damper on that
    Just make the drive to the Bulkley and then the GR will look like a nice hop down to the river. I bought Sirius radio several years ago and it has made the drive time fly

cheers, Travis