Grande Ronde Trip Prep

Discussion in 'Watercraft' started by Ed Call, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Thanks gents. I'll prep my other marine 5 day cooler for BLUE and Rob's clan.

2. DKL, Here are some photos of the two boats. I have laid down the front U shaped lean bar to allow the scadden to slide on atop my cataraft. Please note that this 14'9" Scadden is made to accomotate three frame pods: Front passenger, rower and rear passenger then cargo platform on the back. For this trip, since only one person, my friend Jim Henderson, will be in that boat, we set it up a bit different. Large cargo netting area to the rear of the cargo platform, rower about mid craft, and the single passenger pod in front has a box mounted where there normall would be a seat. The front standing platform will hold our full kitchen kit in a large pelican box.

Attached Files:

3. Have a great trip guys!

4. Nice Ed. I already got a couple of ideas I can start doing with mine immediately from your photos. I love the versatility of those boats. Have a great trip.

Thanks,
    DKL

5. Got back yesterday, and Ed's gonna have a stellar report if he uses purple foam hoppers, crawdad patterns, and fishes the right water. Stopped counting the 15" trout, the huge squawfish taking dries, and my buddy landed & released his first wild steelhead on the fly. Camping and weather were great. 65 miles in 3 days. DSC_0034.JPG

6. So, Ed... I assume you've already given Jill the cat 0`nine tails since she's sitting behind you...? Have a great trip, and pack the sunscreen!

7. Were heading to Minam tomorrow for putin on Sunday.

8. Minam to Troy 3 days 2 nights. Kids did a little fishing. I did a lot of rowing. First time rowing with the intent to hit all rocks with cushions and every splashy bit on the river. We went 16/18/12 and on the 2/3 days I had all three little girls in the splash and giggle cataraft. Loads of fun. Got stuck once for a while. Got high centered on the rear deck dropping over a very large boulder. We were at an odd angle for a bit, then I got us straight. We got to sit there for a few minutes until I realized I could just step through the Fred Flintstone hole and lift us off the rock. A few lifts and we scooted straight off. Just like all other splashy sections we had hands up, goggles and little bosses saying "let's do that one again". I think I got it on video...we shall see. Photos when we all get home and settled and when we get Jason's boat put back together right.

9. Nice! river kids are great. heading out in about 15 minutes for a 5 day trip on the GR with the neices, loading some new music on the ipod for the drive now.

Cheers,
    Shap

10. Derek- What firepan is that?

11. Alright Ed...where's the report?

Leaving for the Rogue tomorrow, and was hoping to catch it before I left. :)

12. Waiting for photos from all on the adventure. It was a hell of a good time.

13. Constructeur; agree, it's a great firepan! Derek fired it up when we floated the Yak in February. It's also amazing what he can pack in that raft of his!!

14. That was the majority of what I wanted to hear. Mostly just to make sure your families got out of it...what you had hoped they would.

15. Those storms were dangerous this year.

[​IMG]

But the hail slows down the rattlers :)

[​IMG]

OK, that isn't a Grande Ronde rattler, that one was on Joseph Creek.