Grass Carp Flies?

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Stonefish, May 18, 2009.

1. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    :beathead: As suggested earlier in the post, fishing for "Grass Carp" (Ctenopharyngodon idella) is a violation of fishing regulations unless there is a special opening. You can, however fish for the "Common Carp" (Cyprinius carpio) in this state. They are widespresd. There is a very good book entitled Carp on the Fly by Barry Reynolds, et al. You might want to order it from Amazon if you're serious about fishing for carp. It has a section on flies in it. Seems to me it was about $15.00 and read the regulations. It might save some money and embarassment.
  2. pfournier Do it outside!

tacoma, wa
    Ratings: +1 / 0
    Steve, how the heck are you? I think this pertains to a private pond and not public waters. Is it still against regulation?
  3. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    Hey Steve,
    Don't hurt your head beating it on the wall. Save yourself the embarrassment and money it will take to fix it.
    Again as I had posted earlier in the thread....private pond, private property with no public access, private stocking for weed control.

Thanks to all who gave me ideas.
  4. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    Funny shit!!
  5. Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Fall City, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Grass Carp are expensive. A WA Department of Ecology permit/visit is required before even being able to purchase them. Most sales go to private pond owners, large businesses complexes, and golf courses. All with NO possible outlets to any other bodies of water.

There are some really big ones in Semiahmoo Golf Course's ponds and the Bellingham Golf and Country Club's ponds.
  6. Steve Saville Active Member

Tacoma, WA
    Ratings: +312 / 1
    My apologies.
  7. Trevor Thorp Happy to be home in the NW

Fall City, Washington
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Brian,

Careful, if you hook into one you may not be able say your a triploid hater any more.
  8. Stonefish Triploid and Humpy Hater

Pipers Creek
    Ratings: +1,260 / 1
    I'd much rather catch a carp then a finless genetic zombie triploid.... :)
  9. Jamie Wilson Active Member

Arlington WA
    Ratings: +91 / 0
    I hear you- some of the big trips in Rufus Woods look like their fins are worn off. They're just gone.
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    I was watching a fishing show where they were fishing for grass carp in florida with flies that looked like mullberries
  11. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +643 / 0