Great cold Day

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Bob Rankin, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ratings: +167 / 1
    I woke up at 2:00 tuesday morning becouse im a spaz. I left my house in Yakima at 4:00 to go fish a lake ive never been to. I pull into the parking lot at 5:15 and have to sit there till it get's light enugh to put my pram in the water. This is the first time I have brought my Koffler pram out this year. Chironimids were on the menu this morning. Ive never done well fishing chiro's, that being said i fished six hours and landed 47 fish with about a dozen or more that i lost right next to the boat. Im not trying to brag becouse i usually suck at fishing this way. I cought 5 that were close to 3lbs and the rest were stockers. It was the best day of stillwater fishing I have ever had. there was a steady wind of about 15 to 20 knots,and cold. I would tell you were this lake was but then im sure some of you allready know. Im allso worried that the Basin trout mafia might comne after me.:) Bob....
  2. Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

N. Edmonds / Mukilteo, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 0
    Hi Bob,

It's easy to tell you are excited, and not bragging. With hook-ups less than every 5 minutes on average in those conditions, who wouldn't be. Sweet!

Sounds like one of those "perfect fishing days" they have been plugging on a local weekly fishing cable/radio show. I guess you can't use the line: "I've never done well on chiro's" anymore!:)
  3. Jeff Dodd Active Member

Langley, WA
    Ratings: +349 / 0
    Rankin
    Nice day in the Pram! Thanks for the report...

What flies proved to be the winning combination? Were you fishing them deep on the bottom, or up in the water column?

You had it dialed in for sure
  4. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Gregg,Jeff thanks
    I was fishing 8ft of water fish at 7ft. then 4ft of water fish at 3ft.It didn't matter what kind of chiro I was even using bombers. White bead heads. 25lbs and 15lbs anchors to hold in the wind, my pram is kind of heavy! cant wait to go back. Ya i guess I could say I had there number on tuesday.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  5. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Ratings: +960 / 1
    We're going to make you an offer you can't refuse!
    rankin76 and Islander like this.
  6. yellowlab Active Member

In a van... down by the river, WA
    Ratings: +89 / 8
    Glad to hear that you didn't sell the Koffler and good report. Chironomids are really the only way IMHO to fish stillwater, but everyone has their personal preferences. I just like to catch fish and lots of fish, so I fish Chirons ;)
    rankin76 likes this.
  7. Islander Steve

Langley, Wa..
    Ratings: +180 / 6
    Excellent!! Great report. Nothing like some wind chop to get those fish aggressive.
  8. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Whatever it is Bill ill take it. Let me in the mafia,ill come up with some gang signs! Yellowlab good to here you. I tried to sell the pram on here but nobdy wanted it so im keeping it. I just got a new used 9'9 sage 4wt that i think is my new lucky rod. And chironimid fishing is my new sport.
    Jeff Dodd likes this.
  9. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,561 / 0
    This report is useless without photos and the exact location of the lake :D
  10. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    It's no special lake. Just an ordinary one chock full of willing trout. Bob, I thought you were the capo.
    rankin76 likes this.
  11. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Capo sounds good Bill Ill take it. And Gat as far as photos go I had a camera and thermos of coffee,two cold beers and A lunch.the fishing was so good I left with not one photo and I was hungry and thirsty!
    Mark Kraniger and Irafly like this.
  12. bob brown New Member

ellensburg
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    Hey bob I know that muddy lake and the new old rod.
    rankin76 likes this.
  13. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Yes you do Bob!!! Thanks again.
  14. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,033 / 1
    Got to love the vertical presentation! Chiros I think work best because of how they are presented. Did you do any throat samples? If so did you find chironomids? I found a varying degree of bugs in my throat samples from this weekend, but only once did I find anymore than 10 or so mids, mostly immature damsels, some calibaetis nymphs, bloodworms (a bunch of small green ones) and one 3 inch leach.

Way to embrace the indicator and don't worry about zen he'll take a well tied fly before a new gang sign as payment into the club.
    rankin76 likes this.
  15. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Ira
    I did not take any throat samples. But I will on friday and let you know. I've got to go again and see if that was just a fluke. My best chiro was red with a red wire rib and white bead, it was big size 10 2 or 3x long. And I hope Zen will take a few fly's instead, my gang sign's are a little rusty!
    Irafly likes this.
  16. troutpocket Active Member

Ellensburg, WA
    Ratings: +326 / 0
    Great report! I remember the first few times I got a bobber bite dialed in on my own . . .good times.
    Irafly and rankin76 like this.
  17. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Tomorrow forecasts to be 50 degrees, sunny and a very light wind. The Basin Trout Mafia will be out in force with two members.
    rankin76 likes this.
  18. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    Im all ready to go,Cant wait!:)
  19. zen leecher aka bill w born to work, forced to fish

Moses Lake, WA
    Looks like we'll have Basin Trout Mafia enforcer Bob "the yanker" Rankin and Zen "the Leech" Leecher....unless there's better nicknames.
    rankin76 likes this.
  20. Bob Rankin Active Member

Yakima, WA
    The Yanker and the Leech. watch out!!!!!!