Great Day on the Yakima With Reds

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by cmann886, Mar 18, 2014.

1. cmann886

cmann886 Active Member

http://www.redsflyshop.com/blog/ today's post (March 18) pretty much describes what we did and the March 15th is a good summary of the success that we had today. A couple of firsts for me:

1. A nice steelhead on a 4 wt. rod (drifting a fat Pat's stone under a yarn indicator) a great surprise.

2. An 18" white fish. Reminded me why I liked catching them on the South Fork of the Snake river as a kid. They don't jump like the bows but they put a nice bend in the rod.

My partner, Tom, had even better numbers than I including a very nice and very fat West Side Cutthroat on the last drift of the day. Joe R. worked very hard for us and we had a great time. All fish were quickly released without photos. Our smallest fish were the same size as the largest that we typically caught only a few years ago.

Today's blog on fishing the soft water may not stress this point quite hard enough. Even when I thought I was fishing soft water, it frequently was not soft enough and slight adjustments 6-12" made huge differences. His advice on exact mending is spot on. Practice hitting quarter to half dollar sized targets at 20-30 feet with the occasional puff of wind doesn't hurt any either.

plaegreid, jwg and Luke77 like this.