Great estuary fishing

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Roger Stephens, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

Today my fishing buddy and I fished the outgoing tide at a Puget Sound estuary and had a wonderful day. In 2 1/2 hours we landed 18-20 SRC and a 5lb. adult silver. The SRC ranged from 12-19". The fly of choice was a olive/white clouser minnow. A few SRC were caught on a chartreuse/white clouser minnow. Occasionally, some large fish were chasing bait fish on the surface but I could only get a couple of follows when skating a bait fish pattern. The conditions were good with a nice tidal current, overcast sky, and best of all light wind which made for enjoyable casting.
    -+---

2. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Media:
    What'd you catch the silver on?

3. Maurice "Mo" Miller

Maurice "Mo" Miller Twanged Tackleberry

Howdy,
    What size was the clouser and how far before the low did you guys start hooking up?

I've been doing OK about 3 hours or so before the low. I'm wondering if that is beach a specific or if others scattered around the sound are having similar results.

Thanks!

Mo

4. Roger Stephens

Roger Stephens Active Member

The silver was caught on a olive/white clouser minnow(2 1/2") on a #6 long shank(4XL) hook. We started fishing this estuary half way through the outgoing and quit when the tide current started to fade. We got waylaid looking for a rumored large school of silver otherwise we would have been to this estuary earlier. This particular estuary fishes well from the high tide all the way through to the low tides even very low ones. About half the estuaries that we fish get too shallow the last 1/3 of outgoing tides particularly on very low ones. But to answer your question about when to fish various estuaries, it depends some much on the water depth and tide current and this can best be gained by experience fishing your home estuaries. A fishing journal is invalueable to help establish how and when to fish your nearly estuaries. But like you said fishing half way through the tide exchange is hard to beat at most estuaries.

5. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    tides

Yo,

Driving up highway 3 from Shelton to Bremerton last Saturday morning, I was able to view a few really interesting looking spots en route. The tide was out quite a ways and I could see the creek channels and spits and bottom contours, etc.
    Driving home in the afternoon, the tide was in and the creek mouths were all covered up and the tidal sections of the lower creeks I drove over looked pretty stagnant. Quite a difference from the morning view.
    It seems like it would be advantageous to fish or view a particular spot through an entire outgoing tide (once it started ebbing), and probably fish from a boat, as public access didn't really match up with the good looking fishing spots.
    Makes me wish I had a more capable boat and the time to explore all those south sound spots.

Yesterdaymorning, after checking out the Willapa River and seeing absolutely no salmon activity, except for a few hopefull anglers, (word was a few Kings had pushed in last week with the rains), I went to one of my favorite tidal creeks and slowly rode/fished the tide in from just after low (before noon) all the way to the head of tidewater at high tide (after 4pm way back in), and then waded upstream a bit and fished the creek. Then fished back down, hitting the boat ramp at 8pm.

Had decent action on the way in (5 nice SRC to hand...9" to 12"). Found two
    nice ones (about 12" each) in the last tide-affected (more fresh creek water backup than tidal inflow) pool, none upstream, and about 5 more nice ones
    (10" to 13") in some of the draining tidal pools on the way out. All on hot-orange or "polar-shrimp" #6 reverse spiders. LDR'd a half dozen others.
    Saw one large V-wake on the surface going out that I took to be a salmon, but I apparently spooked it and didn't see it or any other signs of salmon after that.
    All in all, a good trip. :thumb:

Jimbo

6. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red I miss Joe Strummer