Great for tube flies. . .

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Jeremy Husby, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    I think I posted this awhile ago, I found these are being used in norway for the tubes in tube flies, I have order myself 1000cnt/$50 and are great. The taper allows for a small head and the back good for hook holding so there is no need for extra Tygon tubing. You can order from:

http://www.brinkmann.com/product.asp?ref=241&path=289&tb=OrderInfo

I would do more research on them, make sure the sizes are what one would want and would fit around the hook that is goingto be used.

here are the pics:

Attached Files:

2. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Are they micropipette cartridges?
  3. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Nevermind... I guess they are. :beathead:
  4. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    yep, I take it you can get you hands on some. . . . .
  5. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Used to. They are devices that are used to delve out tiny tiny drops off liquid. They usethem for DNA testing. The things you bought are thedisposable tips. I bet they'd be great for tube flies when I think about it.
  6. Troutnut New Member

Your City ,State
    That's a pretty good idea. :) My friend was using a bunch of those in front of me in her biochem lab the other day... I can't believe it didn't hit me to tie flies with them!
  7. steve s Member

Issaquah, Washington
    Ratings: +4 / 0
    I've been working in biotech for the past six years, use tips every day and it never occured to me to use them for tube flies but then again I've never tied any tube flies. They come in many different sizes and tapers. Let me know if anyone needs more info and yes I do have access to them.

steve s
  8. Don Johnson Duke of Furl

Ocean Shores, WA
    They also use the larger tips (2.5mL or 5mL size) as a "dispenser" for egg yarn when tying glo-bugs(clip the tip of the pipette tip and thread the yarn through). Hareline sells a kit ready to go for that application and it really does help make the material more manageable when tying an egg pattern.
  9. Hywel New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    The use of Eppendorf-style pipettes isn't all that new. Jurij Shumakov has been tying on them for quite awhile and has a marvelous article and several eye-catching patterns posted on Rackelhanen.

Hywel
  10. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Yes the article is a must read for people that have not read it, his patterns are so unique to the Americaised look of patterns. I have tried and tried to duplicate these at my vise and really have never been able to (one reason being lack of good materials, other being just not good enough).

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10176.htm

I love the Scandivian look of patterns, like the temple dog. Here is a great pic for tube fly lovers, I forget where I found it, I think it was off of Jufij personal site a couple years ago.

Attached Files:

11. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    Wow. Some nice patterns in there. Lots of new ideas for the "form" of the fly as well.
  12. Monk Redneck

Marblemount, WA
    [IMG]

That would be a killer pattern out here I bet.
  13. Davy Active Member

SIlverton, OR
    Ratings: +16 / 0
    cool stuff!! thanks for sharing
  14. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +564 / 5
    Yeah, Yuri does some awesome work. You should see his spey flies. Just spoke to him yesterday about some stuff in fact. Great guy, and one top notch tyer (and person to boot). Yeah, I agree. Alot of good info on his pages.
  15. Hywel New Member

Bothell, WA, USA.
    Jerry,

You *spoke* to Jurij? Man, long-distance to Lund is expensive!

I agree, while Jurij's Spey 'toys' are beautiful, his tube flies are some of the most breathtaking work you'll see. It never ceases to amaze me how he can get such a 'lush' wing under such a diminutive head.

Hywel
  16. speydoc New Member

Cariboo,B.C.
    Jeremy H
    What size pipette tube did you order? Has anyone else experience with these tubes - I am specificaly looking for style and size, there are a whole batch on the sight Jeremy referanced - I am looking for the ones that will allow me to fit a cone(small to medium size) and give me atotal length of 1" to 1.5"
    speydoc
  17. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    The best thing you go do is go to http://www.eptips.com/ and order the free sample. Then figure out which one would work best, then see if you can order it in a bulk set. Bulk comes in 2 bags of 500 and the style I bought (0.5-20 ┬ÁL, 46 mm, which are about 1 3/4") costed 53.00. I use them for super glue tips and other small projects. My order number to brinkmann was 2249202-1.

Thier biggest is the 1-10ml which is 243mm long. I would browse http://www.eptips.com/ and look for the style and length and then make you selection. Hope that helped. . . .

(PS) If your using a cone with a tube you should make a hot weld tool, I made one out of heavy gauge music wire. I pull it through the tube then heat the flared end and pull it into the tube and it flares the plastic up in front of the tube so there is no need for a head, here is a pic of a finished one:

Attached Files:

18. Jerry Daschofsky Moderator

Graham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +564 / 5
    LOL Scotty, sorry, I should've said "emailed". But email is pretty much a form of communication anymore, and most I know refer to "speaking" to someone, even with emails and messengers (since they are virtually "in real time"). Sorry, I'll make sure I "correctly comment" for you. :thumb:
  19. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,401 / 0
    I'm not one for knocking anything to do with fishing. But the way you are all going with this tube fly setup has got me thinking along the lines of almost gear fishing. You seem to be tying them out of bigger and heavier tubes.

I just seem to think that this is getting away from the concept of FLY FISHING. I was always under the impression that fly fishing was just that. trying to fool the fish into something that it eats tied up with feathers or fur or what ever tied on a HOOK not on a tube.With a tube fly you have the leader going thru the fly with a hook attached to the leader like you do when you gear fish.

Jim......One who sticks to the old way of flyfishing.
  20. Jeremy Husby Is there a Vahalla for fishermen?

Arlington, WA
    Very true Old man. . . . Personlly I fish wet and dry flies, but being a commercial tier, keeping up with the trends of the newer patterns is what keeps the money coming in. Poeple have been tying on metal tubes in Europe for years it just now becoming really popular in the states because of the spey fishing allows one to chuck a huge fly. It's no knock on anyone. . . . . I think what ever it takes for some one to leave gear fishing to fly-fishing is a good thing, because once you start fly fishing you dive deeper and deeper into tradition of the sport. People start out with sinking lines and barbelled flies and evolve into double-tapered dry fly only FFmen. I'm there with trout but have years to become a Dry only guy with steelhead, one day when I understand more. But a good point and the surge of the FF popularity will see evolution of the sport and that is what makes FF great is that it allows growth and new ideas but it always leads us back to it's roots. Thats why we are not using bamboo rods, horse hair lines, and cat gut leaders no more, and we as FF have the ability to choose what we keep in the sport and what we leave behind.