Great Lakes steelhead question

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Alosa, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Foothillstrout Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +9 / 0
    Actually they are the same Steelhead strain that the Hatcheries here in Washington use.
  2. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +414 / 0
    I think the point is that the great lakes isnt the same as the pacific ocean. TRUE steelhead taste the salt, Great lakes "steelhead" are just large adfluvial rainbow trout
  3. Foothillstrout Member

Spokane, WA
    Just pointing out that the Genetics are exactly the same
  4. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    you wouldnt call a resident trout from steelhead genetics a steelhead, would you? Same with browns in the great lakes that may have come from sea trout stocks, theyre big ass lake run browns, just like the stelhead are big ass lake run rainbow trout
  5. Foothillstrout Member

Spokane, WA
    I guess I just differ in opinion, if they both come from the same brood stock and are raised in hatcheries then they are the same fish to me. Their environment is just different.
  6. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    resident rainbows in all the S rivers here are from the same genetics as their 20# brethren who migrate to the sea, but you dont call them steelhead. EXACT same genetics, different life strategy
  7. _WW_ Fishes with Wolves

Skagit River
    Ratings: +668 / 0
    My brother and I share the EXACT same DNA donors. His life strategy is totally different from mine...does that mean (as I have suspected all along) that he is not a human?
  8. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    No. You are both Homo sapiens, jus as both PNW steelhead and GL "steelhead" are both O. mykiss. The difference is more like a college degree, you Might have experienced a different education meaning you identify yourself as an engineer while your brother might be a chemist
  9. underachiever !

suburban hell
    Ratings: +489 / 0
    The real question is who gives a flying f... Everyone knew exactly what was being discussed so just answer the questions and participate in the discussion... or don't.
    Travis Bille and Steve Vaughn like this.
  10. ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

Eagle River, Alaska
    Ratings: +112 / 0
    Steelhead do not become steelhead based on genetics, rather their size (or lack thereof) at smolting age, and the accessibility of the ocean.

In anadromidity Genetics don't matter, if they did we'd call every single stocked trout in the lower 48 steelhead because the genitics from them are McCloud river redbands, which until the shasta dam was built were in fact steelhead.

What matters is a taste of saltwater.

Do you call the lake run browns in the great lakes sea trout?
    stilly stalker likes this.
  11. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    I like how you said exactly everything I just did, right down to the lake run browns not being sea trout
  12. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Regardless of what they are, Id stil like to catch them one day. To me, the size of the rivers and fish screams switch rod to me. Roll cast indicator rigs like a boss, or swing an intruder on a tip. Id think a 7wt 11' spey should be the perfect rod for that
  13. triploidjunkie Active Member

Grand Coulee, WA
    Ratings: +1,334 / 0
  14. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,776 / 0
    I do. Great lakes fish are not steelhead and should not be called steelhead. They are lake run rainbows. Steelhead go to the salt.
    Evan Burck likes this.
  15. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    What a bullshit discussion.
  16. Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

bellingham wa
    Ratings: +555 / 0
    They are landlocked steelhead. Just like landlocked Atlantics are still Atlantics these fish are stelhead. They are however landlocked. They behave like steelhead and look like steelhead, they don't have access to the Pacific though.

BTW- there are "rainbows" in the GL as well. They don't generally grow at the same rate as the steelhead. They certainly are different even if the genus and species is the same.

Landlocked steelhead.

Go Sox,
    cds
  17. Brady Burmeister Active Member

OH
    Ratings: +155 / 0
    Telling people I fish for lake-run rainbows uses two extra syllables than saying I fish for steelhead. I don't think there's much misconception among folks(fishermen) here where real steelhead are from. I'm just glad we got 'em, whatever you want to call them.
  18. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    They're Rainbow Salmons

It actually amazes me how little most of you know about the very diverse fisheries over there, but yet know enough to make wild assumptions and argue with each other. It also amazes me that you've all chosen to hijack this guy's thread asking for info, and turn it into an argument of rainbows vs. steelhead
    Steve Vaughn likes this.
  19. KerryS Ignored Member

Sedro Woolley, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +1,776 / 0
    It is not amazing. It is, however, fun.

FYI: The rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) is a species of salmonid native to tributaries of the Pacific Ocean in Asia and North America. The steelhead is a sea-run rainbow trout (anadromous) usually returning to freshwater to spawn after two to three years at sea; rainbow trout and steelhead trout are the same species. The fish are often called salmon trout.[1] Several other fish in the salmonid family are called trout; some are anadromous like salmon, whereas others are resident in freshwater only.[
    stilly stalker likes this.
  20. Salmo_g Active Member

Your City ,State
    Ratings: +1,687 / 0
    Even if we do know what they are, what's with ". . . anadromidity . . .?"

Now that's fukin' dipshit make up your own words right there. I suppose he meant anadromy, if he knows what he's talking about.

Mr. Phister,

The only people making wild assumptions are those who don't know what they're talking about. Not that uncommon on internet forums actually.