Great News for Wild Steelhead!!!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Jay Allyn, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Mike Etgen

Mike Etgen Not Quite A Luddite, But Can See One From Here

Media:
    New River Mike

I absolutely agree the Port Townsend attendees made a difference - the group from the Wild Steelhead Coalition in particular was organized, articulate, objective, and kept the topic to science.
    IMHO, If anyone made the difference, it was that group, and then the follow-up correspondence, etc., that kept
    the pressure on.
    Congrats to all who made an effort!

:thumb

2. Steve Buckner

Steve Buckner Mother Nature's Son

Media:
    Home Page:
  3. pilchuck steelie

pilchuck steelie New Member

great news, thanks for the heads up.

4. need2fish

need2fish New Member

Very Cool! Does this mean we get to continue to share the catch with they Native American Nets? We keep 50% of nothing and they can have the other 50% of nothing?!?!

Andrew:dunno

5. BOBLAWLESS

BOBLAWLESS New Member

Lot of heavy sarcasm around here.

On Chairman Will Roehl in case anyone took the comment about him being a great conservation mind, he voted AGAINST the motion for a moratorium. He's one of those micro-mangers who have just killed us in the last few years. I smoozed with him at Port Towsend during intermission and when it was time to go back to the hearings, I had this sinking feeling in my stomach that not only had I wasted my time smoosing, I might just as well throw my speech in the can.

On the Natives (I have decided to always call them Natives from now on as it was a mistake based on ignorance that got them the name Indians in the first place and it should be corrected), what this does mean is that of those wild fish that do escape the nets, the sportsman will allow more of them to reach the spawning grounds.

But I do think that it would not be unreasonable to ask the Natives to increase the number of days that they do not fish the nets as a sort of quid pro quo. Does anyone ever write the Native chiefs or websites?

Bob, the Tickled Pink by all this :7 :thumb

6. bugnuts

bugnuts Member

The contest now is: who will bring more pressure to bear on the WDFW between now and the end of this "moratorium"? That will determine if it ever becomes permanent, and sportfishers are historically weak when it comes to organizational influence. I apologize for being born a cynic, but my gut feeling is that sportfishers are being set up once again.