Great Time of the Year for Searuns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Dec 4, 2012.

1. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +828 / 1
    Got a nice hole in the weather an hour or so before low slack. The high tide, wind and brown water chased Robert Gerlach and me away from our first three choices. The beach closest to where we met for breakfast five hours earlier gave up some of her beautiful chrome bright trout. All on the popper!

Leland.

photo.JPG
  2. stilly stalker Tuna sniffer

Carlsbad, CA
    Ratings: +189 / 0
    very nice! I always love seeing these guys in the salt. Something about it seems magical. Always worth the effort to find
  3. Eyejuggler Beech Nut

Tacoma
    Ratings: +331 / 0
    Outstanding Leland!
    Bradley and I hit it this morning in the South Sound, the waters were seriously brown/murky and the wind/rain were atrocious. We should have moved but kept hoping it would get better :/
  4. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    Nice Leland, however, I think I will wait for the "brown-out" to subside, but I may be out sooner than later! The Hood Canal is probably chocolate!
    miyawaki likes this.
  5. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

out of state now
    Ratings: +211 / 0
    And the assault begins...look out fishes, Leland is semi-retiring and he is on the loose. Well done, as usual, Leland.
  6. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    As of today (Wednesday) the canal is not chocolate (at least the upper end) and some nice cutts, 12 to 16 inches, were caught on the east side by someone. :cool:
  7. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +200 / 0
    No love for me over the weekend. A couple of hits both days, none to hand. Good couple of days to be on the beach.
  8. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Obviously Leland needs to take a couple of us newer guys under his popper wing and take us out fishing, now that he has some extra time on his hands. Leland, Leland??? :)
    (I'll buy the single malt; I'm sure eyejuggler will buy the cigars......)
    miyawaki likes this.
  9. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    We'll get those tides back in shape after the holidays

Leland.
  10. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +387 / 0
    And I'll bring the lunch if you let me in on the deal!
    Bradley Miller likes this.
  11. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Leland-

Just wondering how far from the mouth of a river you were? Less than a mile? Just trying to figure out if any of my local beaches might be productive today.
  12. mtskibum16 Active Member

Puget Sound Beaches
    Ratings: +198 / 0
    Really only one way to find out....GO FISH! ;)
    Jason Rolfe likes this.
  13. daveypetey Active Member

Went today. Forgot my rod. Too excited I guess. I could go back but high tide is at 3ish in West Seattle. Grrrrr. :(
  14. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    I don't even think about mouths of streams, rivers and estuaries. I found out a long time ago that the old saying, "searun cutthroat don't venture more than 1/4 mile from their natal stream," is full of shit.

Leland.
    Eyejuggler and Bob Triggs like this.
  15. daveypetey Active Member

Ha! Yes I found that to be true yesterday. Went back at high tide and saw many rising, but didn't even have so much as a tug. Leland with your poppers, are they still effective in rough water?
  16. Dipnet aka Tim Hartman

Silverdale, WA
    Ratings: +369 / 0
    +1

IMHO, cutts are very opportunistic and not limited by what "experts" say they'll do. They'll go wherever food and habitat is good even if that means leaving the natal nest.
  17. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    daveypetey,

Yes. Even more so. The most difficult water s dead calm.

Leland.
  18. dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Near the Fjord
    Ratings: +562 / 0
    I stepped out for a couple hours today near Bremerton/Silverdale. A few LDR and a few bumps that I didn't connect. It was cold and mixed snow and rain! I landed a nice prime 13 incher is all. But, a good brake from the news media today. I'm going with a popper next time I hit the water I think. cutt.jpg
  19. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Pretty fish Larry, very pretty.
    Leland.
  20. Gary Knowels Active Member

Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +387 / 0
    I was out somewhere south of the southworth ferry and found fish going airborne with casting range but got no love. Good day out and learned some good stuff, but it would have been nice to connect to something.

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2