Great Time of the Year for Searuns

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by miyawaki, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Ratings: +66 / 0
    Went out the other day in MA9. Found some Cuts(I think) jumping. I was using one of Leland's popper type that I tyed up. Got many hits but no hook ups. I tyed up a few shorter poppers that I will try my next time out. I had heard that the popper was a good search fly so after a few hits I went to a few different patterns no hits on anything. Went back to the top water popper and they started jumping on it again.
  2. daveypetey Active Member

University District, Seattle, WA
    Ratings: +39 / 0
    Well had a good day. 3 hours of fishing, 4 to hand. I picked up a 14 foot clear sinking tip. I love it. It was punching through the wind no problem. Glad to see my winter months are going to be that much more enjoyable. It makes me kinda regret buying my skagit set up. I can't bring myself to go stand in the cold on one of the S rivers to catch i fish ever couple days, which for me are very few and far between.

[IMG]
  3. Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Des Moines
    Ratings: +739 / 0
    I hate doing this cause I really dont want to sound like a dick, but try to keep the cutts off the rocks, they're our friends.:)
  4. Scott Salzer previously micro brew

Ratings: +199 / 0
    The weather was great, maybe too great, for the salt this morning. Spent a few hours slinging a popper and ended up with one rezzie to show for it. Many fish jumping early on and then it tapered off, then fish started jumping again. Had the pleasure to meet up with Steve on a local beach and enjoyed the conversation. Obviously, I guy that can teach you a lot. I look forward to seeing him again.

The very high tides this past week really changed the beaches, especially the drift wood. Moved a lot of it much further up the beach.

Gotta love a decent beach close to work & home.

Merry Christmas and Happy New year to ya all. As for me, on to cooking for the next couple of days.

MB
  5. Speyrod GB Member

Tumwater, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
    Greetings all,

After reading all of the recent posts, I decided to get my lazy butt out of the house. Had a great day at a beach I have not fished in about 2 years. Have no idea what I have been thinking. I saw several fish jumping during my time there. Even had one attack a popper, however there was no hook up. I did manage to bring 4 to hand, several other bumps and brief hook ups. I managed to forget about the rain for a bit.

P1000796.JPG P1000798.JPG
    johnnyd, daveypetey and Bagman like this.
  6. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Nice looking fish. Nice and fat. You can go back and set on your Butt for 2 more years. You need to leave a few for me as I can't seem to catch a cold lately. I guess I'm a woosy this cold weather really gets to me.
  7. daveypetey Active Member

Great looking fish. I have't got into any that fat in a long time. I need to learn some new beaches I guess. ;)
  8. daveypetey Active Member

Well I stand corrected. Got into a really fat cut about 20ft out today on a chartreuse spider pattern. I'll get pics up later. I also brought a couple 8in fish to hand with some Kreelex patterns, which seem to be really productive. All that in about 1:45. Pretty good for an early morning in West Seattle.
  9. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    That does sound good, what/who is a Kreelex pattern?
  10. daveypetey Active Member

They are essentially Clouser Minnows constructed with all flash, but a tad different. Initially tied for small mouth but I've heard that guides in Montana are having lots of luck chasing browns with them. They were invaluable when I was living in VA. I remembered the pattern the other night and threw a couple together. Steve I probably owe you at least a couple!
  11. daveypetey Active Member

Great local shop in VA, check out their site
  12. daveypetey Active Member

The one I tie up are much sparser and kind of a Clouser Kreelex hybrid. Hope all enjoy the pattern. Merry Christmas !!!
  13. Steve Knapp Beach Bum

Maple Valley
    Ratings: +258 / 3
    Good pattern man, I like it. Thanks for sharing.
  14. Shaun Martin Member

Ratings: +10 / 0
    Also got a nice fatty. Probably the thickest SRC I've caught. Didn't even get a look until I went smaller and sped up the retrieve. Nothing like having the beach all to yourself on Christmas Eve! There's some great fishing out there right now. Happy Holidays! photo.JPG photo.JPG
    Dehlan G, daveypetey and formerguide like this.
  15. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Wow. That's a nice fatty.
  16. Speyrod GB Member

Tumwater, WA
    Ratings: +21 / 0
  17. Bagman Active Member

Poulsbo WA
    Well another beautiful day in MA9 yesterday afternoon until the wind came up off shore that is. Man that was cold. Got in about 1 1/2 hrs not a single take. It was sure nice to be back out in the water after a 10 day visit from my daughter and grandson.
    daveypetey likes this.
  18. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +860 / 0
    Outstanding fish, gents; well done!
  19. Don Freeman Freeman

Olympia, WA
    Ratings: +200 / 0

We radio tagged a number of cutts a few years ago to track them. Many of them regularly travel fifty miles here in the south end.
    miyawaki likes this.
  20. daveypetey Active Member

Really? Wow. Was there a pattern in their movement?