Greatest steelheader ever a Californian?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by bananafish, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

Media:
    I'm guessing the link is to Jason's e-mail address:clown:

2. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

Ohhhhhh Snap!

You guys got me!

I just hate the phrases "Get any tugs?" or "I need a tug" or anything with "tug" in it. It is just a major peeve of mine. I can't help but make fun of it.

It seems to be a little disrespectful to this great sport IMO. I guess I just don't see Trey Combs and Harry Lemire talking about getting "tugs" or wanting "tugs" by the river.

You can continue to equate steelhead fly fishing to getting "tugs" all you want. It is a free country. But I suspect some of us cringe at the word.

I never heard the word used in the context of steelhead fly fishing until 2005 and I thought it was a little bizarre at the time and never thought total strangers would walk up to me at the river and tell me they didn't get a "tug" or really needed a "tug".

Maybe I am old fashioned.

3. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Don't you live in Spokane? Two rivers quickly come to mind where you can get that fix taken care of.

4. pollopato

pollopato New Member

Not sure, but will ask. My bro has a drift boat he runs that stretch pretty regular. Seems they should be up by now!

I'm jealous, can't make it down for Xmas...

5. Cougar97

Cougar97 Member

Media:
    Boys,

I started this little conversation. Therefore I will try and put it into some perspective. I just hope when I fish the Trinity over the Xmas weekend I am blessed with the opportunity to stick this "Regal Fish" that we all dream about. Merry Christmas and to all a good night.

Tight Lines.
    :beer1:

6. Cougar97

Cougar97 Member

Media:
    Panhandle,

I have sat back and read your responses for the last couple years, yes I do live close to those rivers. However my schedule has allowed me to fish other rivers that I just hope that you can all fish. Having said that my luck has been poor during the "winter months". Panhandle you appear to live north of me. If you care to travel south to those rivers, I would be honored to meet you mid way and fish those runs with you.

PM, Tight Lines,
    ptyd

7. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Headed down there the second week in January.

8. dids

dids New Member

Home Page:
    There is a blog up now on the 'Rivers of a Lost Coast' site at:

ROALC Blog

As of now, there is a post up about Bill Schaadt. Any comments or thoughts on blog topics are welcome. There are other links about Bill Schaadt also posted on the blog for further readings if anyone is interested.

9. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

Media:
    Neat, I remember a Mr. Bill Kiene from one of my fly fishing books or perhaps a magazine article on CA steelheading. Les Johnson too, Mr. Schadt must have been one of the best as I remember from the older steelhead fishing books and articles in my collection.

10. Cougar97

Cougar97 Member

Media:
    Panhandle.

Game on!! PM me I'm in.

Tight Lines,

11. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

Media:
    Panhandle, PM me but I am curious which rivers you are planning to fish then..

12. Cougar97

Cougar97 Member

Media:
    Jason,

Are we even now? I poorly used the word "tug" and you can't spell... Having said that lets go stick a fish. I will be back from the Trinity after Christmas and will be trying to break my poor winter luck on those "two" rivers that Panhandle alludes to, actually there is a third river down that that may be better than the others. PM if you get to this side of the mountains.

Tight Lines,

13. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I am sorry. I was mostly being tongue in cheek. You can go get your "tugs" all you want! I will continue to think it a ridiculous expression. ;)

As far as spelling, I just use the spell check built into this site. So blame the spell check.

14. dids

dids New Member

Home Page:
    Kiene has been in the fishing scene for quite some time and he knows many of the greats. It can still be said though, that none really compare in fish numbers, amount fished, and pure dedication to the sport when speaking of Bill Schaadt.

15. Scottpuck

Scottpuck Member

Hey Bill - Glad to see you joined our humble little board (that was complete sarcasm!) I used to live in Sacramento and visited your store all the time. You got me into chasing Stripers and damn how i miss that!

Hope everything is going well and business is strong!

Cheers,

Scott

16. Richard Torres

Richard Torres Active Member

Media:
    What was that quote that was said about him?

"The guy lives for fishing" (?)

Anyone that fishes 365 days a year has my vote!

17. Richard Torres

Media:
    Jason:

What kind of whiskey and i'll let ya know...ptyd

I'm partial to a good Irish. But i'm still experimenting..

18. Richard Torres

Media:
    "Transported, he would turn to follow the progress of his line downstream until a salmon took, then he would outline the peculiarities of the struggle as he battled the lunging monster to a standstill near the sink. Once again I was under the spell of the only man I know whose every thought, action and possession is a cohesive, unified extension of himself, like the spokes of a wheel coming into contact with the encompassing rim.

Dids:

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed the article..

19. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    if you don't believe Panhandle, just ask Teeney...he'll tell you the same thing... ;)

20. GualalaRiver

GualalaRiver New Member

I now I got into this conversation way late....But believe me he was the BEST. I have fished the Russian, Gualala, Chetco, Smith and even the Kenai and Kasilof in Alaska with Bill. The stories are true and there is many more. Bill was aggressive and positive about what he did. His favorite fly was a Comet....any color comet style will work. His club type hands and bent up right thumb from casting were sensative. I rewraped a rod for him one year with SS guides, he wore them out in a year....ever done that? The first years fishing with him were tough, once a friendship was made he moved in. Into my house while fishing the Gualala, travel trailers side by side at the Smith. Hated by most...as he caught the first, the most and the last. Remember you can't catch a fish unless your hook is in the water...and his was. Don't waste time looking in your fly box for another fly....keep fishing.

In the 60's and 70's the fly fisherman was a new and different bred. I'm happy, old and proud to be one of the guys that fished in that time frame. We have all had are good days on a river...but Bill had more than all of us. Bill and I fished with Jim Tenny and Ed Rice on the Kenai in 1986...Jim caught the only fish in 10 days on the Kenai in mid-May. Bill and I caught our share on the Kasilof. I miss he dearly....Please you guys see the movie and remember the names and faces you see in the movie....as they were the pioneers of what you have and enjoy today. Arch Richardson, Stewarts Point, CA arch_hunting-n-fishing-fool.com This will be my first and last post, found this sight while surfing and had to let you know...........BILL WAS AND IS THE BEST-AND ALWAYS WILL BE...

Tacoma Red and speyfisher like this.