Green Drake Emerger Question

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ceviche, Jun 15, 2004.

1. As some of you have guessed, I've been examining Green Drake fly patterns. Because of my success with a cripple emerger pattern, I've been drawn to the matter of nymph colors.

From the few pictures of the Green Drake nymph I've seen, the color seems much darker than the (dark?) olive recommended in the patterns. Even all the large mayfly nymphs I've ever seen on rocks seem dark enough to be closer to black than any olive color available. Is there something I'm missing?

If I were to tie a variation of the Quigley Cripple, I'd really like to have the lower part of the pattern to be as close to the nymph's color as possible. Any suggestions or recommendations?

2. IMHO, you're getting a little too technical in worrying about if the bottom should be a different color than the top, etc. Popular theory indicates the fish key in on size, shape, and then color of a bug.

I think the emergers are typically brownish/olive, and it varies slightly on locale. The nymphs are typically more brown than green. If you tie up some Quigs in varying sizes, using the brownish/olive coloration, you'd be ready for both green drakes AND flavs. :thumb

3. Thanks for the pointers! :thumb

4. "And flavs"

is that latin slang?? ;)

5. I agree with Richard. I tend to keep things pretty simple by tying all dry flies in two colors...gray (dark) and yellow (light). For example, gray sparkle duns in 10-18 covers almost all mayfly emergers (brown drakes, gr drakes, gray drakes, flavs and bwo). I then add to the mix light yellow sparkle duns in 14-18 for pmd, peds and the like. This works for parachutes, cripples, thorax duns or whatever other profile you like to fish. The only exception I would add to these color choices is with spinner patterns, where I like gray and rust.

>IMHO, you're getting a little too technical in
    >worrying about if the bottom should be a different
    >color than the top, etc. Popular theory indicates the
    >fish key in on size, shape, and then color of a bug.

6. I agree with the responses so far, however, some people just like to get technical and that's okay. If Ceviche is exploring that angle than I say go ahead and play it anyway way you want to. It probably won't hurt but I think you have answered your own questions regarding color. If building a tri-colored nymph complete with the correct amount of legs, antenae and gills floats your boat then sail away.
    TC

7. My main concern is that the lower half of the emerger resembles the nymph as close as possible. If one uses CDC for the hackle, I figure that the fly will still remain enticing if the trout first sinks it instead of striking. I saw that behavior during that Yak green drake hatch, though I suspect the victim was a fully emerged dun still drying its wings.