Green Highlander Kelson 3/0

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Ratings: +513 / 0
    Thought I'd through out a GH, Kelson version since Eunan just did a Pryce-Tannatt version. I haven't tied one in a few years and they weren't that good anyway. I think it turned out pretty well, wing could have a little better shape, but not bad. Hope you like it. DSCN2170.JPG DSCN2168.JPG
    WonkyWapiti, dryflylarry and GAT like this.
  2. GAT Active Member

Willamette Valley, OR
    Ratings: +2,698 / 0
    I actually tried tying one of those.... once. The wings of mine didn't turn out perfect either... of course, neither did anything else... none of it. Not one part.

(I keep telling you guys, don't point out what you think isn't perfect -- you don't see me mentioning the mistakes I think I made when I draw my cartoons... and there are many. You never heard Picasso mentioning the mistakes he made in his paintings... which was basically the entire painting... I never could see the nude in The Nude Descending A Staircase. What nude???)
    Mark Mercer likes this.
  3. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks Gene, I guess if I were trying to sell them I might not want to mention the things that weren't perfect (as if anything is) but sometimes I don't see things till they're done and zoomed in on, then I'll see things that should have been fixed or changed so I comment on them so people know I'm aware of them....I guess?

My first try at a ASF was a GH and I still have it, maybe I'll take a picture of it, just for fun!
  4. S Fontinalis Active Member

Ratings: +180 / 0
    Looks good Mark. You already mentioned the wing, perhaps one turn off the butt too....i know, that is really nit picking...Sorry. Cracking head though!!!

Comp time!!
  5. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks Eunan, I agree one turn less would have been better, I'm running low on Herl and some more choices on sizes would also help. This was my practice fly, when I have time I'll try another. You definitely need to enter one in the wet fly category as well, I might do a spey if I do it too.
  6. David Prutsman All men are equal before fish

Woodland Park, Colorado
    Ratings: +25 / 0
    I just set this as my new desktop background picture on my laptop. Beautiful fly, Mark!
  7. Mark Mercer Member

port orchard, wa
    Thanks David, I'm flattered, glad you like it.