Green River - Good Shape - Steelhead are in!

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Luv2Spey, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Luv2Spey Member

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Went to the Green today for the first time. I was anticipating battling the gear guys but I guess that, because it was a weekday and the weather had been forecast to be awful, it wasn't too bad.

The water was in great shape and I managed to catch a 15lb hatchery buck on a bead-head, chartreuse marabou leach while two gear guys watched. They had just walked in to the pool and had asked how we were doing. :LOVEIT. I was using a type 3 sink tip attached to a Rio Windcutter line. The fly was attached using a Duncan loop to a 6 ft hand-tied leader that tapered from 30 lbs to 10 lbs.

As soon as the pictures are developed, I'll post one. This guy was really thick and bright.

Here are more details from my log entry:

The river flow was 500 CFS and falling (measured at Renton). The water temp was 46 degrees F and the air temp was 48 degrees. The wind was very slight and blowing upstream (in one's face). The water depth where the fish was hooked was about 4 ft and the visibility about 3 ft. The time was 1:43 PM, the sky was heavily overcast but not raining. The location was the pool at the end of the Metzler park trail. You'll definitely need a spey rod to fish this pool as you'll be tight against the bank (gets deep fast).

For you spey guys, the wind (upriver) and tight bank required me to use the snap-T. With this cast, I was able to average around 70'-75' of line (from my boots to the fly). The fish picked up the fly about 3/4 through the swing - Definitely not on the dangle.

Cheers,

Michael
  2. Nailknot Active Member

Cascadia
    Ratings: +11 / 0
    Nice report! Thanks.
  3. Matt Burke Active Member

Kenmore
    Ratings: +69 / 0
    That's good news Michael. When are we going fishing again? That snap-T you showed me has improved a lot. Snake rolls with a sink tip are a drag but the double spey or snap-T seems to get it out of the water.

The Sauk and the Skagit above the Sauk looked good when all the other rivers were puking concrete. Don't know if the Chrome is up that high, but the Chum are starting to die off up there to make room for the wall of Steelhead.

Matt
  4. miyawaki Active Member

Kent, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +880 / 1
    Hey Michael,

Fishing Metzler, if you don't cross, with an upstream wind, for us right-handers, requires a backhanded snap-t, or as I'm sure you did, a left-handed snap-t. You dog, you!

Nicely done. It wasn't a time agoe when that hole was filled with chummers.

Leland.
  5. Luv2Spey Member

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    Hey Mattzoid,

I'm really anxious to hit the Skagit/Sauk. I understand that, even when the Sauk and Skagit (below Rockport) are blown out, the upper Skagit is almost always great.

Let me know when you can get away.

Cheers,

Michael
  6. Philster New Member

Ratings: +3 / 0
    Hey Matt

For Snake rolls and single speys with sink tips, just do a roll cast straight downstream first, then do your normal cast. I know what you are thinking "single spey? I can't single spey!" Well if you do a roll cast to get your line up on top of the water first, you'll be single spey casting in no time! I know it seems like another step, and a time waster, but in no time it will become so automatic that it becomes part of the smooth movement of whatever cast you follow up with.

Phil
  7. Luv2Spey Member

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    Hi Leland,

Thanks for the implied complement, but ambidextrous spey casting is
    no big deal. I practice with both hands only because I want to be able to teach spey casting to both right and left handers. However, I believe that for day-in and day-out fishing, the reverse version of each of these spey casts are [arguably] more powerful than their normal counterparts.

Here's why :pROFESSOR:

In order to execute the reverse version of any of these spey casts, the body must be rotated to a greater extent in order to accomodate the cross-chest move. The cross-chest move also forces the rod slightly higher in order for the upper arm to clear the chest. Coupled with the torque generated by the body unwinding and the [slightly] higher rod position, the line will tend to fly farther and higher - All good things.

Note that all of the current crop of inarguably great spey casters, with the possible exception of Simon Gawesworth, almost always use reverse casts when not teaching. This includes the likes of Dec Hogan, Derek Brown, Mike Maxwell, Jim Vincent, etc.).

Cheers,

Michael
  8. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,709 / 0
    What do I know---I'm just an old man

Went to the upper Skagit today The river was up about 18 inches but it was still clear. Had one on and one other bite but they were probably Chum as that was all I could see in the river. And the weather was really nice it didn't rain except most of the time.

The Sauk was starting to run faster with a tinge of brown. And you can just about forget about the Stilly. It's bank to bank and the color of wet cement.

Jim
  9. Luv2Spey Member

Sammamish, WA, USA.
    Hey Matt,

I agree with Philster. A roll cast, even a half-assed one will bring the sink tip to the surface allowing you to execute the snake.

I use the roll cast technique all the time for sink tips. However, I've been advised by guides that the additional roll cast raises the risk that the fish will be put down. Maybe so. However, I mostly ignore this advice and I'm doing pretty well so far (for a newbie)this year. Three steelhead on sink-tips since October.

One other piece of advice that I think is worth heeding... If you flub the cast do not recast if it's even marginally fishable. I have as many pulls/takes on screwed up casts as on picture perfect ones, and recasting to untouched water is not a good thing.

Cheers,

Michael