Green River Utah

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Dustin Toney, May 5, 2013.

1. Dustin Toney

Dustin Toney New Member

Anyone on here fished below the Flaming Gorge Dam on the Green River in Utah?
    I am reading that it is one of the best trout fisheries in the Lower 48 States. I am trying to plan a road trip down with my drift boat. If anyone might be interested in fishing the river let me know.

Thanks
    Dustin

2. tippet

tippet hardcore flyfishing addict

It is a fabulous fishery. Fish the A section if you are unfamiliar with the river. It goes from the dam down to Little Hole.

3. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Gadzillion fish per mile. Beautiful scenery. Do it multi-day, through C to Swinging Bridge. Bonus - you must retain the Pike you catch now!

4. Dustin Toney

Dustin Toney New Member

I want to do just that. A, B and C.

I am reading that the A section has 15000 fish per mile.

There was a brown trout caught in 98 or 96 that was 29 lbs 12 oz

5. Derek Young

It's worth it. Especially during the cicada hatch. B is the best camping, you have to reserve campsites. Get to Little Hole and reserve them for the B. C is wide open, camp where you can.

6. Dustin Toney

Dustin Toney New Member

lets go!!!!!!!!!!

7. Derek Young

I've had my fill of the GR for a while, but if you've never done it you should.

8. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

Shocked no one has mentioned the crowds. The insane crowds. Carefully pull out, you'll have about eight other drift boats bearing down on you.

9. Joe Goodfellow

Joe Goodfellow Active Member

That place is great caught my first trout there. There's a camp site place with a pond to that had some brutes in it.

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Great fishery in a fantastic setting. The cicada hatch is super fun. I've only floated the A section, and would do it again in a heartbeat. Don't do the A section for solitude, but we had no problems finding plenty of space to fish. If we go again, I'd like to float the B and C sections as well.

Enjoy the fishing and scenery both!

Sg

11. Kevin J. Burnham

Kevin J. Burnham Active Member

It basically sucks !! Unless you like more people than you ever thought possible on one river. Unless you like catching tons of small fish. If you get one over 20 feel very lucky !! Great looking place is the only good thing I can say about it !!!

12. The Duke

The Duke Been around

Does it really have 15,000 fish per mile in that stretch? That is incredible!

13. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

The San Juan in new mexico is also an appealing tail water option, if you don't mind fishing size 26 midges. I've heard its comparable to the green river, and while it does get a lot of fisherman, I've never felt crowded out. The San Juan is my favorite place on earth

14. flycasterwa

flycasterwa Chris Delsing

One of the best trips I have ever made

15. Derek Young