Green Seal Fur Bloodworm

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by johnk, Mar 24, 2014.

1. johnk

johnk Active Member

While I was on the coast for the Outdoors Show in Abbotsford I did a chironomid tying demo at Pacific Angler in Vancouver and this was one of the featured patterns. For the most part I think that most flyfishers fish green bloodwroms much too rarely. From throat pumping samples I am quite sure when the fish are on green bloodworms that is all they want so it is a good idea to carry a few in your box.

Pacific Angler managed to videotape 6 out of the 8 patterns I tied before the batteries went dead and I will post a few here or would it be better to put them in the SBS/Video section?

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Thank you Sir.

3. Mike Ediger

Mike Ediger Active Member

Thanks John! I enjoy the commentary about as much as I do seeing the fly tied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. chiro

chiro New Member

John
    thanks for these. Do you think the fish take the green bloodworm as a green leech?

5. johnk

johnk Active Member

At times I'm sure they do but usually when I'm putting the pattern on the fish have a throat full of bloodworms.

Mike Ediger likes this.
  6. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

I would certainly fish this as a leech pattern and from there, I wouldn't care why the fish ate it. I have had great success on a green blood worm pattern especially in some BC lakes where I've found them to be more prevalent. I have not seen as many in the Washington lakes I fish.

Kaiserman and Mike Ediger like this.
  7. Mike Ediger

John,
    I fished a lake Wed and the fish consistently had two colors of worms in their throat; dark redish/maroon and bright green. I had never seen this before, but the worms were entirely 100% bright green. There were not in the pupa stage yet, by that I mean no thorax or gills. Just a true green larval worm.

8. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

I've often wondered the same, as I see several different patterns online - but wonder if they are a "regional" thing, for a lack of better words.

But then again... I'm new to this whole chromie thing, so maybe I'm just talking out of my butt.

9. Kaiserman

Kaiserman content

Were you right off of the bottom Mike?

10. Mike Ediger

yep, or very close to it.