Green Seal Fur Bloodworm

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by johnk, Mar 24, 2014.

1. johnk Active Member

Tunkwa Lake, BC
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    While I was on the coast for the Outdoors Show in Abbotsford I did a chironomid tying demo at Pacific Angler in Vancouver and this was one of the featured patterns. For the most part I think that most flyfishers fish green bloodwroms much too rarely. From throat pumping samples I am quite sure when the fish are on green bloodworms that is all they want so it is a good idea to carry a few in your box.

Pacific Angler managed to videotape 6 out of the 8 patterns I tied before the batteries went dead and I will post a few here or would it be better to put them in the SBS/Video section?

2. Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

Bellingham Wa.
    Ratings: +316 / 1
    Thank you Sir.
  3. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA
    Ratings: +152 / 8
    Thanks John! I enjoy the commentary about as much as I do seeing the fly tied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  4. chiro New Member

coquitlam bc
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    John
    thanks for these. Do you think the fish take the green bloodworm as a green leech?
  5. johnk Active Member

Tunkwa Lake, BC
    Ratings: +139 / 0
    At times I'm sure they do but usually when I'm putting the pattern on the fish have a throat full of bloodworms.
    Mike Ediger likes this.
  6. Irafly Active Member

Everett, Washington, USA.
    Ratings: +1,040 / 1

I would certainly fish this as a leech pattern and from there, I wouldn't care why the fish ate it. I have had great success on a green blood worm pattern especially in some BC lakes where I've found them to be more prevalent. I have not seen as many in the Washington lakes I fish.
    Kaiserman and Mike Ediger like this.
  7. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA

John,
    I fished a lake Wed and the fish consistently had two colors of worms in their throat; dark redish/maroon and bright green. I had never seen this before, but the worms were entirely 100% bright green. There were not in the pupa stage yet, by that I mean no thorax or gills. Just a true green larval worm.
  8. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +403 / 0

I've often wondered the same, as I see several different patterns online - but wonder if they are a "regional" thing, for a lack of better words.

But then again... I'm new to this whole chromie thing, so maybe I'm just talking out of my butt.
  9. Kaiserman content

Ratings: +403 / 0

Were you right off of the bottom Mike?
  10. Mike Ediger Active Member

Spokane, WA

yep, or very close to it.