Green Tomatoes

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Big E, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    I've decided that its time to pull in what's left of the garden and have about a 1/2 bushel of green tomatoes. I had an Early Girl produce some nice red maters but the taste left a bit to be desired. The Better Boys were big producers but hardly any ripened. I'm now left with a bunch of green uns.

We like fried red tomatoes for our morning fry-ups but don't really care for green fried tomatoes. We also don't eat much salsa.

Besides those two things, do you have any other recipes for green tomatoes or have a method of ripening them up?

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Rip the plant up root ball and all. Hang upside down in the garage, basement, shed. Wait.

We had an entire garden crop under ripe one year when the rains hit earlier than expected. Pulled them all, hung them and had continuing to ripen fruit for months. Best overall tomato year that we've had and it started as a bunch of unripened mess.

3. Mike McAvoy

Mike McAvoy olddog22202

Put the green tomatoes in a paper sack with one apple. You will be amazed what time and the apple does to green tomatoes.
    Peace
    Mich

4. Big E

Big E Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    Too late....I did up a 12 pints of green tomato chow chow last weekend. Turned out pretty yummy.

I was planning on doing up some green tomato ketchup as well but my back has been killing me so I tossed the rest on the compost pile.

5. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Media:
    Next time just stick them on the window sill and wait a while. I did that with some cherry tomatoes and when they were ripe the dog ate them. He sure likes them.