Greenheart spey

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by yuhina, Jan 18, 2013.

1. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Enjoy!

Ian Gordon
    This was a very quickly put together clip showing how well the Greenheart rod copes with a short head fly-line. We tried lines of between 46 and 60 feet, for a #7 through to a #12. Slight change of technique needed but each worked very well.

fredaevans likes this.
  2. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

Mark, did you get a chance to cast that rod? How long and heavy is that thing? Cool vid.

3. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Hi Tim.

I never cast a greenheart... but I do have cast some heavy and soggy two headed rods. I think Ian have demonstrated here well that even a old and heavy rod can execute a underhand casting methodology well .. (though, I do believe there are many different variations in underhand casting) I think there are some good techniques in this video that Ian willing to share... good stuff...

4. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Ian taped this on his own. I have the same rod Ian is using and at almost two pounds and 15ft the easiest way to cast it is very upright, once you get the rod moving or wound up in the right direction the power is incredible

Wadecalvin likes this.
  5. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

Hi Bruce,

Do you think any of the rods power comes from it's weight? I found mention online of rod momentum being a factor in moving line on greenhearts. Just wondering what your experience tells you...

Klickrolf likes this.
  6. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

Weight does help. If you can find the book 'fine and far off'. By jock scot there is a wealth of information on greenheart rods as well as great fishing info dealing with casting angles for presentation

Klickrolf likes this.
  7. Wadecalvin

Wadecalvin Member

I was impressed by how powerful and "springy" it looked on the video for being that old. If you were to cast a Carron Line on that hog, what would it be?

8. fisshman26

fisshman26 Member

I use the 75 9/10. Springy and alive is the best way to describe it

Wadecalvin likes this.
  9. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi All,
    Ian is casting a Playfair Grant Vibration rod, and not the Original Vibration Rod but a copy that was never the same as the original........ Bruce is right about casting it quite up-right.

Here is a little from Alexander Grant in a letter to the famous "Jock Scott." explaining the differance between his rod and others.
    You will like this yuhina...... think about it....... and let me know what you think.

Before the above process starts the rod is taken down to a uniform taper without in any way dealing with its wood variations and in this stage it has plenty of rough and inflexible vibration and would throw a long line with force but it is far from my meaning of the Grant Vibration rod. No rod or anything else requiring vibration movement, seen or unseen, can be made true wanting the knowledge of acoustical application. It is the indispensable power in ruling, regulating, relating and the connecting of parts into a whole. Any d----- thing vibrates and its noise or power is precisely in accordance, anything from the smallest vibration article to the most complex can be made complete in itself and no chance work. Though in a thousand pieces the parts can be related one to the other, all laid aside separately, and when put together - a oneness - with no overtones or over balance, power in nature.
    Cheers Gordon.
    DTX Pro Staff.

fredaevans, Klickrolf and fisshman26 like this.
  10. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

Seems Mr. Grant had some understanding. Several posts here have got me thinking. Trevor's, regarding weight and whether it contributes. The real question should be where and how it contributes...because it must. Alex made violins (and spey rods) but his contribution was about vibration. Most of us aren't understanding what he meant by "vibration". We'd think vibration would mean something was loose...but that's not what the vibration was about, it was about harmony, one section to the next, hence the splice...No dead spots. Maybe, and I think so, Alex was talking about harmony. Harmony as one splice meets another, if they are complimentary they'll work very well. And line speed...swinging weight is dead critical. Can a weightless rod or a weightless hammer contribute anything to a cast, or driving a nail? I don't think so.

Grant's vibration rods were designed to transfer energy (vibration) through a wood medium and the more harmony between the sections the better it would cast.

Wadecalvin and fisshman26 like this.
  11. speyghillie

speyghillie speyghillie

Hi Kickrolf,
    The weighted or weightless hammer was put forward by Jock Scott, not Alexander Grant himself, he also made Single handed rods and Golf club shafts that were based on his understanding of Vibration in everything.
    Using his own casting style...... not a fancy Speycast as he called it but his Highland Switch cast, switch casting and switch rods go back to the 1890's.
    Got to fly.
    Cheers Gordon.

12. TrevorH

TrevorH Active Member

The "oneness" Grant speaks of is something I believe I've felt in modern graphite rods, though it has been the rarest quality I'd ascribe to any rods I've cast.

13. Klickrolf

Klickrolf Active Member

It's not rod recovery speed, it's the rod's mass under controlled motion that sends a line "fine and far off". The closer the rod comes to "oneness" the better it'll perform...and greenheart is becomming way more interesting.

fredaevans and fisshman26 like this.