Greenwell 3/0 Champion 3/0 (second try)

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by Mark Mercer, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Hi folks,

Just finished the Greenwell and my second attempt at a Champion, which I finished a few weeks ago. Both turned out pretty well but looking forward to next year and tying both again to do a better job... I'm never completely satisfied with most of these, but that's OK !!!!

Hope you enjoy them and all the best to everyone in 2014....

Mark

DSCN2995.JPG DSCN2911.JPG

KevinLS, Kaiserman, Beachmen and 4 others like this.
  2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

About how long does it take to tie one of these beautiful flies?

Mark Mercer likes this.
  3. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Shouldn't this post be in the ARTS and LITERATURE forum?

Jack Devlin and Mark Mercer like this.
  4. mlwebb

mlwebb New Member

Both are very nice, Mark.
    Great heads!, clean bodywork.
    Wing on the Greenwell might be a hair long, but the big roof helps it. Nice underwing.
    Michael

Mark Mercer likes this.
  5. Speyrod GB

Speyrod GB Member

Love the flies. You have way more patience than I. Keep them coming please.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  6. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks everyone, glad you like them...

Jamie, some take (4 or 5 hours) some take days and some just never work out.... What takes so much time is applying something over and over till you get it too look right, or as good as you can get it and then going to the next step and repeating the same process.... Eats up alot of time, but I enjoy the challenge... Thanks for the question....

Ira, not sure why you feel these don't belong in the fly tying forum ?? If they were paintings of flies or drawings I'd agree. I used to fish flies like these for steelhead in the past and some still do, in Europe they still fish the classics for Atlantic's. Of course these are not fully gutted so I wouldn't fish them but they are still feathers tied on hooks following the original recipes, I consider them classic's not art.... Maybe they shouldn't be posted on this web site but I've been doing it for a number of years now and I think some people like to see them... I'd like to think it might inspire some to push their
    tying skills too the next level....

Best Regards,
    Mark

underachiever likes this.
  7. Mark, what do you mean by them not being "fully gutted"?

Mark Mercer likes this.
  8. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Mark don't take offense to Ira, he's just being a sarcastic ass, which he is very good at. Just tell him all his posts should be under the sub forum 'how to catch a steelhead on gear...using a fly rod' :)

Irafly and Mark Mercer like this.
  9. Thom Collins

Thom Collins Active Member

Sometimes language fails in the written form. I took Ira's comment as a compliment to the tier, i.e. a work of art.

10. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

Yeah sure, that too.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  11. Travis Bille

Travis Bille Active Member

Yeah, he means it as a big compliment I believe

12. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

We all know that Ira HATES pretty flies that take a long time to tie, and he was obviously saying that no fish would ever eat that such a fly because it doesn't look anything like an bead or yarnie, which we all know is a the salmon/steelheads natural food source in spawning rivers. Because of all this, in addition to the fact that Marks flies will not present well vertically, under an indicator, means that they are utterly useless relics of the past, tied only to be displayed in a shadow box with a paragraph explaining the exact stretch of river where the fly originated, and they should remain in the arts and lit section, WHERE THEY BELONG!!! What a jerk! please report all of his posts to the mods so the can deliberate and decide which emoticon should have been inserted where, in order to make sense of his either rude or complimentary comments. Wait, what? I'm confused:cool:

Thom Collins, Irafly and Mark Mercer like this.
  13. Pat Lat

Pat Lat Mad Flyentist

but seriously Mark, your ties are some of the best around and always worth looking at regardless of whether or not they are out of date. They are little works of art for sure and I don't think many people can re-tell/re-live that part of the history of flyfishing like you can.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  14. Irafly

Irafly Active Member

Ahhh, yeah, the compliment part. AKA works of art, same reason I'm scared as hell to fish some of Pat's patterns even though I know they'll work.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  15. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks again guy's for your interest and comments !!!!

Ira, I took your comment the wrong way, and for that I apologize to you and to all of you !!!
    I'm sure somethings I've written could have been taken more than one way and I guess it's one of the down sides to the internet..

Underachiever, the silk gut loop at the head is only about 1" long down the hook shank, due to it's cost. If I was tying it to fish it would be the entire length of the hook for strength and then varnished (fully gutted ).... Good question, thanks....

Pat, LMAO !!!!! Pretty funny !!! I had also forgotten they wouldn't hang well under a indie, so Ira would not have much use for them :). Not the most versatile flies, for sure !!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!
    Mark

16. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I would have read the post as a compliment or stating admiration for Mark's ability to create something like that. I have admired Mark's flies for years and the amount of talent, skill, and patience it takes to tie a fly like that whether it is fishable or not. I look at my fly boxes and at his posts and realize what an infant I am when it comes to fly tying. Some people have and then there are the rest of us.

Mark Mercer likes this.
  17. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

Thanks Steve, very nice of you to say and I'm glad you enjoy them....

Mark

18. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

I bought a wooden box of Atlantic Salmon Flies a few years back from the Wild Steelhead Coalition. I have never fished them and probably never will. They are too nicely done for that so they are displayed in a cabinet in my living room along with a couple of books written by friends and some other highly prized possessions of a fly fishing nature. When I am gone, they will be donated for auction to some charity and will hopefully do some good.

Jeff Dodd and Mark Mercer like this.
  19. Jack Devlin

Jack Devlin Active Member

Mark,
    Almost makes me thankful for cold, rainy weather. Keeps you inside tying.
    Beautiful.
    Jack

Mark Mercer likes this.