Greetings from the rainforest

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChaseBallard, Feb 11, 2014.

1. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

A shot of chrome hope for anyone contemplating making a trip out to the OP:

Rainforest steel.jpg

Despite long drives, 14 degree nights in a tent, fairly low and clear water conditions, minor frostbite in one finger tip (doc said psssh just deal with it), far too much Fireball and Evan Williams, and overall slow fishing, this native made every minute spent in the rainforest over the last few days worth it.

Rainforest steel2.jpg

Ate a purple Hickman's Fish Taco on the swing deep in Olympic National Park. Just about busted me off on the first run but came to hand nicely and swam off even nicer. They're out there.

And if you're a reader of The Drake, I noticed this sweet rig nearby on my happy walk back to camp. Hope it's driver got himself some tight lines!

Ride With Clyde.jpg

Cheers,

smole, Porter, Cruik and 14 others like this.
  2. Danielocean

Danielocean Steelhead Virgin

Awesome. Thank you for the post.

3. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

The Lama's swinging for steel! Guess he couldn't get plates in Tibet so he settled for the next best.

jersey and ChaseBallard like this.
  4. chodder

chodder Member

Nice fish!! Ive been considering a trip out there soon. How were the crowds?

5. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member

Great post!

6. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

No crowds at all where we were, though it's no secret spot and that could change come March and warmer weather.

7. Patrick Allen

Patrick Allen Active Member

Very Nice Specimen you got. I love the shot of the thick back strong as hell wild fish.

Solid Work.

8. Rob Ast

Rob Ast Active Member

great report, and awesome fish.

9. Seth Tyson

Seth Tyson Active Member

Great catch!

10. Dan Cuomo

Dan Cuomo Active Member

Clyde! Oh no! No tight lines for any occupants of that Detroit iron. Tell them the fishing sucks and if the rabid elk don't get you Sasquatch will. One half-way-decent day for those guys and the Upper Hoh Road will look more like I-5 than it sometimes does already. Go South young man… Oregon is WAY better.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  11. fishbadger

fishbadger Member

I saw that too. Owner of that fine Merc seemed like good people when I talked to him. Just trying to swing up some metal in a hard world. . .like the rest of us,

fb

12. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

13. Yadwick

Yadwick New Member

Man you were wasted, that must have been a hangover cure....

14. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

I was wondering if the dudes from the other camp might see this. Way, way too much cheap whiskey on a cold night. Appreciate you guys being friendly fellows and not ridiculing us, at least until we had left!

15. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows The Thought Train

sweet that the drake dudes are on the OP. hopefully they will write it up and help others discover the area.

16. pbunbury

pbunbury Tights Lines

I was out there this past weekend myself and got into a few fish. It was definitely cold, but the swinging was pretty good. Great post, and congrats!

ChaseBallard and Brett Angel like this.
  17. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Pretty funny you guys say this on a total hot spot report...

18. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

It's because its only the Drake's fault for uncovering the secret to this public water with huge native steelhead open long after the other PS rivers close that the OP becomes a daisy chain of Bead Boyz and Pavati drifters every March.

Damn you Drake magazine! You exposed all of our secrets!

flybill and triploidjunkie like this.
  19. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

All I'm gonna say is this: I can look at a map and count over a half dozen rivers out there with chrome in them. Not one is named in this post. I did too much research on access, roads, runs, flows and weather to take that "fun" away from someone else. Or make it that easy. I hope The Drake treats their coverage of the Olympic Peninsula the same way.

20. Tacoma Red

Tacoma Red Active Member