Greetings from the rainforest

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by ChaseBallard, Feb 11, 2014.

1. dragonslayer

dragonslayer New Member

Not everyone is stoked on a bite report especially the locals. Sure, this is a small part of it but it all adds up, and I bet everyone on here knows right where that is. Why do we fish? For the soul? if just for the photo then don't expect everyone to be stoked on your trip report.

2. ChaseBallard

ChaseBallard bushwhacker

I'm going to wade back in briefly in hopes this thread will die. And even if it doesn't, well, it should be said.

When I started naively swinging flies for steel, it took me two years to even hook my first fish. Shit was frustrating, hopeless at times. If I helped even one rookie fly angler overcome those feelings with a bit of hope, then I couldn't care less what haters think. That was my aim in posting.

If you recognize that spot from a picnic table and a few trees, then you are certainly already in the know. If you don't know, well that photo isn't helping you much other than saying hey there are some wild steelhead somewhere a week after a freshet in mid-February. Go figure.

Like someone said above, wild steelhead badly need all the allies they can get.

That "keep it secret, keep it safe" mentality isn't helping the native fish, and it doesn't help dudes like Daniel. (sorry man, easy example. Hope your first fish comes soon!) Though the silence from a lack of new fly anglers (and new advocates) might help a few tribal netters and logging companies.

In hopes of taking this offline, if anyone see's me on the river, I'd be happy to discuss further over a cold Rainier. I usually have a few extras in my pack.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014 at 3:19 PM
  3. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Truth be told.

4. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Media:
    Like it... well done. (the original post and the follow-up).

5. Chris Bellows

Chris Bellows Your Preferred WFF Poster

Media:
    neither is the crowding.

btw, nice fish and good report.

sopflyfisher and constructeur like this.
  6. 1morecast

1morecast Active Member

Media:
    Nice fish. Yes I can tell what river you are on by the last photo. Look at the color and shade of the river, the topography around the river. Not all rivers on the OP are created equal.

From What I have seen the argument that more fisherman will help to shed more light on the dwindling number of fish is BS. Maybe some one can show some data on how this works?

sopflyfisher likes this.
  7. chodder

chodder Member

Home Page:
    The ability to turn a good report sour by some of the haters around here is incredible. Not just "bite" reports, how you fish, where you fish, whatever. Its no wonder the same group of people do most of the posting, I can't imagine how many members are afraid to write anything with fear that their post or beliefs will be verbally molested. Granted, there are many members that post very helpful info, but my word...

I said it already, but nice report, nice fish. This troll is crawling back to his bridge now.

8. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    I think the haters are mostly guys who can't go fishing.

Immediately when I saw the picture I was like "man, f this guy". as I was sitting at my desk seeing pictures of what I wish I was doing!

9. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    If one can't handle a report like this then I just don't think you're cut out to spend time perusing a fishing forum. I'm all for keeping hotspotting out of reports but if you know the spot based on the picture you've already put in the leg work.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  10. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Sop, as one of the "out-of-towners" I didn't know where he was fishing until your previous post, and even then I may not of have been aware of the intel within it if others hadn't admonished you. There's some humor in that, for sure.

11. underachiever

underachiever !

Media:
    Fwiw, I don't disagree with you in regards to some of the mags kiss and tell nature being less than ideal for the fishing experience of your average fly fisher.

I think the only kiss and tell features I've liked have been when nwff does articles about some off the wall place in eastern Oregon that's far from any metro area, but for all I know there's some local yokel getting bent about those too.

sopflyfisher likes this.
  12. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

If you are a local and can't find your way around the "mob" then that's on you. The way winter waters run they are just chasing reports anyway. Do you really think the average mag reader knows where to go by these reports? My guess is they read about a river and when they get there hire a guide. That's good for your local economy.

I get the same shit around my hood, but fall flows are steady. So hot spotting has a much more impact since those spots are good to good 90% of the time. I dont bitch, I just hurdle the boat hatch.

20 years ago you couldn't even get flows online. You had to actually see the river or know somebody who could look for you.

Get over it. Fish above the pull outs in the morning and below the put ins in the evening. Or don't.

Chris Johnson and triploidjunkie like this.
  13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Active Member

Guess I had that coming.

I used to freak out about this crap too. Now I just find my way around it and enjoy my time on the water...

14. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Media:
    Wow. Bummer about the crowds. All sections of all rivers closed in my hood today. I won't be headed your way but I'm sure many will. And it won't be because of some internet report.

I think I recognize that spot. Back when I first started steelheading I slept in the back of my 4runner there one night. It rained like crazy and the sound of it on the fiberglass canopy kept me up all night. I was the only one there and it was kinda creepy. In the morning the river was punched. That was almost 30 years ago.

Chris Johnson and triploidjunkie like this.
  15. jake-e-boy

jake-e-boy No mas

could come over the cascades, upper columbia tribs still open. definitely less crowded than coast

16. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I kinda' follow the principle outlined in the very first book on steelhead fishing I ever read, and that was in 1970. No internet, no online USGS streamflow gages.

The author wrote: "talk about how to, anytime. Where to, never."

I think the biggest problem with pimps is that they don't see pimping as a problem and or they don't see themselves as pimps. I briefly considered becoming a fishing guide and writing fishing magazine articles, and then I realized I have a moral aversion to pimping.

Sg

17. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:

I don't mind the pimps. I just think there should be less pimps. I think it's a problem when there are more pimps than johns on the river.

golfman44 likes this.
  18. Luke77

Luke77 I hope she likes whitefish

Media:
    Aren't we all just squirrels trying get a nut?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

19. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Nah, some of think we actually can see! It's the other anglers who are the blind squirrels who occasionally find a nut. Meanwhile, the hidden object in this thread has very much to do with pimping. Or not.

Sg

20. HormanOmorman

HormanOmorman New Member

Home Page:
    If I may wade into the fray here... I don't pay too much attention to many forums, so if I'm breaching some sort of etiquette I do apologize.

Clyde was under my watch when he was spotted by you folks recently. Regardless of intentions, would you turn down the opportunity to take such an esteemed beast out for a ride? I certainly didn't. Yes, I'm a photographer, mostly for my own personal edification at this point in time, but I'm trying to change that. However, my ride with Clyde wasn't about gaining exposure to under-fished or over-fished waters, in the backcountry or someone's front yard. I have no intentions of hotspotting anywhere, I didn't, and I never do. The only place that you will see specifically mentioned is Seattle, assuming they even liked my article and are going to print it anyway. I'm just trying to gain a little exposure for myself, really, call that what you will. I love to travel and fish, much like everyone else here, and to capture beautiful images (and fish of course!) of such incredible places is what motivates me to keep going. If I could make a viable living off it I'd never look back. You won't find specific place names associated with the vast majority of my photos, and the ones you do are either obscure or hardly a secret. If you recognize places then good for you, you've probably earned it. I guarantee that more information was gleaned about Clyde's whereabouts from other people than from me though, as has happened here.

I'd fished that spot with my father almost four years ago when he came out to visit me while I was working for the National Park Service. The fishing seemed productive enough that I was eager to check it out again. I hadn't read any reports on the area at all, in fact I don't recall even trying to find any. I just knew that it was somewhere I wanted to explore for myself given the conditions. I swung up my first fish on the two-hander up there that afternoon, a hatchery kelt. She wasn't pretty, but I was damn proud. Then I got my first bull trout, too. He was a bit more of a stud, pushing 25" and 5 lbs.

I apologize I don't remember your name, but like fishbadger said, I'm just a guy trying to swing up some chrome in a hard world. I know Clyde looks like he belongs to a pimp, but that ain't me. I was just his caretaker, out on a solo pilgrimage to do something constructive in my free time (read: unemployed). If you were to approach me on the water or strike up a conversation back at camp I'd likely be quick to offer a beer and a piece of the water I'm working, because to me sharing is caring, seriously. I think if we'd all just keep an open mind, not jump to conclusions, and share a little more with our friends, neighbors, and fellow fisherman, then the world would be a better place. If you wanna go fishing some time, I'm always down. I've made good friends with more than a few people through the internet recently, and I welcome the opportunity to make more. I think if we all keep an open mind we'd find that a lot of people out there make better allies than enemies anyway :)

orangeradish and ChaseBallard like this.