Grouse Cast and Blast

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by ganglyangler, Aug 16, 2010.

1. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +770 / 0
    Karl, I'd hang on to the Parker repro; especially if they live up to the "old reliable" nickname of the originals!
  2. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Alex,
    You are probably right about the Repro. The problem is I love hunting with my RBL which leaves the Repro in the safe. I do know a friend who is mentoring a young man and I may just give the gun to the kid when he gets a little older. My earlier posts mention my mistakes made in getting rid of shotguns I shouldn't have. This is probably in that category.

Ribka, Ganglyangler, or others: when I grill the dove breast filets stuffed with jalapeno slice, wrapped in bacon, I just grill them to medium rare. It cooks the bacon enough but leaves the doves with that wonderful flavor they have. Cooking them too long dries them out and ruins the flavor. I'm sure you probably know this but I wanted to add it just in case.
  3. Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

Haus Alpenrosa, Lederhosenland
    Ratings: +770 / 0
    That sounds like a great way to cook `em Karl! There's a sauce, Dulcet Madras Curry and marinade-it's hard to find but worth the effort. I take quail and grouse, part `em up, and throw the pieces in a wok with about a third of a cup of the marinade, add some finely chopped yellow onion and some raisins. They're cooked in a few minutes, and I ladle the stuff over jasmine rice, garnish with a bit of chopped green onion. Never tried doves that way, though.
  4. floatinghat Member

near enough to Seattle
    Ratings: +3 / 0
    Funny how its harder to hit a bird with 1oz in a 20 than 1oz in a 12, actually the 2 1/2" shells are 1 1/16oz.

Well I guess I have to find someplace near the CW, for a little Pheasant and Steel :)
  5. ribka Active Member

E WA
    Ratings: +161 / 0
    Went out for bear this morning and saw a really big one. I mean a really big chocolate phase bear. Watched him for 40 minutes with glass. Wind and terrain not cooperating for a successful stalk. Saw 8 grouse while hunting but had the 300 wsm. Did not shoot. Great day to be in the woods though.
  6. old wanderer New Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Been over here trying to get the salmon to cooperate, But NO...nada this year...I have 2 28ga....My favorite is a SKB O/U with 20/28/410 barrels. The other is a CZ S/S I just bought last year. Ought to take a stroll up the mountain tomorrow and see if I can see a few Blue Grouse.

Some years ago, I used to own a 5000 acre ranch. I also competed in skeet. So knew lots of shooters. I used to host a dove opener at the ranch...but my rules:

1. $20 in the kitty.....
    2. 410 only
    3. everybody leaves my front door at the same time.
    4. 1st one to the front door with the limit takes the money.

Had a lot of those AA shooters the 1st year run out of ammo.
  7. Upton O Blind hog fisherman

Wetside, Washington
    Ratings: +191 / 0
    Sounds like a fun way to have a dove shoot. I imagine the best part of the hunt was at the end with everyone laughing about their experiences and debating the honesty of the winner.
  8. old wanderer New Member

Bonney Lake, WA
    Ratings: +0 / 0
    Yes, and used to have a Mexican house keeper that would clean the birds, chop up the breast, and make a dove breast tamale from hand ground corn and special sauces to die for.

After the evening meal, was always interesting to hear the stories, and try to figure out what they write on the bottom of Jack Daniels bottles.