Grouse Hunting.....

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Bluegill kid, Aug 17, 2006.

1. Hi I know that grouse season is comming up and I am thinking of going again this year. Last year me and my dad went up by mount saint helens above swift creek resivour..Although my dad is disabled so we had to drive down the old logging roads looking for the grouse. the whole day I only saw one grouse and didnt even get to get out of the car. my dad didnt want me going and venturing off on my own so I basically had to just sit in the car and look for grouse...It wasnt what I hoped to do...Now this year I am looking into finding a good place that supports alot of grouse in a good area. Now I was woundering if there are any good spots to go grouse hunting in my area, I live in lacenter or actually really close to amboy. as long as its in the hour to hour and a half long drive im all for it. I was thikning of going up by kalama horse camp to go grouse hunting but I dont know.
    is there any good grouse hunting opportunitys in sw washington?

2. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Yo BG Kid

I can't help you with where to go in the state - because I would have to take you there blindfolded - but I can tell you how to hunt.

Lots and lots of lazy bastards in this state. All that they do is road hunt and they bitch when they don't see anything. Look for areas that are clearcut and hunt the edges. Walk in for at least an hour. Hunt the steep stuff that folks without a backbone don't want to go up. I trust that you have a dog?

Finally, check these out - www.mothertech.net. If you are walking you will want one.

3. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

BGK, the best way to find grouse is to understand what they need to thrive. Cover is their best friend. New fir starts around 3 to 5 years old. Birch trees. Berries, stuff you and I shouldn't eat. Marty is close about the clear cut areas, but they need to have a year or two growth to be better. When you find one (bird), chances are there are others around. If you miss, don't give up your guard, stay alert, others can and will flush after you shoot.

Keep your eye on the birdie...:clown:

Most forested areas can support grouse, I've seen them from the OP to the Okanogan (that's where I hunt).

About the dog thing, I've hunted grouse for decades without one, it's not a prerequisite.

If you're gonna beat the brush by yourself, make sure somone knows fairly well where you're hunting. IF something goes wrong and you get hurt stay put. Let them find you. Same thing goes for getting lost, stay put. Carry enough food, water and cothing to spend a night if you have to.
    Now that I typed all that I suggest a wilderness survival class...:thumb:

BTW, whatcha popping 'em with?

4. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Roper, hunting without a dog is a uneventful walk in the woods hoping for the best. I know it can be done, but why? :p

Good luck finding grouse. They're one of my favorite for eating (my favorite being hungarian partridge). I'll be hunting spruce grouse next week in Alaska. Good times- although I've heard they're a little less tasty than blues/ruffed.

5. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

in the old days it was a colt .22 revolver on a .38 frame. all gone, now.

oh well

otter

6. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

A lot of grouse population has to do with how spring treated the broods. Wet cool springs tend to decrease the survival rate of the chicks. Not sure how this past spring treated them. Same weather seems to affect the yellow jackets. Wet cool spring, not many jackets. Last time I was out there were no yellow jackets so it may go the same for the grouse this year. If you are persuing blue grouse, look for long ridges that have hopper populations and water somewhat close by. Old clear cuts also provide cover and berry populations. Early season will be better if you can only drive with your dad. Once the birds have been spooked a few times they won't sit long. Another huge factor is the natural predators. Big coyote populations lead to small grouse populations and spooky birds. Cat populations also lead to spooky birds.

7. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Hey Blue Gill Kid,

All good info here, but I don't use a dog. Once you find one, you can't load your shotgun fast enough. I'm seeing a lot more around here this year, but the road hunters will dust them pretty quick, some before September 1. Edge of clear cuts, near plenty of berry's and a water source, all are good places. Say, isn't there some Turkey hunting in the SW where you are at?

8. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

9. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

10. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Find logging roads that are grown over with weeds. Walk them. Shoot grouse. They'll come out in the open more when the weather clears after a good rain.

11. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

12. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

dam caps lock button...i was not yelling

13. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

You can hunt with a "dog" but until you hunt grouse with a gordon setter you might as well be by yourself. Hahahaha.
    Cheers
    SKeels

14. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Any chance you'd share some info on Ptarmagin in AK (with a dog!). I've been trying to find somebody that could at least point me in the right direction. Looking for an area I don't need to fly into.
    Thanks--

15. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Any setter for that matter is the real deal grouse dog...

16. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

and don't forget if you're gonna do it with a setter, you might as well have a nice double gun as well.
    now thats doin' it right.

17. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

Steve, I don't know any places that don't require you to fly in. I have flown my dogs a few times, it's really not that expensive or dangerous.

I'm going fly fishing and as a side deal I'm going grouse hunting. I'm not taking my dog, but they have dogs up there to use. If I were going to spend the majority of my time hunting, I'd take him, but I'll probably spend only a few hours looking for them during the week I'm there.

On setters... I'd take a pointing lab any day over a setter.

18. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

But, I have a dog....:clown:

BTW, Spruce grouse taste awful...:(

19. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

do they taste like spruce??
    irish water spaniel??

20. NFR Grouse Hunting.....

On setters... I'd take a pointing lab any day over a setter.[/QUOTE]

Now, Now youve never hunted over my gordons. Labs are big dumb oafs.;)
    Cheers :beer2:
    Skeels