Guide spacing for Forecast 11'6" 6-7

Discussion in 'Rod Building' started by thewaker, Feb 24, 2007.

1. thewaker

thewaker Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!

Media:
    I am building this rod. What are the guide spacings for this rod?

Thanks for any help

Mark

2. OhioOutdoorsman

OhioOutdoorsman New Member

3. thewaker

Media:
    Thanks Ohio!!

Mark

4. OhioOutdoorsman

What color wraps are you using? I'm thinking garnet with silver trim on the ferrules. I've got a PAC-BAY A6 reel seat (the double locking nut kind) with an impregnated rosewood spacer that I just glued on.

5. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    You guys will like this rod!! I used a dark green with silver highlighted bands on the larger guides and ferules. I'll take a picture and post if you want to take a look. The green darkened like I wanted, so in low light the wraps are subtle, but throw some light on it and you can see the wraps.

Got an old style Hardy Mach 1 8/9 for a dry line and built a Skagit line for sinktips (should be around 450 grains). The Rio Skagit 450 casts great on it too!

Enjoy! :beer2:

6. thewaker

Media:
    Not sure what the final color on the wraps will be yet. I do have some killer purple 'A' thread that I think would look good on the blue blank. I will post a picture when I gets it done. I can't wait to put a dry line and skater on this little hummer!!

Mark

7. OhioOutdoorsman

Oops, for future reference the pac bay A6 wood insert does not fit on this blank. I'm having to do a little boring........

8. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    I'm doing the grip and reel seat again on mine and a second. I really think this is the most under-rated small Spey rod around. I used a maple wood insert reel seat and had to bore nearly paper thin, but it fits and looks good. I've done standard sized wood reel seats on Spey rods before, and it's no problem, just a lot of boring or filing.

I'm also planning to tinker with the guide spacing toward the butt end. The first two top sections are fine, but aesthetically I thought the spacing of the final 3 guides is too far apart. I'm planning to add one more size 5 snake guide to the mix. I'm not sure if that will push the first stripping guide down onto the 4th rod section. This is a work in progress. I'll share my impression after it's done. I turned the grip yesterday, and I can say that I'm definitely liking the shorter fore and aft grips than I had originally. I also turned to a smaller diameter, since it's really a small rod that I cast one-handed as needed, like when I begin working out my line.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

9. thewaker

Media:
    Salmo,

Thats interesting you say that about guide spacing. I was noticing that on the 12'6" forecast I have already and may space something similar to you when I build the 11'6".

Are you using double foot snakes all the way to the end? I noticed Rich M. stated that he used singles on the final tip section. I'm guessing this would cut down on weight a little as well as making the tip a little more sensitive. Not sure about that yet. I may just build this one with doubles all the way up, after the strippers of course. From what I hear this is a sweet little rod and as you said a way underrated rod for the price range. I could see myself building another for a back up. For the price you could build 2-3 and still not spend as much as a factory Sage.

Flybill, a picture would be sweet

Mark

10. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Mark,

I like the traditional appearance of hard chromed snake guides on a fly rod. Until recently, I wouldn't even use more than one stripping guide (what's the point, really?), or the aluminum oxide insert guides - I stuck to traditional chromed stainless or carbaloy. I finally decided I'm OK with these things on plastic rods after all, tho. But I've never used single foot guides on any rod. I think they are too easily bent or broken, and don't offer enough advantage to be worth the bother of using.

Yeah, anybody who thinks they might want to try a two handed rod but is hesitant about the cash outlay should consider rolling one of these. Cheap, easy, casts well; it makes me wonder what the heck I'm doing with all the rest of my more expensive rods.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

11. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

Media:
    I used snake guides as well and like them too! I have one other rod with single foot guides that is awesome, but will probably just use snake guides on most of my upcoming projects. It takes a bit more time to wrap the guides and I guess makes the rod a little heavier, but I like the look and need practice with my wraps anyway!

And yes, this rod is a real performer, especially considering the price. Price by itself does not make this rod fun, how it casts and fishes does!! :beer2:

I'll try to get some pictures up this evening!

Bill

12. thewaker

Media:
    Salmo, Flybill

I was talking to a buddy who is having a Meiser rod made right now and Bob says he only uses double foot snakes. Bob said the same thing you said Salmo,about the lack of durability of single foots. I think I'll take both of your advice and just stick with what works, and lasts, double foots.

I can't wait to get this rod built. I am on lockdown with no fishing till the baby comes. Any day now. I'm glad I have something fishing related to do while I wait!

Cheers all

Mark

13. Matthew Joyce

Matthew Joyce Member

Im curious, a 6/7 sounds light for steelhead. In BC an 8 or a 9 weight single handed rod is about standard for most systems. I've heard the Forecast 11'6" 6/7 is a powerful rod, but is it up to handling BC steelhead and if not, is the 7/8 rod any good?

14. LG Mix

LG Mix New Member

The Forecast 12.5 footer 7/8 is a good rod in two respects. First, it was the only way I was getting a spey rod in the door past the CFO given the state of the TDF (tackle development fund) last winter when I built it. Second, it is the only spey rod I have ever cast so I have no idea how it compares to one of those $800 jobs. But I do know it is a lot more rod than my singled handed 8 wt GL3, which is not a bad rod itself. I definitely feel better armed with the spey rod than with the 8 wt 9 footer. And I can cover more water and instead of having one really tired arm at the end of the day, I have two. I read generally (but not unanimously) good things about the Forecast 7/8 before building it. I initially tried it with a Windcutter 6/7/8 line but have had much better results “feeling” the casts with a 550 gr Skagit line – more of an 8/9 line. So since I have the lighter Windcutter line I’m planning to build one of the 11’6” rods for summer steelead/SRC’s in rivers and beach fishing. TDF permitting of course. -- LGM

15. Finni

Finni Member

Media:
    Matt,
    In response to your question, I have heard it explained that a 8wt. spey is equivalent to a 10wt single hander, 6wt. spey = 8 wt single. I think it has to do with the thickness of the blanks and stiffness of the lower sections. I will say that a 8wt spey line is in no way equal to a WF8F, it is much longer and much larger, higher grain weight, necessitating the stronger rod (or maybe the rod necessitated the line). (what is it, chicken before or after the egg?) :confused:

However, I am in no way an expert on this, I have only been spey casting since last fall, but I love it. I love it so much, I have built myself two already. The Forecast 13' for 8/9 first, and just recently the 11'6" for 6/7. I haven't gotten the chance to cast the new rod, but it will be a glorious day when I do.

Finni

16. thewaker

Media:
    Hey Salmo,

I am just getting ready to finish my 11'6 and was wondering what length you ended up with for your fore and aft grips. The standard length grips do seem way to long for this rod I agree. I was thinking 4" or 5" off the front and 1" or 2" off the back. Is this close to what you did or did you go way short?

Matt,
    I think the 12'6 would be a fine rod for the BC fish, most people claim it is more of a 9 weight. I fish one and feel it is between 8 and 9 anyway.Plenty of backbone for larger fish IMHO.

Thanks

Mark

17. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    Mark,

I used a 4 1/4" rear grip, 3 7/8" reel seat (including cork covered hood), and 12 1/4" fore grip. With the Elkhorn T-4 reel or St John mounted in the up-locking reel seat, the balance point is right in the indent where I place my foreward hand.

The thing I really, really like with this is that I don't have to move my hand around on the grip, and I don't have to do the "long reach" to move the rod from one side of my body to the other, as I must with every other Spey rod I have cuz the rear and fore grips are so darn long.

I did add one more snake guide than recommended in the guide chart, so my lowermost stripping guide is on the butt section, 5 3/8" from the top of that section.

I'm not much of a Spey caster, so I cannot cast this rod very far, so I still have uses for my longer heavier line Spey rods. But I'm using up to a 15' 8 wt sink tip and casting 2/0 dumbell eyed flies with no problems. I haven't caught any large fish with it, but I don't think I'd shy away from any steelhead that swims. Maybe it's partly because it's so cheap I just don't worry about it.

Matthew,

As mentioned, a two handed rod of a specified line weight is usually equivalent to a single hand rod two line weights larger. I don't think there's any particular reason for this, other than the line weights for single and double hand rods are different scales.

I will use the Forecast 6/7 in BC on smaller rivers, but I'll be mainly using an 8 wt because I'll be wanting to make longer casts on some larger rivers.

It's not that the Forecast 6/7 is all the bee's knees or something. The message to spread in my opinion is that guys with limited budgets who want to try the Spey game have that option in this inexpensive, well performing alternative to the high priced spreads.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

18. Jake Smulkowski

Jake Smulkowski Throwing hoppers into baetis falls

Media:
    Home Page:
    I built up the 13' 8/9 and love it. It definitely likes to be overlined, methinks. What a nice rod. I used a kind of turquoisey thread with gold trim bands, and I really like the way it looks. I need to strip off my feather inlay and do another, as it looks really bad...but other than that, I have been very pleased with the rod...

Jake

P.S. I bought the kit, and I should mention that the rear grip broke off right at the EVA knob - bulider error, I somehow didn't get the butt section far enough into the grip... I remedied that by extending the butt section with a bit of a broken 12 wt. blank I had, and running it right through the knob, and finishing it off with a decorative wood plug. Can barely tell now.

19. thewaker

Media:
    Salmo,

I ended up shortening my fore grip to 11" and left the rear at around 5". Before I glued them I had a reel on it and I liked the way my top hand felt closer to my bottom hand for the shorter length rod. Thats just me though. Like you said with these rod blanks being so affordable,they are darn near like bic lighters compared to the high end rods. You break one and you wont even shed a tear. They cast very well in my opinion.

Kind of fun to roll your own too. My first try and I think I will build again. Once you build one you already know what you would do different/better, how to bling it out, add fancy hardware etc. A ton of options in the custom building world I'm discovering. The possibilities are endless. Fun stuff.

Mark