Guide to Pflueger Medalist Reels

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by jwg, Dec 22, 2012.

1. jwg Active Member

West Richland, WA
    Ratings: +100 / 0
  2. Old Man Just an Old Man

Dillon, Mt
    Ratings: +1,626 / 0
    I had one of those from the 1970's. Talk about a knuckle buster. First fly reel I ever owned. Have no idea where it is now. It could be in a garbage pit for all I know.
  3. East Fork Active Member

Vancouver, WA
    Ratings: +2 / 0
    5 oz or so for a 5 weight reel.
  4. Grayone Fishin' to the end, Oc.P

boring, oregon
    Ratings: +110 / 0
    THANKS JWG
  5. kbrooks tight lines

Stanwood, washington
    Ratings: +14 / 0
    I’m using Medalist reels on my three poles. I’ve had them about 10 years and they have taken a fair amount of ill treatment. They are not the best looking reels nor the lightest. I’d like to replace them but they won’t stop working. Kirk
  6. Nooksack Mac Active Member

Bellingham, WA, USA.
    Ratings: +109 / 0
    kbrooks: don't waste any more time; get the reels you want. Those Medalists are never going to wear out - never.
  7. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Thanks for the post. I still have "several;" I use these on old-school bamboo heirlooms. And they DON'T wear out, but CAN greet knuckles rather abruptly. It's all good.
  8. Kyle Smith Active Member

Bozeman, MT
    Ratings: +242 / 0
    What are you guys doing to hurt your knuckles on them? Am I fishing them wrong?
    Steve Bird likes this.
  9. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Ratings: +213 / 1
    I like the old pre-war medalists. Click/pawl, sculpted pillars, round line guard, etc.
    This is the reel for my Sage GFL 686... Medalist 1494 circa @ 1931-1937
    They don't get much smoother than this.
    P1020256.JPG
    bakerite likes this.
  10. bakerite Active Member

Baker City Oregon
    Ratings: +74 / 0
    Nice picture, bitterroot. Thanks for posting this jwg. I'm a fan of the medalist too, but did have one I purchased as a teenager wear out. The retaining part of the post wore out after about 40 year of being my main reel....had to buy a new one of ebay!
  11. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
    Only 40 years? You should return that to Pflueger for a refund!!!!!:D
  12. PfleugerPhister Active Member

Warshington
    Ratings: +50 / 0
    I have a few, although none earlier vintage than the early 70's. I love their aesthetic.
  13. Dorylf Oregon Member

Salem, OR
    Ratings: +61 / 0
    They don't wear out, that is, if you put some Lock Tight on the screws.

I was fishing one day for steel and had the reel fall off. The seat was still attached to the rod, but unknown to me screws had been sneakily making their escapes.

It was years ago and the only reel I had that day. I remember having to McGiver a solution, some combination of moving screws from other parts of the reel, sticks, and bailing wire or something like that. I do remember fishing the rest of that day.

Solid little reels, though. I still have four, all but one U.S. made.

Phil
    David Dalan likes this.
  14. Steve Bird Member

Northport Washington
    Ratings: +29 / 0
    Poor man's Hardy. Have two I've been fishing since I was a kid, from the mid-60's, & a later rim-drag model. Still fish them all. They sold for about 20 bucks in the 60's, & I don't think they cost much more than that now, though the newer ones aren't the same quality, & with a crappy finish that doesn't last. That old model with the sculpted bars & line ring is a beautifyl thing. No more of a knuckle buster than any other single action reel might be if one sticks their knuckles into the spinning knob for no good reason.
    East Fork likes this.
  15. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Ratings: +104 / 0
    Hey, thats cool. Using that site, I have just dated my 'hand me down' Medalist to 1972.
    Thanks for the info. I have nicer reels, but I use this one alot because of sentimental value.
  16. Jim Ficklin Genuine Montana Fossil

Columbia Basin
    Ratings: +603 / 0
    Hooking Steelhead . . . plus a few BIG Browns back home.
  17. fredaevans Active Member

White City, Oregon, USA.
    Ratings: +118 / 0
    Used these guys for Decades. Only two gave up on me. One via a very frisky King Salmon, the other the front wheel of a truck. Reels weren't up to that level of abuse.
  18. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Okay; stupid question......
    When I got mine, it was set up for right hand retrieve. I changed that to left; but now that I am paying closer attention, I am thinking that the 'line guide' needs to be moved around a bit; it sits at the bottom of the reel. Yes?
  19. bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Montana
  20. Bradley Miller Dances with fish

Tacoma
    Roger that. Heading for the rollaway now for a screwdriver.
    Thanks.