Guideline Warranty experiences...what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by James Waggoner, Apr 24, 2011.

1. James Waggoner

James Waggoner Active Member

Media:
    Need to send my rod in for a warranty repair, anyone have experience with the guideline warranty program? I'll go online to figure out where to send, just wondering what to expect for a timeline or hassle factor if any.

Thanks, James.

2. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

What did you do james??? I was fishing Friday and the bottom grip of my Echo Solo was starting to serperate. Called Tim at reajeff sports took it in and he gave me a new one. I hope there just as nice to you.

3. James Waggoner

Media:
    Must have been a nick in the blank...after casting, quick mend snap! No pressure just pop! It was my second cast of the morning, so who's to say, perhaps I damaged it in my truck, by dropping a tool or something, in the back seat, on it. Oh well, good thing it's my winter rod.

James.

4. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

Thats too bad but good that its your winter rod. There web site says look to your dealer. The fly shop over on Halsey is on there website. Might want to call them. Or black heron in Longview

5. woodlander

woodlander New Member

6. James Waggoner

Media:
    Woodlander, thanks....Sent Struart an email. Imagine that after all these years lurking, I get the honor of your first post! Welcome and thank you for chiming in.

James.

7. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    He's more into hulking than lurking :D

8. woodlander

woodlander New Member

James, you are more than welcome, I normally PM people if I have something to offer but I thought this info would be of interest to others on this Forum.

Brian aka Shotgunner, are you going to be at the Guideline Event on the 14th?

9. Leroy Laviolet

Leroy Laviolet Aint no nookie like chinookie

Media:
    Reguardless, guideline rods are worth the wait. Hope it's a short wait-

10. James Waggoner

Media:
    Stuart Green is on top of it. And yes, It's hard to beat a Guideline rod they are definitely worth waiting for. Going to have to put some money together and get a few more so I'll have back ups. By far my favorite winter rod!

So if i was to get another winter rod what would YOU recommend? Was thinking about getting the 13'7" 8/9 for medium to larger waters, strung with a Guideline DDC of course. Is the 9/10 worth considering or would it be over kill for most NW waters?

11. sandspanker

sandspanker Member

well get the 9/10 then you have a reason to go up north to skeena and the dean for big ones... or at least that is what i would tell my wife. LOL

12. James Waggoner

Media:
    Brian or Woodlander, do you guys know if Guideline hosts events in the NW?

13. James Waggoner

Media:
    Now, that's building for the future..."Get behind me Satan!"

14. shotgunner

shotgunner Anywhere ~ Anytime

Media:
    Woodlander; I'm really hoping to make the shindig. Have you a Mick McDaid 50' r to lend for a couple weeks? Can return at the gathering ;)

James; I thought there were a couple in the past. I'm sure Bill Kiene hosted one not that long ago.. quite a ways south of you I know. Looks to be increasing amount of interest in Guideline gear and equipment. Make a mention to Mr. Green, sounds like multiple shops / dealerships in WA [Oregon?] seems like it could be beneficial to all.

Re the 13'7" 9/10.. FANTASTIC sunk head stik. Not as heavy as the line class suggests, being a Euro rate rod. Link to some good info about head prefs: http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/74235-Whom-has-cast-the Still grinning from post #9 ..lol..

A Power Team member told me that he felt the 14'8" 10/11 and 13'7" 9/10 shared many characteristics and lent themselves well to shooting heads. In comparison the 14'8" 9/10 and 13'7" 8/9 share similar flex profile, not quite as aggressive, great for shooting heads yet friendly to longer bellied lines. I've fished / cast both 9/10's enough to get a feel for them and agree. Have the 14'8" and like it a lot. Shopping mid belly lines now.. been using a standard Delta 8/9 which feels like a long cut head on it.

15. k2flyfisher

k2flyfisher You're only so smart as what you choose to share.

Media:
    Home Page:
    also re: the 13'7 9/10...its a howitzer with incredibly fast recovery and great feel into the hands. turned a delta 9/10 into a shooting head with 1.5' of rear taper @ about 55'...removing the running line and a bit of the rear taper lightened up the line a bit, dropping it right into the sweet spot of this stick...positive turnover at 100'+ with medium sized flies.

16. James Waggoner

Media:
    I Keep coming back to the 13'7" 9/10. I think it's a toss up at this point between the 14'8" 9/10 and the 13'7" 9/10. K2 your suggesting with the delta is a great one I'll keep it in mind. I tried something very similar with my 7136z and a 6/7 delta, it shoots very well with medium flys and a small cone head....my only regret is or perhaps need, is to get a 7/8 delta for those windy days. The lighter set up just gets blown around way too much. That gets me back to the larger guideline rod; I would like to have something that will handle wind, like my 12'6" Lecie W/ an 8/9 DDC, but with a longer head...Brian that 9/10 Delta (Cut and modified) on a 13'7" 9/10 rod may just fit the bill exactly!

...but the 14'8" gets me into the world of long belly, should I dare to venture there...which is probably inevitable.

17. James Waggoner

Media:
    I'd like to report my Le Cie is back in action. Thanks Guideline! Yeah it took about 5 weeks but it was from out of the country. Even Sage in the past has taken 4 weeks and almost 7 weeks on another.

Thank you again Stuart Green, at Guideline, for a great rod and the warranty work.

18. Panhandle

Panhandle Active Member

Media:
    Did you get the 13'7 8/9?

19. James Waggoner

Media:
    no the 12'6" 8/9.

20. woodlander

woodlander New Member

You will like the 8/9, very light in the hand with a nice crisp action, a joy to cast.