Guiding Not Permitted?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 9, 2012.

1. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Just saw the new rules for the Skeena system include a number of restrictions for certain rivers: No guiding permitted.

Curious as to what you guys' opinions are on the matter. It's amazing to see the number of guides on the coast. A couple weekends ago I could tell that about half the boats going by where guided. ("mend, mend, inside water, mend"!)

I personally feel like there's a middle ground. A good guide is a huge asset for the conservation of a river. However, they really ought to limit the numbers of guides on a system to a reasonable number.

2. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Media:
    Home Page:
    Agreed

3. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

I think what they are talking about and restricting waters because of the "guides" who aren't from b.c. who set up shop up there for a couple months and run their "clients" through on a consistant basic's...Claim public camping...no one else gets in...some real tools...some from down here, some from over seas...

There are many local b.c. guides who you can hire..no more weekend fishing for non b.c. residents on most rivers as well...Kick in the shorts for the local hotels etc.

Always a few jackasses who ruin it for everyone else..you see the same on the OP non wa. plate guiding services...

4. robspe7370

robspe7370 Member

Looks like they have found an ingenious way to make sure tourists will always spend a good amount of money while there. No DIY fishing on the weekends means hiring a guide, or more likely spending more days in the area since you will have to use up vacation,PTO etc. during the week.
    They claim it is for fish protection, but it smells an awful lot like xenophobic locals getting pissy when an outsider intrudes on "their" rivers. For some reason this sentiment seems eerily familiar.:rolleyes:

5. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Media:
    Coming from the Virginia guy holding a steelhead ;) How's the steelhead fishing in Virginia this time of year? ;)

kamishak steve likes this.
  6. robspe7370

robspe7370 Member

I earned that one.Trust me.

Beleive it or not, there is a Skamania strain in our (in)famous Jackson River that runs out of Lake Moomaw, one of our bigger mountain lakes. The program is in it's infancy, but something is better than nothing.

7. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I don't see a problem with it, it is "their river" in their country and protecting the angling experience for the locals seems reasonable. Most of the people who are going to spend the dough to make a trip up there,are not going to let the day of the week stop them.

Ed Call likes this.
  8. Brian Thomas

Brian Thomas Active Member

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Media:
    As long as BC has better fishing for wild steelhead than WA state has, it will be difficult for me to criticize BC's choices of management decisions.

Sg

10. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

my experiences in BC make me really wonder who has the better fishing.. maybe if you live there or happen to always pick the right week to go.. I have taken two trips to BC in the last 10 years both times I got blown out..

One time we floated the babine the second time we fished out of smithers.

On the babine I hooked 6 fish for the week the largest was 17.. didn't get to fish the last 3 days

the week out of smithers i went 2 fish for the week the one i landed was 15 had blown out conditions the first 3 days

that same time of year i can have a ball chasing coho and have 3-10 12 lb fish per day..

I might go to the Skeena again some day but it;s such a crap shoot for conditions that if i never go again i cannot say i would miss it.

11. dryflylarry

dryflylarry "Chasing Riseforms"

Media:
    No Guiding Service = Less Less Crowds

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    People fish on the weekends? Why on Earth would you do that? Fishing, that is what the work week was made for...weekends are for family!

13. alpinetrout

alpinetrout Banned or Parked

Media:
    That's the downside of the one-size-fits-all guide licensing system in Washington. When fishing is hot on one fishery, every guide in the state can pounce on it if they want to. In BC, guides are licensed by specific waters they're allowed to guide on, so you don't get the same situation people are seeing on the OP this year.

John Hicks likes this.
  14. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

also i never thought BC was crowded in fact except on the float from Telkwa to Smithers on the bulkley people were mostly few and far between

15. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Media:
    Home Page:
    Agreed fully. As far as the guides jumping rivers thing, that shit boils my blood. It's amazing how many guys are out guiding rivers that they know very little about.

16. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

The locals want to fish on the weekends without getting pounded..this "law" has been in discussion for some time...Mostly locals and residents were getting pissed off by overseas and out of province guides who were setting up shop and running clients through them all season...when you pull into a first come first served camping area and see tents set up that aren't in use but put there for "clients" use and you are from that province and have no where else to camp etc. it would piss you off some as well I'd think...

Unfortunetly...IMHO they threw the baby out with the bath water on this one and let the guides and lodges dictate what they wanted for monetary reasons...

Limiting days one could get a license on the same system etc AND having DFO out to enforce it would have done more to solve the problem..

17. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Something else I'd like to say on this Jesse and I'm sure I'll take a bunch of heat for it is...I also used to think of guides as "stewarts" of the rivers..but the more I'm out there the more I question this thinking...The days of guys on the OP sharing their knowledge and respect for the fish has taken a back seat to using methods "deemed" fly fishing that are not and instead badger the poor fish out of any resting water they might have had in the name of catching more fish for their clients...

Up north, guides taking over camping area's etc. Sending off weekly blogs and naming small systems with few wild fish in them all in the name of selling goods and services in their shops instead of protecting these fish irritates me no end...
    Fudging numbers or blatantly lying to get people to sign up etc. etc. etc.

Last but not least the guide out of forks with pic's of all the dead wild steelhead he's got his clients into....WTF???

I know there are guides who are fly only and that means fly only...but that almost seems an oxymoron now...

Chris Bellows likes this.
  18. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

What about the American guy who buy's a house in Spences Bridge and has an amazing number of "freinds" rotate thru during the short THOMPSON season.I think there should be a limited number of days that foreigners can fish on classified waters and it should be monitored by confiscating boats/trucks and gear if broken.The days should be consecutive days and you get one shot--say 5-7 days
    This has become an industry on the Thompson as well as the \Bulkely and should stop

19. Benjy

Benjy Active Member

Media:
    On the other side of things the guides are facilitating experiences with people who may come to care about the place enough to get involved in conservation. They are spending money that trickles down to the very people who are complaining about the crowds. It's hard to believe with all of the bureaucracy that plagues this state that it is so easy and cheap to become a guide, and that it's a free-for-all out there.

20. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Media:
    With my keen ability to be good at campfire conversation, travel with a nice bottle of spirits for OFF the water use when NOT operating a motorized vehicle or boat and some cool stories to tell that will support my inability to put any true pressure on a fishery any full campsite would welcome me to pull up a chair. I can sleep in my rig, it is pretty comfy and not upside down.