Guiding Not Permitted?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by JesseC, Apr 9, 2012.

1. I bought my first ever BC license this year. Now to figure out where to use the damn thing.... I was actually at the Fraser clave last weekend, but failed to meet you while I was there.

golfman65 likes this.
  2. The other day a guide pulled in to the take out just as we were loading our boat on the trailer. He was so wasted that he fell out of his boat wearing hippers, soaking himself. A little while later he talked me into backing his trailer down the ramp to retrieve his boat claiming to be too drunk to do it. Apparently he "cooned em' real good". Good for him. There definitely seems to be a lack of professionalism out there, coupled with a complete lack of respect for the resource.

3. What are you guys talking about??? BC has it figured out!!!!

These regulations are meant to benefit your everyday local resident angler, NOT GUIDES, and certainly not the out of province fishermen that come from washington oregon california, etc, that stay in RVs in public parks, don't use guides, don't stay in hotels, bring their own food, booze, etc, don't contribute much to the economy besides the occasional gas up, and exploit a very delicate and precious resource: the last great steelhead fishery on earth.

Proposed regulation changes include:
    Saturday (and some sunday) closures for most of the more popular fisheries closer to towns to non resident anglers in an effort to allow residents the chance to fish.
    Some Class 2 rivers will be Class 1
    Extension of the season for mandatory steelhead stamp for some fisheries

Rod days:
    The number of guides on those rivers is already restricted. Every quality river system in BC has something called Rod Days. There are a finite number of these issued each year which can be bought and sold between guides, but can only be held by licensed outfitters, and they regulate the number of days that ALL GUIDES TOTAL can spend on any given watershed. The number of these days are chosen based on the carrying capactiy of each particular river.
    You only need to go to the OP in feb-April to see how too many guides can over run a fishery. Or, coincidentally, where I guide in Alaska, where throwing a beer bottle out of a float plane flying anywhere over KNP is nearly guaranteed to hit a fishing guide yelling "MEND UPSTREAM, - NO, YOUR OTHER 'UPSTREAM' !!!"
    For residents of BC, you buy a classified waters license in addition to your existing license, which allows you to fish all the special rivers in the province for the rest of the year without special tags. Non-residents pay a daily fee for each day they go on these rivers. This is not a new regulation, but some of these fisheries are going from class 2 to class 1 (more expensive per diem license cost for non-resident anglers), and more fisheries extending the period where a steelhead stamp is mandatory. While much of this revenue generated by increased fees will go to enhancement, or watershed conservation, it is more used as a deterrent for non-resident steelhead bums. I know it sucks for us Washington residents, but for BC, its fisheries and its anglers, it makes a lot more sense.

Brian Thomas likes this.
  4. What about the American guy who buy's a house in Spences Bridge and has an amazing number of "freinds" rotate thru during the short THOMPSON season.I think there should be a limited number of days that foreigners can fish on classified waters and it should be monitored by confiscating boats/trucks and gear if broken.The days should be consecutive days and you get one shot--say 5-7 days
    This has become an industry on the Thompson as well as the \Bulkely and should stop​
    Americans , and other NRA`s , are the least of the problems the Thompson faces .

TRUE. The netting of chums to provide a marginal commercial fishery concurrent with steelhead migration, periodic dewatering, erosion of principle spawning tributaries (such as the Deadman) and the extremely F#cked up estuary known as downtown vancouver probably have more to do with the plight of the Thompson steelhead than anglers ever have or will.

5. In regards to the Angling guides as stewards comment:

Sure there will be a few bad guides in any bunch, but do not forget that there are only 2 conservation officers (enforcement) for THE ENTIRE SKEENA REGION. that is countless steelhead streams, and the peak of steelhead season also coincides with a lot of Moose, deer, elk, sheep, goat and other hunting, which these officers are also enforcing. That is a lot of work spread over a huge region. Without some trustworthy guides keeping watch on various rivers every single day and calling to report infractions to make life a little bit easier for C.O.'s, their difficult job would be made even more difficult.

The process to become a fishing guide in BC
    To become a Licenced Angling Guide in BC you must:​

1. Write and Pass an exam to prove your knowledge of the regulations in the region(s) you plan to guide​

2. Write an Angling Guide Operating Plan (AGOP) 3. Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada (landed immigrant) and is 19 years of age or older (or has attached an exemption under Section 100 of the Wildlife Act). The applicant further certifies that he or she holds and will maintain a minimum of $500,000 public liability insurance applicable to his or her angling guide business and effective for the period during which s/he operates.​

For me to become a guide in Alaska, I have to go onto the ADF&G and click guide license $100.00, process completed. Insurance required: $0.00, training or examination process: nothing.​

The exam is probably a cake walk, the AGOP is probably pretty easy as well, but it's SOMETHING at least that regulates who can be a guide in BC...

6. As for this american dude on the thompson, I don't know him, but if somebody would send me his name, I'll look him up my next trip through. I'd like to shake his hand. Any advocate of BC steelhead conservation is a friend of mine.

7. ummmmm, you can fish washington year round for steelhead. certainly not every river or region but there is always something open for steelhead.

and besides that, i think it is good that many of our wild fish runs have closures during the late spring to let the fish spawn without being molested regardless of run size.

if you want to get upset over the inequities of fisheries between washington and BC... take a look at the saltwater regs in the strait of juan de fuca for salmon and halibut.

8. It's their country so they get to make the rules. If we (NRA's) don't like the rules, we don't have to go there. On the other hand, we could push for similar regs for Canadian's. Double the price, and no admittance to Disneyland on weekends. :D

9. Tit for tat versus Canadians isn't really going to solve much for washington steelhead. I honestly see very few BC plates driving around compared to OR, CA, CO, and MT plates. It's a U.S. issue and I'm happy to see restrictions on out of state anglers and guides. It's after all OUR state and you can come play or not just like others alluded to in BC.

10. They're not gonna come down here for steelhead. They have plenty of them up there. But sunshine and Disneyland they do not. LOL

Ringlee likes this.

11. That's a pretty big misrepresentation of the guide requirements in AK. To guide operating a motorized vessel on navigable waterways (pretty much everywhere in Bristol Bay for example) requires a Coast Guard License, TWIC card, drug test consortium documentation. Every guide is required to be First Aid/CPR trained.

You only have to buy the guides license if you guide under a lodge, but if you own a lodge or run your own company, you must have insurance, business license, etc. http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=prolicenses.sportfishguides
    While you as a guide may only pay $100, your employer is shelling out for insurance, business license, park/refuge permits, etc.

ADF&G is night and day compared to the WDFW requirements and I don't hear many complaints about the requirements. $250 to WDFW and you're a guide!!!

12. I don't know what you look like evan?
    knew most of the others though!!!

13. I was the guy you didn't know wearing the bright green jacket. Was there hanging out with Dave Henry, if you know him.

14. I'm pretty familiar with the process to become a licensed motorized vessel operator in AK. I've done it.
    Yeah, the whole coast guard license thing is a pain, but you only need it if you are driving a boat, so for all those guides doing raft trips on the moraine/alagnak/kanektok/goodnews/etc, or walk and wade trips anywhere, etc, you really don't need anything at all besides the ability to click a webpage. and for all the headache and government bullshit it is getting the coast guard license, getting the TWIC card, taking a drug test (i don't see that happening for Canadian fishing guides anytime soon), they don't require you to know anything about the regulations of the watersheds you actually plan to guide on... In BC it is more watershed specific which i think would benefit us in alaska but also in WA.

My real point was that the fisheries have a set limit on the number of yahoos that can guide on it and the number of days that those guys can have clients there. In doing so you have a finite amount of pressure on the resource from guiding, and although I think guides are great stewards and all of that, we are definitely harder on the resource than the average fishermen, in that guided anglers generally catch more fish...

Regardless, washington's guide requirements are a joke, and illegal guiding & guide crowding have really ruined some of our fisheries (eg sol duc in march), and i think bc is taking the right steps to prevent that.

15. Know Dave well...hmmm can't place the bright jacket though..blue fj on the left end ...

16. I`m the guy who won the Loop Evotec 6126 in the raffle .
    Cool little stick .

17. yeah we know you zugbug...

18. I think I was down the beach chasing cutties when they drew names.

19. Up on the Kenai sometimes they will have the river closed to guides for a day of the week. Last time I was up there they closed on Monday I think. Didn't really thin out the crowd all that much from my eyes. I think it is just better for the local anglers like Chris posted.

20. I would be in favor of having a limited entery permit to guide each river as long as the money went to someone other than the Feds, BLM, or the Stategeneral fund. I think at this piont I would rather burn all my dough in the fire place than see any of it go to the above. WDFW would be ok.