Gun Dog

Discussion in 'Cast & Blast' started by Blake Harmon, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Last year I was slamming the board looking for information on various dog breeds in an attempt to make a decision on what kind of fishing/hunting dog I wanted/needed (in my opinion) :)

I ended up getting a English Springer Spaniel and his name is Otto. He goes just about everywhere with me fishing, and I have done a little bit of bird training with him. First and foremost he is a fishing dog, because that is what I spend most my time doing. But after doing a some upland hunting last year I cannot wait to get out there with my pup! Here are some various pics of him out and about with me on the water. He is a great dog and I could not be happier.
    just thought I would throw up some pics of the pup and his progression. It really is amazing to me how fast he grew, and how smart these dogs are.
    Otto Is now 9 Months old, And hes looking forward to running into some of you board members on the river sometime, so if u see us, please say hi!

tight lines
    -Blake

2. Blake, you have a great partner there. Best of luck this fall in the uplands...

3. I have had some very good friends that are springers, now their hunt/owners, well.
    Tana, was a super dog, only problem was her owner did not teach her to not chase the flying bird out of sight.
    Tana, went off a cliff while hunting chuckers.
    Use what ever you want to stop your dog, like "No bird" or just "No" "tight" "Woooo"
    Have a great season.

4. Great looking pup Blake, good luck this year! I am counting the days to grouse opener!

5. Cool Blake, a man needs a good dog by his side.

6. I cant wait for the Grouse opener either!
    We have some good grouse hunting around spokane, I just stumbled upon most of it chasing down whitetail last season.

7. You have a good looking ESS. I was in the same boat as you. I couldn't decide on getting a Boyken or a Brittney. Then Molly came along and it was a done deal. Gonna be picking her up this weekend!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. I have tales of my dad's springer...you can avoid that by keeping them in good shape, well groomed, and well trained. My choice for a second dog is a springer. I wish the very best of luck to you and your dog.

9. Thank you!
    Ive kept him really active this summer, and it will be a good transition into the season. I am dying for it to start. the only thing I do not look forward to is juggling hunting and chasing around steelhead! theres just not enough time in the day.

Thats a good lookin dog MR E!

10. Nice looking pup! While I'm a Lab (currently Labless) guy, I did own one Springer, Taz (registered as Razmataz). Gave him to an autistic boy back in Montana . . . I was installing road culverts nearby & the lad & Taz bonded. The boy's Dad asked if I would sell him & explained the miraculous improvement in his Son since he had Taz around. Told him "No," but I'll give the dog to your Son . . . always figured that's why Taz came in to my life. Josh & Taz prospered. Prior to that, Taz was a dynamite upland dog . . . keep yours clipped short when hunting . . . Springers are veritable burr magnets. Was out early today renewing coyote-hunting access; the rancher I visited had 2 Great Pyrenese . . . very gentle (unless you're a coyote) . . . since I quit bird-hunting, I'm intrigued . . . would be a great fishing companion (and coyote retriever?).

May you & Otto enjoy many fun years together.

11. Good looking springer you have there. Last year I was in the same dog search as you were Blake and I adopted a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon. Jake does seem to get the pointing/retrieving part of life but his big value to me is as friend and companion. My feet have not been cold since he found the rug in front of my easy chair. Good luck in making those hunting/steelhead choices.
    MikeMc

12. Super dogs, guys! Since I hunted both ducks and upland birds, I went with the Field Trialer Goldens, now on our second and third dogs. Unlike their blonder, blocky-faced show dog cousins, field trials Goldens tend to resemble short-haired Irish setters; long snout, less fringes, better legs, and really smart! The "little" one's crashed beside me right now, and our older one's downstairs with mom.

13. Another one for all you with these great creatures!

14. Good looking dog!

15. The springers I have hunted with are super birdy and do tend to go a long ways chasing running and flying birds. I've had labs that did the same thing. The best thing I've come upon to control a hunting dog in the field is a combination beeper/e-collar. After a command, if ignored, use the locate button to give a short beep. If the command is still ignored, a "nick" of electricity will almost always result in obedience. It usually takes only a couple of stimulations for the "beep" to be the only correction ever needed. It is much better than running after the errant dog yelling at the top of your voice. When the dog comes back to you, all you do is love them up and they never associate you with the correction. I love my collar! Rick

16. Here is my new pup-a 10 month old English Setter currently in training in cheney WA

17. cool looking pup Rick.

18. "The best thing I've come upon to control a hunting dog in the field is a combination beeper/e-collar. After a command, if ignored, use the locate button to give a short beep. If the command is still ignored, a "nick" of electricity will almost always result in obedience. It usually takes only a couple of stimulations for the "beep" to be the only correction ever needed. It is much better than running after the errant dog yelling at the top of your voice. When the dog comes back to you, all you do is love them up and they never associate you with the correction. I love my collar! Rick "

there's a lot of threads on e-collars around. I never had a beep collar, but I've a dogtra collar with a pager function, sorta like the vibrator on a cell phone. It's pretty easy to teach them to just come to you when they get paged, I've found it very effective. Today's e-collars are so far advanced over those of a decade ago, I think they're the greatest thing to happen to dog training ever. And, when the collar comes out, my buddy Dutch knows it's time for something fun...