NFR Gun Enthusiasts ... Happy Saint Pattys Day

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by royalcoach, Mar 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

You may have heard on the news about a Southern California man who was put under 72 hour psychiatric observation when it was found he owned 100 guns and allegedly 100,000 rounds of ammunition stored in his house. The house also featured a secret escape tunnel.

By Southern California standards, someone owning 100,000 rounds is considered "mentally unstable".

In Michigan, he would be called "The last white guy still living in Detroit".

In Arizona, he would be called "an avid gun collector".

In Arkansas, he would be called "a novice gun collector".

In Utah, he would be called "moderately well prepared", but they would probably reserve judgment
    until they made sure that he had a corresponding quantity of stored food.

In Kansas, he would be considered a guy down the road you would want to have for a friend.

In Montana he would be called "The neighborhood go-to guy".

In Alabama he would be called "a likely gubernatorial candidate".

In Georgia he would be called "an eligible bachelor".

In North Carolina, Virginia, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, and south Carolina, he would be called a "deer hunting buddy".

And in Texas, he would be just called "Bubba" .... who is "just a little short on ammo".

And here in Maine and New Hampshire .... he would be called "my brother" :D

2. Mark Kulikov

Mark Kulikov Active Member

I'd just call him one more reason why it's so damned hard to find a box of ammunition anymore. Sarcastically speaking. ;)

Sent from my little square phone thingy...

3. Trapper Badovinac

Trapper Badovinac Author, Writer, Photographer

I have seen variations of this and thought it was funny.

I was talking to a friend of mine who is an avid hunter and fly fisherman. He lives in Pasadena, California. I asked him if it was true that they sent a guy to the psych ward for having a bunch of guns and ammo.

He told me the guy was sent in for psychological evaluation in lieu of arrest because he was flashing his junk to little kids in Wal Mart. When police went to his home they found the guns but the guy has no previous record, so that's why he was sent in for evaluation instead of being arrested.

I concur with Mark that ammo hoarders really drove the price of ammo up. I reload and the price of components has gone through the roof in the past few years. I've yet to figure out the run on .22 LR.

Trapper

jordan101 and McNasty like this.
  4. royalcoach

royalcoach Active Member

We just had a Bass Pro Shop grand opening a couple months back in Southern NH.
    They had pallets and bricks and buckets of .22 LR on-hand for the celebration.
    Stuff sold quick as word spread like wildfire through the state.

5. Mark Kulikov

As I understand it, the 22 is coveted by the preppers as it is considered the best small game round which will provide the food source for the family when society falls apart. One would think that the garden variety shotgun would also fill that requirement; however, there does not seem to be any shortage of shotgun shells on the store racks. Personally, I'm hanging on to my 50. Hawken replica and stocking up on black powder because I can shoot gravel out of that damned thing for small game if I really wanted to. :)

6. Trapper Badovinac

Hmmmm. I see. Well, I've killed plenty of Foolhens with a rock and stick and released too-many-to-count cottontails from my Have a Hart trap I've got set up to capture wood rats. I've shot deer and one elk with my .54 Thompson black powder.

Still I find it hard to believe that there are enough preppers out there to create a coast-to-coast shortage of .22 lr.

Some say "The Government" is stockpiling .22 lr, but last time I checked .556 rifles won't chamber .22 lr. ;)

Trapper

7. GAT

GAT Active Member

There's a shortage of 22 LRs? I didn't know that. Of course, because the 22 LR rounds are smaller than most, I have stocked piled 600,000 in a bunker I built in my back yard.... just for the hell of it :)

When the survivor crowd runs out of bullets, they'll need to buy them from me! Bwaaaahahhahha hahaha

8. Trapper Badovinac

Gene -- Since folks are telling me that .22 LRs are going for .60 cents/round, it seems like you've figured out an ingenious IRA. :) I knew there was more to you than just truly great cartoons . . .

Trapper

9. Mark Kulikov

I've created a shortage of wood dowels at the local hardware store as I'm building and stocking arrows by the dozens for my longbow. Fletching is gettting scarce as birds quit coming around my place for some strange reason.

10. GAT

GAT Active Member

Trapper, I don't have a 401K so the ammo stock is indeed my retirement plan. :)

11. Roper

Roper Idiot Savant

WTF does St. Patrick's day have to do with this...?

nailbender likes this.
  12. wadin' boot

wadin' boot Donny, you're out of your element...

St Patrick was a gun nut? I thought he just banished snakes, but maybe he shot them out of Ireland

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.